Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Do you have faith in the exam system? Is it an accurate representation of your acedemic ability?

ReputationRep:
    I'll let you know when they give me my results...

ReputationRep:
    I don't have faith in it, no. I posted the following on the BBC website:

It's very important that when we look at these results we bear in mind the pressure exerted on students. Students today are tested and examined at 16, 17 and 18 and then, if they go to university, for up to 6 more years. The pressure to achieve top grades when everybody says these exams are easy is immense.

I think my exams went well and I expect to gain the 3 As I need for my university place. As a student, in a large sixth-form college, it is clear that there is a re-sit culture, which makes me uneasy. Many people have the opportunity to re-sit a module up to 4 times; I find this frustrating and think a system where students can only re-sit with mitigating circumstances would be better. If this is not possible then a limit should be placed on the number of re-sits a student can take.

I am always frustrated at the British people for being so negative and criticising. It is, of course, healthy to have a debate on issues concerning education, but I have noticed that students are given no reassurance that their qualifications are sound and that they have not worked hard for no reason. It’s a real shame that, in an increasingly secular society, the only British trait to survive is one of condemnation and disapproval.

So, are the exams getting easier? Well, perhaps. I have looked at past syllabi and past papers and there does seem to be a greater depth of knowledge required: they are not as structured as current exams and 13 mark questions are not a rarity in something like physics. I couldn’t do a past paper like that as I haven’t learned the material and am not used to the structure of the questions. Current exams, I believe, are more predictable and students unfortunately are able to master exam technique. It’s a shame that months are spent on learning this when students could be getting to grips with the course material in more depth. There is a real sense of restriction inherent in the syllabi.

I will be studying law at university and last year I did the new LNAT test, which, I must say, was very poorly organised. This was yet another test I had to do. University admissions tests such as the LNAT, BMAT and HAT should not be necessary. A-Levels are failing to distinguish very good candidates from the excellent candidates. Simply publishing the mark (out of 600) could solve this. Currently, universities see only the grade and any subject with score 480-600 is classified as an A grade.

The system does need attention but introducing a new diploma is, in my opinion, not necessary. A-Levels need to be returned to their ‘gold standard’ status and this unfortunately means harder, more creative and insightful exams and fewer students achieving A grades.

Rant over!

The education system contains many flaws, so I went with the fourth option, but to make up for sounding too critical it could be a lot worse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Bethany*)
    I'll let you know when they give me my results...
    I concur.

ReputationRep:
    I have no faith in the exam system. I do AVCE Business Finance, and on our first lesson, our teacher told us we all going to have resit this exam because everyone fails this exam first time round!! So I have no faith in the exam board, inless I pass this exam!!(Which I wont!!)

ReputationRep:
    Keep voting guys, this is intresting!

ReputationRep:
    i hate people that keep degrading my hard work. I have worked harder than i ever thought i could to get into med school, the pressure and stress is immense and when i dont get in there really isnt another optoin. Im fed up of this easy rubbish, just please be happy that were working harder!

ReputationRep:
    I have little to no faith in the British exam system.

Just done AS levels and was telling my mum that I'm worried because I don't feel that I've actually gained anything, or been stretched. Without trying to sound arrogant, I came into my english language course 2 weeks late and got an A on the first practice paper. I don't think that this should have been allowed to happen (!), students can coast along without doing much work, and still get an A.

But while the exams weren't very inspirational, I think that a lot of the course material was very good. I had some great discussions in english lit and philosophy and learned a lot of useful linguistic stuff in eng lang (which I didn't get to put to use in the exam).

ReputationRep:
    I think that it varies a lot between different subjects. I take maths, history latin and art (and general studies which doesnt really count) and personally I think that the maths exam system is pretty good. There isnt really an "exam style" (how could there be?) and it is the sort of course where each module relies upon previous ones (i.e. you need C1 to do C2). On the other hand, I really have a problem with the history exam system. We have spent so many lessons having the exam style drilled into us, and it is impossible to get higher than a C if you don't do it how the examiners want you to. there is also an attitude that once each module has been examined then you can forget that area of history forever because it isnt important any more. This rather begs the question of why we are actually studying the subject-is it to gain a greater understanding of our world and society and to learn from the mistakes of the past, or is it to learn a 3:1 ratio of history to exam technique and forget it immediately (unless of course we want to resit to scrape a few more marks). Sorry this is turning into a bit of a rant, but it does annoy me a bit.
    I think that we do need to change something in our exam system, I don't think that a new diploma would help, but there is an underlying attitude that needs addressing. Education, especially at 6th form level should not be just about passing exams, if only because it gets a bit boring!!!

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.