Turn on thread page Beta

another dumb question, covering letter watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    what would i put in one of these?

ReputationRep:
    Where you saw the job advertised, why you want to work for the company, why you are applying for the job, skills and experience that show you would be good at the job and why you are suitable, and availability for interview, that's what I've been putting, and I've had interviews after sending them like that.

ReputationRep:
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    Dear Madame.

My name is Sarah Harding and I am currently and 18-year-old student who has just finished her A Levels. I saw your advert for a student veterinary nurse on the Fish4 website and thought that the position you were advertising would be an ideal prospect for me. I would like to have to have the job, as my main passion in life is animals.

I have worked in many animal related jobs including a Pet Shop where I am still currently employed. I have also worked as an assistant Dog Groomer and a Kennel. While working in these jobs I have come into contact with many different types of people, which I feel have increased my skills in dealing with the public. I have had to console customers on numerous occasions that were unhappy with leaving their dogs behind at either the Groomers or the Kennels.

Working at the Pet Shop has really increased my knowledge of general animal care from Hamsters to Horses. Many of the customers I deal with ask for advice on nutrition, medication, such as worming, fleas etc and general animal care. I feel after working for the shop for almost three years I have gained very sufficient knowledge in basic animal care and I feel I can bring skill with me into a career in veterinary nursing.

this is what ive writen so far can i have some feed back#?

ReputationRep:
    Feedback = Excellent.
    You can't really better that as it includes your personal lifestyle into the equation as well.

ReputationRep:
    really? your not just saying that? i really need this job!

ReputationRep:
    As I used to own and ride horses too, I feel I really do have a lot of potential to excel at anything this job may ask of me. Im willing to work hard, I have excellent people skills and a good phone manner. I also enjoy every aspect of animal care, no job would be too small.

I hope to hear from you soon

Yours Sincerely

Sarah Harding

closing stament

ReputationRep:
    no, really it is very noticeable that you are willing and keen with an obvious love of animals. Trust me, you'll be cool.

ReputationRep:
    I said it elsewhere, but if you're starting your letter with Dear Sir/Madam, you need to end it with 'Yours Faithfully'

ReputationRep:
    damni know i had that bit wrong though i have her name in front of me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trigger)
    Dear Madame.

My name is Sarah Harding and I am currently and 18-year-old student who has just finished her A Levels. I saw your advert for a student veterinary nurse on the Fish4 website and thought that the position you were advertising would be an ideal prospect for me. I would like to have to have the job, as my main passion in life is animals.

I have worked in many animal related jobs including a Pet Shop where I am still currently employed. I have also worked as an assistant Dog Groomer and a Kennel. While working in these jobs I have come into contact with many different types of people, which I feel have increased my skills in dealing with the public. I have had to console customers on numerous occasions that were unhappy with leaving their dogs behind at either the Groomers or the Kennels.

Working at the Pet Shop has really increased my knowledge of general animal care from Hamsters to Horses. Many of the customers I deal with ask for advice on nutrition, medication, such as worming, fleas etc and general animal care. I feel after working for the shop for almost three years I have gained very sufficient knowledge in basic animal care and I feel I can bring skill with me into a career in veterinary nursing.

this is what ive writen so far can i have some feed back#?
    Form of address: if you have the lady's name, obviously use it ("Dear Mrs/Ms/Miss X") and end with "Yours sincerely". If you don't have a name, use "Dear Sir/Madam" and end with "Yours faithfully".

I wouldn't bother saying your name in the first sentence - this will be obvious from the letter (print your name at the end).

First paragraph: I would re-phrase this a bit, perhaps something like this might work - "I am an 18-year-old student and have recently finished my A Levels. I have seen your advert for a student veterinary nurse on the Fish4 website and think that the position would be ideal for me, as animals are my main passion in life. I would therefore like to apply for the position."

Second paragraph: "I have also worked as an assistant Dog Groomer and a Kennel." Do you mean "and in a kennel", or "at a kennel"? "Which I feel have increased" should be "which I feel has". Last sentence - I would again re-phrase slightly: "After working at the shop for almost three years, I have acquired a significant amount of knowledge about basic animal care and I feel that I can bring this knowledge with me into a career in veterinary nursing."

Don't overdo the capitals - words like "pet shop", "dog groomer", "kennel", "hamsters" or "horses" should all use lower case.

I hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for all your hepl im just off to the post box

ReputationRep:
    As I used to own and ride horses too, I feel I really do have a lot of potential to excel at anything this job may ask of me. Im willing to work hard, I have excellent people skills and a good phone manner. I also enjoy every aspect of animal care, no job would be too small.

I hope to hear from you soon

Yours Sincerely

Sarah Harding
    A few more comments, if you can bear them!

I would re-arrange the first paragraph a little: "I really feel that I have a lot of potential to excel at anything this job may ask of me. I am willing to work hard, I have excellent people skills and a good telephone manner. Since I used to own and ride horses, I enjoy every aspect of animal care and am familiar with what is involved." (Hmm, not sure about the last sentence but I can't think of anything better right now...)

I presume that you are sending a copy of your CV? You could refer to it and mention that you enclose a copy of your CV for more information (or something).

ReputationRep:
    thanks for all your hepl im just off to the post box
    Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    This is really a bit late isn't it? but you shouldn't use phrases such as "I feel" and "I think" etc, they indicate uncertaintly. Simply use "It has improved my skills" rather than "I feel it has improved my skills" for instance.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.