The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
moregano
Poll on the way.

Could you live without the internet? And more specifically, do you find TSR to be more addictive than other online activities? :ninja:

Does anyone (psychologists?) know why the internet is so addictive? It's obviously more complex than a chemical addiction.

I couldn't live without it. xD

The reason why I like TSR, or Facebook, or MSN, is because it's communicating with other people. Sure, I could get off here and actually go see people.... xD But still.

As soon as I get up at the weekends, I wanna put my laptop on - I don't on school mornings, because there's never anyone on, and I don't have the time.
Reply 21
i can stop any minute, honestly :ninja:
Reply 22
It's more a case of 'When I'm on the computer I'm on the internet'

not 'I go on the computer to go on the internet'. It's just an easy distraction which I'm abusing right now. Used to be though, not pleasant. And I mean truly addicted. I could spend 12 hours a day on the internet easily.
Reply 23
Definitely addicticted.

Still, my lifes going pretty well so its not harming me.
TheLouisVuittonDon
I'd say slightly, I consider an addiction to be something that stops you from getting on with your daily life.. and it doesn't really do that to me.

Because you adapt your daily life around the Internet. :biggrin:
Reply 25
Probably :sigh:. I've been on the computer for 3 hours and haven't written a word of my project yet :s-smilie: Shame it's not something that can be handwritten.
Reply 26
Everyone on TSR is addicted to the internet, or any forum for that matter.. :biggrin:
I'd be more inclined to say I'm addicted to computers in general, although the internet is where most of my time on computers is spent. When I lived at home my parents were consistently going on at me about the amount of time I spend on the computer, I think what they didn't understand was that I can do literally everything on them, for example, I can watch movies, I can watch TV, I can read about things I'm interested in, I can listen to music, I can play video games, I can talk to people that I know etc

The point is now instead of splitting my time between these activities seperately by say spending x amount of time actually in front of a TV and then going and spending x amount of time physically reading a book and then going and listening to music, I just do all them from the same place. Since I'm not a sporty person, I can do pretty much everything I'm interested in just on the computer and this then leads to me spending large amounts of hours on it. What I couldn't understand was why my parents thought that doing these activites individually, instead of from a central source, made such a difference.

YdLeet
Everyone on TSR is addicted to the internet, or any forum for that matter.. :biggrin:

Well that's just blatantly untrue...
Reply 28
I'm addicted to the thrill, it's a dangerous love affair!
Yep. I always have been since I was about 14, lol, but it's always been different sites over time. In the past, I was really into Bebo, Piczo, SwapitShop, and Freewebs. Right now, I'm addicted to TSR, Youtube and Deviantart.
Reply 30
You Failed
I'd be more inclined to say I'm addicted to computers in general, although the internet is where most of my time on computers is spent. When I lived at home my parents were consistently going on at me about the amount of time I spend on the computer, I think what they didn't understand was that I can do literally everything on them, for example, I can watch movies, I can watch TV, I can read about things I'm interested in, I can listen to music, I can play video games, I can talk to people that I know etc

The point is now instead of splitting my time between these activities seperately by say spending x amount of time actually in front of a TV and then going and spending x amount of time physically reading a book and then going and listening to music, I just do all them from the same place. Since I'm not a sporty person, I can do pretty much everything I'm interested in just on the computer and this then leads to me spending large amounts of hours on it. What I couldn't understand was why my parents thought that doing these activites individually, instead of from a central source, made such a difference.

That's a good point actually. I don't currently have a TV so I watch a lot of BBC iPlayer and 4OD. At home I would have read my parents newspapers, but I get all my news on the internet now. In our flat we watch films on one of our laptops rather than with a DVD player.

Still, reading stuff online just isn't the same as reading a book, and could never replace it IMO.
Reply 31
Probably. When I moved into my student house last year (before everyone else, I might add - I had to work) I was without the internet for 3 weeks. It killed me, and I ended up buying an Internet bolt on for my phone :X
Hmmm. Even though it happens rarely,( probably twice from what I remember in the summer) but when the electricity goes off, I am so bored. Almost everything is done online nowadays. I mean I might even give myself the excuse, oh I need to do research so I have to use the internet. It just kills time. :smile:
moregano

Still, reading stuff online just isn't the same as reading a book, and could never replace it IMO.

Oh no, I definitely agree. I could never read an entire book just on the computer, it wouldn't be fun at all. I was more referring to articles, journals etc things like that.
Yeah I am, and no I couldn't survive if the internet disappeared. To be honest, I think the thing is, there's always something to do, it fills time, and it takes less effort than moving. It's simple.
I always wait for my next shot...

(Tbh: I could survive without the internet. Always survive 3 months a year without missing it. But at home...)
No but I am addicted to sitting naked in front of my computer. :cyber:
I'd say that I enjoy the internet, but when our internet server goes down, I don't start shaking, sweating, feeling ill and vomiting, want to pain to be over...

In other words, I don't start withdrawing from the internet, therefore am not addicted to it. :yep:
I've survived without internet involuntarily for 11 days a few months ago, and therefore am not addicted to it :proud:

I do spend a crazy amount of time on it though. TSR used to be the most distracting site on the internet, it was then replaced by facebook and now blogspot :moon:
moregano
Poll on the way.

Could you live without the internet? And more specifically, do you find TSR to be more addictive than other online activities? :ninja:

Does anyone (psychologists?) know why the internet is so addictive? It's obviously more complex than a chemical addiction.

Its addictive because it is so open ended! Every single thought that appears in your brain at any time, can be searched and read about for as long as you wish, until another thought appears in your mind, with instant satisfaction every time!

Latest

Trending

Trending