Turn on thread page Beta

Am I able to go into clearing? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    What if you miss your firm choice offer, but don't want to go to your insurance, and decline it. Does this make you able to go through clearing?

ReputationRep:
    I'm in a very similar position to u...i can't imagine goin anywher else but my firm choice and know that i will miss the grades for it by perhaps one, but will still do enuf to get into my insurance...But what i've understood is that ur bound by a contract to ur insurance uni as well...and therfore need to be asked to be released by them before u can enter clearing....

I think thats rite...someone correct me if i'm wrong

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    If your firm or insurance uni accept you (REGARDLESS OF GRADES) then you're technically obliged to either go there in the Autumn or take a gap year or go to a uni in another country.

You *can* contact the uni's that have accepted you on results day and explain that you've changed your mind and ask them if they will release you.

They don't have to, in most cases they will do, but they're unlikely to rush it through and it may take up to a week.

While you wait you can contact universities in clearing and ask if they would make you an offer, always explain that you're waiting to be released and that you will only be able to send your CEF to accept an offer once this has been processed.
    So really we should've got ourselves released from our insurance long before results day. Better still, don't have an insurance at all.

I'm gonna ask if I can go into one of the other science courses on clearing at Notts (my firm) before asking my insurance to release me and enter clearing properly. I don't wanna go to my insurance at all

ReputationRep:
    im exactly the same.. just really wanna go to my firm choice
    !

ReputationRep:
    What's your insurance iris?

ReputationRep:
    This may sound really dumb, (I'm only 16 and haven't begun the whole uni process yet) but why did you guys put these unis down as your insurance if you really didn't want to go there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Bex~)
    This may sound really dumb, (I'm only 16 and haven't begun the whole uni process yet) but why did you guys put these unis down as your insurance if you really didn't want to go there?
    That doesn't sound dumb; it's a valid point. Perhaps they simply changed their minds...
    I did the exact opposite and put down an AAB offer as my insurance; not to worry

ReputationRep:
    You mean you put a higher or equal one as your insurance? because there is eff all point in that :-s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fleece)
    You mean you put a higher or equal one as your insurance? because there is eff all point in that :-s
    My insurance offer is still below my firm.
    Surely it's better to have an insurance with a higher or equal offer than putting an insurance down that you don't want to go to?
    I don't intend to offend the original topic creator though - we all change our minds sometimes.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Fleece)
    Not completely pointless as the insurance university might be a little more under-subscribed (especially if you've got a different course or something) so they may still accept you if you're rejected by your firm, even if their offer was equal/higher. My insurance offer was equal to my firm cos those were the two unis I really wanted to go to. Though I admit it's better to have a lower offer as your insurance.
    Jenn xx

ReputationRep:
    In relation to going to insurances with higher offers, you must remember that some universities include General Studies, Critical thinking or Key Skills in their offers, whilst others don't.
    For example, an offer of BBC at York could be superceded by a BBB offer from Sheffield, as you could recieve results of BBD and a A in General Studies, meaning your higher insurance choice that accepts General Studies (like Sheffield does) would actually be easier to achieve than the BBC one.
    Do you follow? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I put it down thinking that i would like to go there. but newcastle is the only place i wanna go.. so am gonna keep trying for that

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.