Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    anyone going to or at Plymouth?

i will be starting in September and i am in Pilgrim halls.

just wanted to see if there is anyone else out there.

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying to Plymouth, but I'm year below you so won't be going til next year if I get in. It's my first choice though so hopefully I will. Good Luck for your first year!

ReputationRep:
    Plymouth's a lovely place from what I remember I'm not going to the uni although I did live in Plymouth for a year and a half

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to apply to Plymouth for 2005 entry through Clearing. The uni has already confirmed me that they would like to give me an offer of a place as soon as they receive my CEF. I'm an international student and so I'm worried about whether there is still any spaces left in the Halls of Residence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazing_ellie)
    I'm applying to Plymouth, but I'm year below you so won't be going til next year if I get in. It's my first choice though so hopefully I will. Good Luck for your first year!
    me too i really like the sound of plymouth altho live 5 miles away any one got any good views to plymouth to pursuade me more!

ReputationRep:
    Can someone please let me know a few weblinks where I can find out some pics of Plymouth uni (the campus buildings, halls of residence, etc)? I've tried to search it in the uni website but couldn't get one.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.plymouth.ac.uk/pages/view.asp?page=6778

theres 3 of the diferent halls you can choose from with pics. as i said im going to be in Pilgrim. (which is really nice)

ReputationRep:
    Thanks blackhalen.

ReputationRep:
    TSR members, who are applying to Plymouth uni either this year (through Clearing) or next year, should take a look at Unofficial Guides website to get a real view of the uni. If you're planning to stay in the Halls of Residence then you should be very careful in choosing the best one for you.

Here is what the unofficial guide says:

(Original post by Unofficial-Guides.com)

Accommodation Details: Some dos and don'ts when applying for accomodation. Don't apply to stay in Devonport halls without prior thought, they may be cheap, but they've been described as 'slummy.' This hall is rumoured to be up for destruction when new blocks are built at the Exmouth site. In defence of Devonport they have been described as very sociable. This is often the case with scummy halls of residence so if you're not bothered about aesthetics bear them in mind.

Don't apply to Radnor, this is the worst of both worlds, anti-social and it has no cleaners. Do apply to stay in Gilwell Halls, these are not too expensive and are very sociable and fun for a first year hoping to meet lots of people and have a laugh (which is, lets face it, most).

For anybody hoping to live it up a little, Robins is the 'posh block'. Though cuttingly described as 'where all the snobby people stay', I guess that means it's nice. There is criticism that it isn't that sociable and this is down to the layout. It's not that communal and the stairs for the top rooms are demanding after beer and your late night food of choice. You can get broadband for £25.

The Hoe Centre is located on Notte Street about 1 min from the city centre and is just like a maximum security prison hospital. In fact it actually was once! There's one long corridor making it very sociable.

Pilgrim Halls are newer halls of residence which offer standard and enhanced en-suite rooms (basically, the carpet is fluffier and the walls are plastered as opposed to breeze blocked). A range of rooms are offered to suit all prices, and they're quite sociable too. Flats range from 3-8 rooms with a large kitchen at the end of each flat. Broadband internet access is provided (currently for free) in each room, as well as a phone service, which is charged on a pay-as-you-go basis. Each room is equipped with a large wardrobe, and plenty of shelf and drawer space. The cleaners are really nice (like a second mum, according to some students), and they visit twice a week to clean your kitchen and hallway. One bad thing I would say about living in Pilgrim is that the laundry room is a bit of a trek, and there are nowhere near enough machines for all of the students that wish to use them so be prepared to queue (or you could make friends with someone in Robbins and find out the PIN for their laundry block. A wash load is £1.50 and drying 50p.

Mary Newman is the only on-campus hall and it's as scabby as hell. Think building site, hospital corridor and non-descript headquarters of the world potato marketing board. All halls are within three miles of campus if you're staying at the Plymouth site.

Accommodation Prices:University Owned
    £38 - £65 pw. 39 weeks.

Private
    Average rent: £40 per week.

To read more, click here.

If you haven't heard about Unofficial-Guides.com, then click here.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for that.

what course are you going to be doing at Plymouth?

im gona do Media Arts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blackhalen)
    what course are you going to be doing at Plymouth?
    Hopefully, BEng Civil Engineering (H200) with a year in industry.

ReputationRep:
    Hello all TSR members,

After you gain admission in University of Plymouth, please don't forget to include yourself in the list made by PQ in the thread 'Members at University'. Here is the link:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/t100684.html

ReputationRep:
    is there anyone going to Technology department of Plymouth?

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, im going to plymouth in september to. im guna be studying architecture. looking forward to it. where u guys from. ie south east north etc.

ReputationRep:
    I live 30 mins from Plymouth and its a FANTASTIC PLACE!!

ReputationRep:
    bats her eyelids back, yeh and im a proud meber of the anti blond league. im not sure if we mean to fight for rights for blonds or destroy them. i forget, but its not my fault, im blond. yeh i cant wiat to get to playmouth, im staying in robbins which should be good fun.

ReputationRep:
    Do you guys want a subforum for Plymouth? If yes, then please click here.

ReputationRep:
    *guys/gals( especially ) going there in sept*

watch out for a guy going there from wales called rob jones. beware...

ReputationRep:
    lol ys that?? who is he? what halls etc?

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,
    Im starting Plymouth Uni in a couple of weeks time, doing Digital Art & Technology in the Technology Faculty obviously

I applied through clearing, so couldnt get into Halls which I was really pissed about. However I had a look around accomodation on the clearing open day and found a 28 bedroom student house in Greenbank terrace (2min walk from north hill) which I hope will be fun with all the other students

The house looks a bit old and dated furniture which was a concern at the time, but i dont care really im sure it will be great fun regardless!!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 10, 2005
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.