Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just a kinda random question, what made people want to join the RAF in the first place? And what kind of backgrounds have people come from work/uni???
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    Hmmm may sound a bit soppy/sad/cliched but I saw a Red Arrows display when I was about 6 and told my parents from then on that I wanted to be a pilot in the RAF. Most of my family have been Officers in the Army, so I'm the first to try for the RAF. The lifestyle that encompasses the whole of the forces just massivly apeals to me. I can't imagine wanting anything else. Currently I work full time but I was at uni on a UAS and very much enjoyed it.

ReputationRep:
    no i can totally understand that, even though i am not wanting to be a pilot, aircraft especially RAF, is just fantastic!!

ReputationRep:
    I want to fly. I want to go into the RAF for (1) better chance of FJ's and (2) something inside me, I have loved the RAF since I was young, the ATC gave a little feel for it, and my step-brother has been in for a load of years now, serving at Leuchars. I wanted to work in Aviation, however I thought I wanted to be an engineer - but didnt want to go to uni and wanted to be as hands on as possible, so I opted to leave school whilst sitting my highers and just go for it with what I had in the non-commissioned side of things. I passed the aptitude tests at the AFCO, but never got an interview because the RAF was not recruiting in this branch or a whole load others that interested me, so I waited for almost a year on an interview but never got it. Whlst up at the AFCO asking for any information, the corporal advised me there was still no information and jokingly said to me to try the RN, so I did, and applied a week later for AEA. Past the tests, but found out at the interview it had changed to AET, with those possessing the skill and ability to go on and do the AEA course. I went to Raleigh and was I/C of my class for 7 weeks, and again for 11 weeks at Sultan, and was one of three selected for the fast-track scheme. Whilst there I got a real insight into the AET branch, and what my future held. I was thoroughly sickened by the lack of training I would recieve, and my future looked grim compared to what I had been told it would be like. Whilst there I spoke to my DO and mentioned how I felt let down and that I wanted to leave to go to college, pick up the minimum three required highers and try applying for Pilot. I got a lot support from him and my instructer POAEM(M) Sherlock (for whom I have a massive amount of respect, and gratitude), and my mates. I left just before not long before my PVR option ran out and started applying for college asap. I got accepted and start on Wed . As for my background, its nothing special, just normal; live with my dad and his partner, moved house about 2 months ago, and am due to move again soon. Work wise, I have done a lot on the trance music scene, I have been DJ'ing since I 12, and turned professional on the hardcore scene at a young age. I havent seen my turntables since I about february, and dearly miss them and my record collection.

My life history, lol

ReputationRep:
    Always wanted to be a pilot in the RAF, was never going to go to uni - ended up at uni on a UAS and loving it. And thats about it really. No one in my family flies and no one who has been an influence to me has been in the armed forces. I used to work full time before uni.

ReputationRep:
    Chicks dig it, guys think it's cool. And it pays well, you don't actually have to grow up, and it's generally fun and easy.

ReputationRep:
    Graet Grandad was in the RFC (forerunner to the RAF) during WW1, Grandad was a pilot in WW2, Dad was an EngO and Int during the Cold War. I guess I just naturally fall into the next slot, always been around it and always loved it. + my family's always gone up the ranks, GGD was a Private, GD was a Flt Sgt, dad was a Sqn Ldr so I guess that makes me a future Air Com and my son the future CAS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elmlea)
    Chicks dig it, guys think it's cool. And it pays well, you don't actually have to grow up, and it's generally fun and easy.
    Chicks don't just dig it, they do it too :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InaSpin)
    Chicks don't just dig it, they do it too :cool:
    They do, albeit fairly badly.... :p:

ReputationRep:
    mrmm re-heally...
    do you know NL?

What do guys think of girls who fly? - do they dig it?!

ReputationRep:
    I know all the girlies currently in the FJ training system, at least fairly colloquially. The girlie chop rate's about 50%; as I said, only 2 abbos to STC in the last year or so and a couple of creamies. Truth's in the numbers!

There are a lot of girls seem to get taken under peoples' wings through BFJT and the like, then struggle markedly in the eat-babies-chew-glass world of tac weapons etc. There're a few names on the prizewinners' boards at Linton who are now at Brize Norton.

ReputationRep:
    Fantastic answer, guys this is what you should aim to come up with in interviews. Just tell the truth and be yourself, the officer will respect you for it and you may even get a laugh out of them.

But is being a pilot generally easy? I would imagine that if you are born with a pilots' brain then you may find it easy, but I don't know.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    I know all the girlies currently in the FJ training system, at least fairly colloquially. The girlie chop rate's about 50%; as I said, only 2 abbos to STC in the last year or so and a couple of creamies. Truth's in the numbers!

There are a lot of girls seem to get taken under peoples' wings through BFJT and the like, then struggle markedly in the eat-babies-chew-glass world of tac weapons etc. There're a few names on the prizewinners' boards at Linton who are now at Brize Norton.
    Sounds like the selection process needs reveiwing then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    Sounds like the selection process needs reveiwing then.
    Good point. Now let the battle commence.

ReputationRep:
    I wonder what the most crazy reason that someone has given for joining the RAF?? They must get some funny ones from time to time, enough to amuse them!!

ReputationRep:
    for me, ive from from a college, IT work sector, then Uni background, Father was ex catering core for the army, my granddad ex Driver for the RAF. I'll be the first to try for officer.
    For me I just became sick at the idea of working in the IT sector and would rather go a different route and since I like aviation then the RAF definetly appeals to me in that regard

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ruhr_Phantom)
    I wonder what the most crazy reason that someone has given for joining the RAF?? They must get some funny ones from time to time, enough to amuse them!!

I haven't been in the postion to give this answer yet, but if people ask me why I am considering the RAF I say something like this: the navy uniform is renowned for being unflattering to female behinds and I'm not sure that green is my colour and so that leaves the RAF. Of course, I have a serious answer...
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    There was one guy who went through my AFCO whos reason was this: 'I want to join the RAF because I can shoot a hole in a pack of cigs from 20 metres.'

No joke.

ReputationRep:
    That is such a great reason
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    He also turned up in a purple velvet suit and frilly shirt a la 70's stylee.

He didn't pass :p:

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.