Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I tried to open a new bank account today and I have to admit it was one of the hardest things I have ever tried to achieve. It took me five trips to the bank in total! Firstly, I had to get the forms which is fair enough. I went home, filled them in and returned. I also took two forms of identification; my passport, to verify my identity, and a bank passbook from a building society, to verify my address.

Unfortunately the computer would not accept the, passbook although the forms said that it would, so I went home, again, to get a bank statement and my NI card and all the information that comes with it. When I returned to the bank I was told that he statement was over three months old so I couldn't use that (even though I only get one every six months) and the NI information could not be used as it has "THIS IS NOT A PROOF OF IDENTITY" printed all over it.

I went home again, this time to get my medical card, surely that would work...right? Wrong. After going to the bank for the forth time I realised that, although my medical card had my current address on, the postcode had one different digit because my postcode had been changed since it was issued. So, I left for the medical centre, which I was told could change it for me straight away.

They couldn't. They changed the information on the computers but could not give me a new card. Instead I had to send my card off and request a new one from a main office in the city.

I can see why the bank had to do this and it is now its responsibility to do so. However, does it really need to be this hard for someone to open a bank account? Especially for 16 year olds who find it hard to find any usable ID such as credit card bills or Inland Revenue letters. All I needed to do was prove my address. There was no question of who I was, just where I lived. Surely if I didn't live where I said, I couldn't get the card they are sending me to launder money!

I did manage to open the account in the end but I won't be convinced until I get the card through the door. Is it only me who has these difficulties?

ReputationRep:
    Nah, it's not just you, banks tend to be a pain when it comes to ID related things. Even if you're clearly who you say you are, they'll still need about 3 forms of ID and a DNA sample to prove it. This is why I now try to do all my banking online - so much easier.

ReputationRep:
    i opened mine on line, no rush. no hassle and no walking back n forth hehe

ReputationRep:
    Open a bank account online eh... didn't know you could do that. Do NatWest allow that? They're the only people who don't insist upon crappy Electrons.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by mdm708)
    Open a bank account online eh... didn't know you could do that. Do NatWest allow that? They're the only people who don't insist upon crappy Electrons.
    They still want you to go into a branch with proof of ID.

The only way you can get away without showing ID is with online banks like ING, and that's because you have to link them to another account where you will have already shown ID.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emonk89)
    I tried to open a new bank account today and I have to admit it was one of the hardest things I have ever tried to achieve. It took me five trips to the bank in total! Firstly, I had to get the forms which is fair enough. I went home, filled them in and returned. I also took two forms of identification; my passport, to verify my identity, and a bank passbook from a building society, to verify my address.

Unfortunately the computer would not accept the, passbook although the forms said that it would, so I went home, again, to get a bank statement and my NI card and all the information that comes with it. When I returned to the bank I was told that he statement was over three months old so I couldn't use that (even though I only get one every six months) and the NI information could not be used as it has "THIS IS NOT A PROOF OF IDENTITY" printed all over it.

I went home again, this time to get my medical card, surely that would work...right? Wrong. After going to the bank for the forth time I realised that, although my medical card had my current address on, the postcode had one different digit because my postcode had been changed since it was issued. So, I left for the medical centre, which I was told could change it for me straight away.

They couldn't. They changed the information on the computers but could not give me a new card. Instead I had to send my card off and request a new one from a main office in the city.

I can see why the bank had to do this and it is now its responsibility to do so. However, does it really need to be this hard for someone to open a bank account? Especially for 16 year olds who find it hard to find any usable ID such as credit card bills or Inland Revenue letters. All I needed to do was prove my address. There was no question of who I was, just where I lived. Surely if I didn't live where I said, I couldn't get the card they are sending me to launder money!

I did manage to open the account in the end but I won't be convinced until I get the card through the door. Is it only me who has these difficulties?
    you could have taken a letter from your school confirming where you live and your name.thats what i did and it worked instead of a bill on my name

ReputationRep:
    i got a letter from my school about me opening a bank account, just took me two trips to the bank and whola they mailed me my card after 2 days.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I didn't have a problem. But I think that's because my mom had already opened an account for me when I was a child. This account had been "closed", but I had the old paying in book and I used my National Insurance LETTER as this was an official document along with something from my mother to prove she lived with me.

I guess the best thing is to already have an account and time it just right so you can use the statement :P Otherwise, its really hard. But if people didn't launder money, then there'd be no need to make things so hard.

ReputationRep:
    i need to learn about banks. i dont know jack about them.......

ReputationRep:
    I've had no problems opening an account online. Seemed fairly straightforward to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PhoenixSTL)
    I've had no problems opening an account online. Seemed fairly straightforward to me.
    Perhaps I should try to open them online in the future then.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.