The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
That paper made me feel suicidal
Reply 781
Ihategcse
what I meant is:

http://www.catalysis-ed.org.uk/principles/images/activation_energy.gif

something like this.. mine just got progressively smaller 'bumps' and I only had 2.

CRAP I put one curve but just below the other one :'(.
Reply 782
Ihategcse
what I meant is:

something like this.. mine just got progressively smaller 'bumps' and I only had 2.

omg wtf.
I had only one curve that was lower than the one given.
wtf is that drawing! omg panick :O
Reply 783
hey_its_nay
for number 1 did you put
p
q-p

i put this, but the second one is supposed to be p-q, because q was bigger and it was an exothermic reaction.
Ihategcse
what I meant is:

but surely only 1 step was shown?
Webbykun
CRAP I put one curve but just below the other one :'(.

I think thats fine :smile: its like that in the book...
Did not like the paper today...not that it was REALLY hard but I made loads of silly mistakes :frown: Hoping I'm gonna scrape an A
gildartz
but surely only 1 step was shown?

yes, but my reasoning was:
catalysts lower the activation energy by providing an ALTERNATIVE pathway.. therefore it cannot be direct product to reactant.. as alternative pathway suggests more than one set of reactions has to take place...
I am not sure if I am right..I mean in terms of practical chemistry it seems to be correct.. but i couldn't care less about that.. i only care about my exam :P.
A lot of people said they put one curve only.. that I why I am 2nd guessing.
Reply 788
GUYS dont panic it is USUALLY one curve below the other

that diagram simply shows the ACTUAL happenings of most catalysed reactions - ie they go thru several steps with v low Ea so overall Ea is lower, but one curve is expected

i dont know if youll get the marks for that, probably will do, but if its a clearly 1 step reaction then maybe not althought i doubt theyd be that harsh
Reply 789
Webbykun
Why do I not remember these questions?!?! :frown:

Ha..you're not the only one. As soon as we come out of the exam and my friends start discussing the questions i never know what they're on about. :o: Not a good sign, memory loss at this age...
Reply 790
The Young Economist
Did not like the paper today...not that it was REALLY hard but I made loads of silly mistakes :frown: Hoping I'm gonna scrape an A

Same, I didn't think it was that bad until I came on here :P
I think I've lost 15-25 marks, so really hope the grade boundaries are low :/
becca-x
Same, I didn't think it was that bad until I came on here :P
I think I've lost 15-25 marks, so really hope the grade boundaries are low :/

70 is usually an A (well there have only been 2 exams so far.....) Good Luck!!! I think I might just make it *hoping*
Reply 792
I always do this to work out a rough estimate of how many marks I've lost:
Marks lost = known definite lost marks X 2
so like, I know for certain I lost 7 marks on todays paper overall.
Those are the KNOWN lost marks. Now multiply by 2. So like overall I got around ~85/100ish

Trust me, this technique is pretty accurate :smile: Well I dunno but it works for every exam I've done last year (AS) and this year (A2), on results day I pretty much get what I expected lol
Reply 793
The Young Economist
70 is usually an A (well there have only been 2 exams so far.....) Good Luck!!! I think I might just make it *hoping*

80 is an A :smile:

Edit: SORRY! thats for unit1. I have no idea about unit2. you're probably right. so sorry!
Island.
80 is an A :smile:

Edit: SORRY! thats for unit1. I have no idea about unit2. you're probably right. so sorry!

I'd advise to check the AQA website. 67 and 71 have been A's in the past two exams :smile:

http://store.aqa.org.uk/over/stat_pdf/AQA-A-LEVEL-AND-AS-NEW-GDE-BOUND-JAN10.PDF

http://store.aqa.org.uk/over/stat_pdf/AQA-GCE-NEW-GDE-BOUND-JUN09.PDF

No worries got your edit now :smile:
all the grade boundaries will change
it won;t be exactly 80 for an A
June 2009 CHEM2 you needed like 67/100 to get an A...
and i think jan 2010 was around the 75 mark
and seeing as the difficulty of this paper was inbetween
i'd go for the middle of them marks for an A

that sulphuric acid mechanism question was mean
but some application was needed
as i realised 5 minutes before the exam ended...
Found this paper pretty good. The question layout was fairly weird and seemed designed to trick you though. Especially section B and the zinc extraction processes.
You know for the last question where zinc reacted with steam, and they asked to name the products, did you just put zinc oxide and hydrogen ?
eddhann
Whats a Tertiary Haloalkane :s-smilie: I thought that ethanolic hydorxide favours elimination, but was elimination even on the paper?

A primary haloalkane has one carbon attached to the carbon with the C-halogen bond, a secondary haloalkane has two carbons attached and a tertiary haloalkane has three carbons attached to the carbon with the C-halogen bond. I don't know if the question was about elimination or not, it seemed like it at first but I don't think it was...:s-smilie:

Ethanolic hydroxide does favour elimination as well, so it could have been the reason.
Reply 799
Scarface-Don
You know for the last question where zinc reacted with steam, and they asked to name the products, did you just put zinc oxide and hydrogen ?

Yes, because it reacts similarly to Mg

Latest

Trending

Trending