Turn on thread page Beta

General studies....will they consider it if u miss the offer? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Basically the course i want to do at Birmingham says that it will take general studies into consideration if u narrowly miss the grades you require for ur course....But wot exactly does narrowly mean??????? by a few UMS or by a whole grade???? And also how important do u think GCSE results are if u miss the grade?

Of course before someone says it i mite as well say it....'all of this is pointless if there are no spaces left on the course and everyone else meets the grade etc, etc.'

ReputationRep:
    GCSE grades shouldn't be important. I'm not sure how to interpret "Narrowly", maybe one grade less...it shouldn't go on UMS points

ReputationRep:
    I would have thought 'narrowly' was probably missed an offer by 1 grade

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    yea, that was the arguement our head of 6th form made for GS, that the unis may look at it to make a decision even if not part of the offer! .. i wouldnt have thought GCSEs will be that important though!.. You could use UMS to argue and plead for your place... to show not far from the grade etc x

ReputationRep:
    I don't think they'd consider GCSEs, but they might consider General Studies. By 'narrowly missed' they probably mean by a grade, but if you get any high UMS marks, use them to plead your case.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 17, 2005
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.