Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i have ridiculously curly hair, like a poodle. i use trevor sorbie curl cream, "tames and defines", makes my curls really glossy and soft.

my hair is quite dry as well, i like using umberto giannini curl friends shampoo (called cleanser i think) and conditioner. i have found that tresemme for dry hair and boots hair science products for curls are really good as well, and cheap!

for straigthening, l'oreal hot straight is ok, and i use umberto giannini sleak and chic blow dry cream and miracle finisher. if i am splashing out i get tigi fashionister heat and iron protector, and the bed head shine spray, which smells delicious.

ReputationRep:
    BlueAngel, what product is that?!

I'm all excited now. I've never found any specially created curl product that does *anything* to my hair. And it doesn't straighten (no, not even with GHD's - while you straighten one side, the other side is visibly curling up again) so I need something that works.

ReputationRep:
    mata do you blow dry it first before you straighten? if you dont you should, and use a ceramic brush. i found the barrel brushed hard to use even though my hair dresser makes it look easy, but i found this brilliant ceramic blow drying brush in boots that is easy to use. it is a clamp, the same shape as straighteners, so its easy to pull the hair taught while you blow dry, and my hair is practically poker straight when i finish, i just use the straighteners to tidy it up afterwards.

ReputationRep:
    Princessa: I haven't tried blow drying myself, but the hairdresser did. Poor lady, she tried everything she could. She even cut a bit of hair off and tried to chemically straighten it. Apparently it lasted a couple of hours and then a breeze got to it and wham, curly again.

I might try that trevor sorbie cream you suggested though, it sounds good. May I ask, are you black or mixed race? I just find that even with straightening my hair doesn't look 'straight' it just looks sort of flattened... wondered if it was the same with other black hair.

ReputationRep:
    Out of interest, do people find curly hair attractive? There is alot of portrayal in hollywood i.e. princess diaries were her 'frizzy' hair is straightened, therefore making her a princess.
    Which is more attractive curly/straight? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mata)
    BlueAngel, what product is that?!

I'm all excited now. I've never found any specially created curl product that does *anything* to my hair. And it doesn't straighten (no, not even with GHD's - while you straighten one side, the other side is visibly curling up again) so I need something that works.
    Here are some fab products for curly hair!!! :

http://www.lookfantastic.com/cgi-bin...duct/View/2564

http://www.lookfantastic.com/cgi-bin...duct/View/2566

http://www.lookfantastic.com/cgi-bin...duct/View/3717

http://www.lookfantastic.com/cgi-bin...duct/View/2454

http://www.lookfantastic.com/cgi-bin...duct/View/1277

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mata)
    Princessa: I haven't tried blow drying myself, but the hairdresser did. Poor lady, she tried everything she could. She even cut a bit of hair off and tried to chemically straighten it.
    :eek:

yea, im mixed, and my hair is quite long and thick. sometimes it just refuses to straighten and sometimes it comes out really well, but only if i do the whole long ritual of washing, deep conditioning, blow drying and straightening it. and i hate it when i do all this for hours and then i step out the front door and it starts to drizzle :mad: i feel like crying!

i like the trevor sorbie stuff because it defines the curls without making my hair "crispy", which i really hate!

its been a lot better since my hairdresser decided to put layers into my hair because my ends were in really bad condition and she had to chop a load off. i thought layers would just look stupid on my hair but actually it has a really nice shape both when it's curly and straight.

(Original post by Curly_topps)
    Out of interest, do people find curly hair attractive? There is alot of portrayal in hollywood i.e. princess diaries were her 'frizzy' hair is straightened, therefore making her a princess.
    what pisses me off is in magazines when they are like "girls, curly hair is in!" and then they have a picture of a model who's hair is just vaguely wavy. but
    i think curly is cute. i really hate my hair sometimes but i am coming to terms with it, i am trying to embrace the curl. i was teased loads at school and i hated it, but they all had crap greasy hair so im not fussed. my teacher used to say "oh your hair is beautiful, you remind me of diana ross!" which didnt do much for my confidence at ten years old. i think i prefer having straight hair only because it is so much easier to handle, when it looks a mess at least i can run a brush through it to tidy it up, whereas when it's curly i just have to look a mess. and i have to wash my hair every day for it to look half decent when it's curly. i have toyed with the idea of having it straightened permanently, but i really like my hair when the curls are nice, and i think i would miss them too much! but if im working or have a job interview or a posh party or something, i like having straight hair because it looks a bit more grown up and elegant, i suppose. i look really young with curly hair.

ReputationRep:
    If I'm doing my hair curly, not straight, I use various different mousses etc. Sunsilk serum for curly or wavy hair when it's damp and/or frizz ease mousse. Then you can use an ordinary mousse once it's dry...

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys....im half spanish and hav really tight curls....hair is sooooo dry n horrible n frizzy if i dont treat it well. Ive always had shoulder length curly hair so bout 4 years ago i decided to let it grow. It is now nearly waist length and i tell u what....its actually more manageable!!! Curls look more gorgeous because theyre weighed down and, after trying every hair product on the planet lol i have decided that Trevor Sorbie and Sunsilk for curls are the best. They leave ur hair amazing. I always leave the conditioner in and sumtimes leave almond oil in. Does the trick really well!

ReputationRep:
    Embrace your curls:

http://naturallycurly2.com/home/index.php

ReputationRep:
    The best stuff for curls that I've found is the TIGI Curls Rock range...lots of different products, all obscenely expensive, but if you buy the huuuuuuuuuuuuuge bottles it's not quite so bad. Makes my curls much much more defined and smells good too .

ReputationRep:
    I have naturally straight hair but I have wanted curly hair since I was a little girl. I'm so jealous of people with pretty curls. I can't even curl my hair because theres no point. The curls always fall out really quick and so it just leaves my hair looking straggly and messy

ReputationRep:
    I am curly, but also ginger, so the karmic circle rather completes itself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Curly_topps)
    Which is more attractive curly/straight? :confused:
    Two words: Rachel Weisz.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    Two words: Rachel Weisz.
    who?

anyway i have noticed that if your hair is naturally curly you can put in almost anything to make them appear. mousse, gel, etc. as long as you do it when your hair is wet, or towel dryed. as for the straightener use a ceramic one and buy one of those protection sprays/creams that you put in first so the hair can handle the heat better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    I am curly, but also ginger, so the karmic circle rather completes itself.
    :eek: mick hucknall?! :eek: :p:

ReputationRep:
    I think curly hair is lovely. People always tell me that I should wear my hair down all the time, so now I do!

But its a lot more hassle than straight hair. Magazines always say that curly hair is 'in' and it never is.

ReputationRep:
    Two of my best mates have curly hair and I think it is absolutly gorgeous!, mine will curl but not for very long and drops out no matter how much product I use! Although both of them hate their hair because of the hassel! they say they have trouble at the hairdressers too because no-one can cut it properly! Theres definatly an art to styling curly hair but once the individual has grasped it curly hair is stunning and ultra attractive! (And im a girl and straight down the line so think what the males think!)
    Also I once lost sight of my friend in a busy department store in Liverpool and was looking for her I saw some brown curls pocking out from behind a clothes rack and knew it was her! She found that a tiny bit offensive but I was getting at the fact that she stood out from the crowd literally! I am very much pro curly cuts despite being straight locked myself lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glitterdreams)
    Although both of them hate their hair because of the hassel! they say they have trouble at the hairdressers too because no-one can cut it properly! lol
    Totally! Hairdressers tend to wash it, then pull it straight. Both big mistakes, because curly hair gets longer when washed, and then even longer when pulled straight. So, they're only cutting an inch off the 'lengthened' length but once back in curls and dried, it looks ridiculously short.

ReputationRep:
    I love cury hair, i think it looks gorgeous! I have a natural kink in my hair, so if i let it dry naturally n scrunch it, it goes kinda curlyish. but not proper curls! i wish i had them!!!

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.