The Student Room Group

A2 AQA BUSS4: Strategies Businesses could have adopted to prepare for the recession.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
BP could be easily linked to ethics and reputation, especially at the moment. >.<
haha yeah, im just confused about what we actually need to know for this exam? I quote the prerelease-

&#8226; How the recession can create opportunities and threats for businesses and industries

&#8226; The long-term strategies and short-term plans adopted by businesses in the recession

&#8226; Factors influencing the strategies businesses adopt in the recession

&#8226; Strategies that businesses could have adopted to prepare for the recession

&#8226; The possible impact of the recession on stakeholders and on relationships between businesses and their stakeholders

&#8226; The case for and against different businesses and industries receiving government financial support during a recession.

&#8226; Your research should consider the effects of and reaction to the recent recession in the UK in relation to different businesses and industries.

Do we then just find examples for each of those points? as well as good general knowledge of the content for Unit 4?
Reply 182
BP are good to see how they are (or aren't) managing a crisis well, with links to contingency planning, environmental responsibility, conflicting stakeholder objectives, ethics, etc
would anyone fancy sharing their revision notes so far?
assassin231
haha yeah, im just confused about what we actually need to know for this exam? I quote the prerelease-

How the recession can create opportunities and threats for businesses and industries

The long-term strategies and short-term plans adopted by businesses in the recession

Factors influencing the strategies businesses adopt in the recession

Strategies that businesses could have adopted to prepare for the recession

The possible impact of the recession on stakeholders and on relationships between businesses and their stakeholders

The case for and against different businesses and industries receiving government financial support during a recession.

Your research should consider the effects of and reaction to the recent recession in the UK in relation to different businesses and industries.

Do we then just find examples for each of those points? as well as good general knowledge of the content for Unit 4?

i would share mine as i know how frustrating all this revision is! but i've written all mine by hand. i've revised (still have lots to do) each point here though by writing about a page on each of the points like general arguments for and against.

Then i've also chose companies who i've wrote in the middle of the page and applied the relevant points in a type of spider diagram i.e. used British Airways for threats in recession (weak positionin porters 5 forces and high cost base-wages,fuel etc) also commented on strategies could have adopted (thought about cost minimisation-cost leadership in porters generic, contingency plans for strikes which they've kind of done, also can mention ansoffs market penetration and development if penetration doesn't work) and also other points such as mergers with iberia (although that's section b).

I'm worried i might be confusing you further here lol but thought i'd let you know how i've done my revsion, hope it's helped :smile:
thanks, it did help! Im just confusing myself about what we need to know for section A and what we need to know for section B
i think section a is just those 6 points and bringing in other businesses and then section b was mergers/aquisitions, culture, leadership and strategy. And also to remember p.e.s.t.l.e in section b to find relevant points.

I can't really remember but we are meant to bring in businesses in section b too aren't we (except it doesn't have to be realated to recession)
Remember this was set 18 months ago. The recent stuff with BP will definitely not be in it. It's going to be stuff from the beginning of the recession Case Study wise although it could be good to bring it in as examples.
rosiec678

I can't really remember but we are meant to bring in businesses in section b too aren't we (except it doesn't have to be realated to recession)

Yep, meant to bring them in as much as possible throughout, backing up your arguments with examples from real life firms.
rosiec678
i would share mine as i know how frustrating all this revision is! but i've written all mine by hand. i've revised (still have lots to do) each point here though by writing about a page on each of the points like general arguments for and against.

Then i've also chose companies who i've wrote in the middle of the page and applied the relevant points in a type of spider diagram i.e. used British Airways for threats in recession (weak positionin porters 5 forces and high cost base-wages,fuel etc) also commented on strategies could have adopted (thought about cost minimisation-cost leadership in porters generic, contingency plans for strikes which they've kind of done, also can mention ansoffs market penetration and development if penetration doesn't work) and also other points such as mergers with iberia (although that's section b).

I'm worried i might be confusing you further here lol but thought i'd let you know how i've done my revsion, hope it's helped :smile:

That was really helpful, cheers :biggrin:
Reply 190
I thought it would be useful if for every bullet point in the case study, we could write down what businesses to research. If any wants to add to the list, feel free :smile:

So below is the case study alongside businesses to research:

In your research on the recent recession in the UK you should consider:

how the recession can create opportunities and threats for businesses and industries - Apple

the long-term strategies and short-term plans adopted by businesses in the recession - Starbucks

factors influencing the strategies businesses adopt in the recession

strategies that businesses could have adopted to prepare for the recession

the possible impact of the recession on stakeholders and on relationships between businesses and their stakeholders &#8211; Tesco

the case for and against different businesses and industries receiving government financial support during a recession &#8211; car industry
Reply 191
flemingo92
Remember this was set 18 months ago. The recent stuff with BP will definitely not be in it. It's going to be stuff from the beginning of the recession Case Study wise although it could be good to bring it in as examples.

Obviously not for the recession, but for Section B you can clearly use BP as an example.

vn2009

how the recession can create opportunities and threats for businesses and industries - Apple, Aldi/Lidl/Poundshops, Dominoes Pizza,
Primark
for ops, car dealers, luxury brands (in general), firms selling durable goods (in general) for threats

the long-term strategies and short-term plans adopted by businesses in the recession - Starbucks (cutting back short-term expansion), Aldi (growth strategy)

factors influencing the strategies businesses adopt in the recession

strategies that businesses could have adopted to prepare for the recession

the possible impact of the recession on stakeholders and on relationships between businesses and their stakeholders Tesco

the case for and against different businesses and industries receiving government financial support during a recession car industry, banks
Reply 192
What companies are you guys researching?

I'm researching Tesco and British Airways. :smile:
Reply 193
Adam92
Obviously not for the recession, but for Section B you can clearly use BP as an example.

Which businesses are you researching by the way? :smile:
Reply 194
vn2009

Which businesses are you researching by the way? :smile:

I've done Apple, John Lewis, Subway, Tesco, Aldi, banks, manufacturing, BA and I'm guna do a bit more :smile:
Reply 195
Adam92
I've done Apple, John Lewis, Subway, Tesco, Aldi, banks, manufacturing, BA and I'm guna do a bit more :smile:

Are there particular websites where your doing most of your research from, or just general websites?

For me, im looking at tutor2u and The Times.
Reply 196
vn2009

Are there particular websites where your doing most of your research from, or just general websites?

Same, ha.
vn2009

i've looked at tutor2u but generally just use google to search information on businesses once i know what i'm looking for

And pretty much all information is in a couple books my teachers have put together which is useful. guess this would be similar to any aqa business book however
I really don't have a clue what to do for this exam.

Do you think I will be able to get an E without revising for it? I need to get an E to get an A overall.
Reply 199
Adam92
Same, ha.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending