microchip implants cause cancer in pets

Watch
Brezhnev
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
http://www.wnd.com/index.php?pageId=131533
Do implanted microchips cause cancer in dogs and cats?

That's the question owners are asking after highly aggressive tumors developed around the microchip implants of two dogs, killing one and leaving the other terminally ill.

The owners – and pathology and autopsy reports – suggest a link between the chips and formation of fast-growing cancers.

'I could see it taking his life'

A 5-year-old bullmastiff named Seamus died last month after developing a hemangio-sarcoma – a malignant form of cancer that can kill even humans in three to six months, explains privacy expert, syndicated radio host and best-selling author Dr. Katherine Albrecht.

Albrecht, an outspoken opponent of implantable microchips, has been contacted by pet owners after their animals experienced what they believe to be side effects from the procedure.

According to a pathology report, Seamus' tumor appeared between his shoulder blades last year, and by September a "large mass" had grown with the potential to spread to his lungs, liver and spleen.

Seamus underwent emergency surgery, and doctors extracted a 4-pound, 3-ounce tumor from the dog. They used four drains to remove fluid from the area in which the tumor had developed. The veterinarian informed the dog's owner, Howard Gillis, that there had been two microchips embedded in Seamus – one presumably inserted by the dog's breeder when Seamus was only 9 months old. The chips were both located in and around the tumor.
See, we don't test these things for safety, we assume that they are safe.
We should approach implant technologies with extreme caution, but we don't. I just hope that no humans have been implanted with these carcinogenic devices.
catiecashman
Badges: 12
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Brezhnev)
See, we don't test these things for safety, we assume that they are safe.
We should approach implant technologies with extreme caution, but we don't. I just hope that no humans have been implanted with these carcinogenic devices.

N'awwww
Drunk Punx
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
*sighs*

"That's the question owners are asking after highly aggressive tumors developed around the microchip implants of two dogs, killing one and leaving the other terminally ill. "

Let me get this straight... there are 2 cases of it, and all of a sudden it DEFINITELY causes cancer? The guy next door to me smokes and has a cough that could wake up people in Scotland, but I don't have that bad a cough and I smoke. Judging by yet another bad analogy of mine this morning, I'm going to say that this case was subjective and all the animals rights people can go back to where they came from and stay there, and take the green eco nuts with them.

Not only that, but the chips in one of the dogs were inserted by the breeder? She may have not used sterile equipment to do so, thus an infection WILL spread.

"Albrecht, an outspoken opponent of implantable microchips, has been contacted by pet owners after their animals experienced what they believe to be side effects from the procedure."

Key phrase here; 'what they believe'.
Are these people vets? No. Animals get ill, it's a fact, just as we get ill. Yes, they may get ill due to having an unknown body planted inside their skin, but it's most likely a temporary illness until the animal get used to it.
Girls get all hormonal (even worse than usual) after having the implant, so why should this be any different? It's not, and yet again, someone is finding something to complain about because they're not getting their own way.
FTstudies
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I don't believe this is true, there needs to be more evidence. My last dog kept developing a cancerous tumour on his neck, and he had no such implant. It might just be hereditory in some dogs?
roxy potter
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I find it hard to believe. We've been using microchips on horses for a long long time and I've never heard of a suggestion of cancer with them before. Of course, it could be something specific to the genetic make up of dogs and cats in which case I wouldn't be worried about humans.
Installation
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Sounds like bull, do some tests.
raspberryswirl
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by FTstudies)
I don't believe this is true, there needs to be more evidence. My last dog kept developing a cancerous tumour on his neck, and he had no such implant. It might just be hereditory in some dogs?
Yes, a lot of dogs get tumours as they get older.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (219)
55.87%
I don't have everything I need (173)
44.13%

Watched Threads