Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Viper)
    That i just don't get, being Jewish is not just a religious thing. :confused:

Could I be a Jewish Muslim then?
    A jewish person can convert to being a muslim (if they let him/her) and a muslim can convert to judaism. Or maybe if your mother is jewish and your father in muslim you can be both (guess you'll have to choose one so you don't become an schizophrenic).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anabelle)
    You can be an atheist jew (I am one). You are jewish if you are born from a jewish mother or if you convert. Judaism has a religious part (basically beliving in god, which I don't) and a way of living part (civilization or whatever you wish to call it). That includes the food, the social heritage and the pride for the number of nobel prizes (now that I'm going to LSE I have twice that pride ). People who were born jews and who live a jewish way of life, meaning that they don't deny their judaism and still eat falafel, sometimes are antisemitic.
    So what, different sects of Judaism? Hey I could still be Jewish then, I do eat Kosher meat aswell as Halal (same thing to me)

ReputationRep:
    A jewish person can convert to being a muslim (if they let him/her) and a muslim can convert to judaism. Or maybe if your mother is jewish and your father in muslim you can be both (guess you'll have to choose one so you don't become an schizophrenic).
    From what I've seen they're both pretty much alike anyway. So i could embrace both.

ReputationRep:
    If who let him/her?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Viper)
    So what, different sects of Judaism? Hey I could still be Jewish then, I do eat Kosher meat aswell as Halal (same thing to me)
    Judaism isn't a vertical religion. I don't eat kosher (well I'm a vegetarian so some people say I do, I don't know). Basically you read tha bible and take what you want from it and go to temple once in a while. Unless you want to be religious and dress in balck or wear long skirts you are jewish by respecting the way of life. Of course really religiuos people sometimes say atheist jews who don't respect those things aren't jewish, but they don't have the authority to say that, because if you where born a jew and don't deny it, you are jewish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Viper)
    If who let him/her?
    The person who regulates conversion. You have to go to a temple and do some things to convert to judaism.

ReputationRep:
    The person who regulates conversion. You have to go to a temple and do some things to convert to judaism.
    Oh i heard, something like you'll have to live as a Jew for a year to show your committment and then I think a panel of Rabbi's decide whether to allow you to convert or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bismarck)
    A non-Jew could only convert to Orthodox Judaism (to make sure that he is really dedicated to Judaism). Most Jews belong to Reform or Liberal sects, which don't interpret the Torah literally or simply view the Torah as a set of guidelines and not strict rules. Most Orthodox Jews adhere to the literal interpretation of the Torah.
    Its a shame theres a rift between two religions who are almost like for like . I mean on the whole coz i get along fine.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for confirming my opinion of you.
    The Neturei Karta stand up valiantly for what they believe in in the face of zionist violence.

Being anti-semitic means that you are racist against people of the Jewish/Judean race. Most Orthodox Jews still have racial links with this group of ancient people as do many non orthodox Jews. So for a Jew to be snti semitic , they'd have to be racist against the Jewish race. Which is plainly ridiculous.

guess you'll have to choose one so you don't become an schizophrenic
    He he he

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Viper)
    Its a shame theres a rift between two religions who are almost like for like . I mean on the whole coz i get along fine.
    Different religions are the excuses for violence, not its cause.

ReputationRep:
    Different religions are the excuses for violence, not its cause.
    I suppose, just because ones a Jew and ones a Muslim, stupidly enough its a reason enough for some people to be violent to one another. I wonder if we took the labels away, would there be much chance for peace?!

ReputationRep:
    I have become increasingly wary of them now; I was forwarded something from The Simon Wiesenthal Centre which I did not appreciate. I have noticed it is all very well opposing Islam and the forces of barbarism, but whenever one moves against the Jews, they are automatically pilloried...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CW Esq)
    I have become increasingly wary of them now; I was forwarded something from The Simon Wiesenthal Centre which I did not appreciate. I have noticed it is all very well opposing Islam and the forces of barbarism, but whenever one moves against the Jews, they are automatically pilloried...
    Who opposes Islam?

ReputationRep:
    Your President for a start, and whilst he is not supported by a large majority, I would say the vast bulk of Americans support his policies against Islam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Viper)
    How does that work then? Jews being anti-semetic to people of a fellow religion? I don't understand that one.
    There are also plenty of Americans who are anti-American. What's hard to understand?

ReputationRep:
    Is that why Bush visited several mosques right after 9/11 and regularly talks to Muslim leaders in the US? What has Bush ever said against Islam? Does he not always call Islam a religion of peace?
    Well he would hardly start savaging them would he! It is all about public perception, and the Americans are very susceptible to it all; just look at their national conventions and party rallies. Look at Bush's F/P and it is painfully clear what I am talking about. Look for the link between it all.

ReputationRep:
    Well he would hardly start savaging them would he! It is all about public perception, and the Americans are very susceptible to it all; just look at their national conventions and party rallies. Look at Bush's F/P and it is painfully clear what I am talking about. Look for the link between it all.
    You think Bush attacked Iraq and Afghanistan because he hates Islam? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Oh gracious! You remind me of a Floridian I met, expect perhaps you are marginally more intelligent.

ReputationRep:
    Oh gracious! You remind me of a Floridian I met, expect perhaps you are marginally more intelligent.
    Bush isnt waging a war on islam, only a fool would think so. A war against terror is not a war against islam, although terrorists would like the all muslims to believe this so they can recruit more people, but i'd say only the really young and impressionable ro stupid are susceptible to thinking this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bashment)
    why are and do the jewish members of the forum call me anti-semetic and hate me so much??

i have never criticised or labelled jews in any way ? yet i get called anti-semetic alot of the time and get alot of hate from them ??!!

eg whenever i post something they all gang up on me and report me etc

so i was just wondering if they would be so kind as to explain why ?!
    Show me where the 'jewish members' of the forum have said that they hate you and that you're anti semitic.

I haven't?

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.