The Student Room Group

Economics: Nottingham Trent or Manchester Met

riteee... there both asking for the same ... but i dont know which one to go for?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Ice_Man_876
riteee... there both asking for the same ... but i dont know which one to go for?

I'd say Notts 100%
Reply 2
I'm in the same situation, would like some Man Met and Notts students to shed some light!
Reply 3
Trent IS higher on the " league tables" EVEN HIGHER THAN THE MANCHESTER :s-smilie:
kinda thrown a spanner in the works...

ive been to Manchester Met and seen the Uni and the Course.. really liked it... city is also amazing
But with Trent being higher... does that mean its better?
I would go to which you you preferred more, the difference between both unis is negligible however Nottingham's course is a Ba whilst Manchester Met offers Ba/Bsc, if its there Ba then its a really toss up between them however if its the Bsc, MM may be the better option, as its likely to be slightly more mathematical (if you don't mind)
Reply 5
Visit them both and decide on that. There is no difference between the two.
yoyo462001
I would go to which you you preferred more, the difference between both unis is negligible however Nottingham's course is a Ba whilst Manchester Met offers Ba/Bsc, if its there Ba then its a really toss up between them however if its the Bsc, MM may be the better option, as its likely to be slightly more mathematical (if you don't mind)

i'd agree with you up to the point about BA Bsc. At the top levels, BA Bsc makes no difference, in the mid levels Ba Bsc makes no difference as you yourself say you can make the course as mathematical as possible and at the bottom of the scale, the difference between unis are negligible and employers really won't care about whether or not it's Ba or Bsc - the course isn't going to be amazingly mathematical either way
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
i'd agree with you up to the point about BA Bsc. At the top levels, BA Bsc makes no difference, in the mid levels Ba Bsc makes no difference as you yourself say you can make the course as mathematical as possible and at the bottom of the scale, the difference between unis are negligible and employers really won't care about whether or not it's Ba or Bsc - the course isn't going to be amazingly mathematical either way

In terms of just the course alone, just doing the few extra maths and stats modules may become helpful later on. I wouldn't say it's the deciding factor, also didn't seem like there was much scope of options for statistical modules, but the trent website i guess may not show entire module options. This is just from comparing course not degree title though.. I think the TC should just take this into account.
Reply 8
I dont know much about either but ive had to do a similar thing for my courses and the only way really is just go visit and see which one you prefer. But not just the uni, the city is just as important in my opinion; you dont wanna spend the next 3 years in a city you really dont like.
Reply 9
Cheers for that people... Ive been to both ... Prefer Manchester city wise any day.. and the people are gr8 there too....
its jus the league tables that have really messed with my head lol
Reply 10
Ice_Man_876
Cheers for that people... Ive been to both ... Prefer Manchester city wise any day.. and the people are gr8 there too....
its jus the league tables that have really messed with my head lol

I wouldnt worry about it too much, theyre likely to have changed in 3 years time anyway (for better or worse :p:)
But nah, the league tables dont mean much to be honest.
I wouldn't go to university if I were you.
accountingmaniac2010

Why is that? :facepalm:
Reply 13
accountingmaniac2010

:laugh:
yoyo462001
Why is that? :facepalm:

Studying an academic subject which will be extremely diluted is useless. He is better off studying accounting or something which will actually give him some skills. Analysing graphs from beggs economics book and solving a level maths won't give him many tools for the future.
accountingmaniac2010
Studying an academic subject which will be extremely diluted is useless. He is better off studying accounting or something which will actually give him some skills. Analysing graphs from beggs economics book and solving a level maths won't give him many tools for the future.

Well if that was so we'd expect both unis to have 0% graduation prospects, which incidentally they don't. Explain this phenomenon to me please.
yoyo462001
Well if that was so we'd expect both unis to have 0% graduation prospects, which incidentally they don't. Explain this phenomenon to me please.

They claim that 100% of their graduates get jobs - not graduate jobs. Since pretty much every graduate scheme requires BBC-BBB nearly everyone at those two unis would be barred from applying for grad jobs.
accountingmaniac2010
They claim that 100% of their graduates get jobs - not graduate jobs. Since pretty much every graduate scheme requires BBC-BBB nearly everyone at those two unis would be barred from applying for grad jobs.

So what your saying is that all those at the two unis in question cannot and will not get graduate jobs despite attaining a degree at the end of their course. unfortunately i feel your explanation is extremely weak, stupid and riddled with condescending value judgments. i.e keep your unhelpful posts to yourself :smile:
Reply 18
accountingmaniac2010

Firstly, according to Unistats, 65% of those from Nottingham Trent with economics degrees have graduate jobs, and 40% of those at Manchester Met.

Secondly, while graduate schemes with the Big 4 and other major recruiters have filters for A-Level results and so on, most of those from 'lesser' universities tend to go to SMEs where no requirement is put on A-Levels or GCSEs, but the focus is on the degree and also what you can bring to the role. Just because it's an SME and not some international recruiter doesn't mean it isn't a graduate job.
.ACS.
Firstly, according to Unistats, 65% of those from Nottingham Trent with economics degrees have graduate jobs, and 40% of those at Manchester Met.

Secondly, while graduate schemes with the Big 4 and other major recruiters have filters for A-Level results and so on, most of those from 'lesser' universities tend to go to SMEs where no requirement is put on A-Levels or GCSEs, but the focus is on the degree and also what you can bring to the role. Just because it's an SME and not some international recruiter doesn't mean it isn't a graduate job.

Don't believe the statistics one bit. 80% of Nottingham (the proper uni) economics graduates get a graduate job, but the twist is that ONLY 47% of notts econ graduates go on to full time employment. So either 65% of 10% trent econ grads get a grad job, or there is something wrong with that figure.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending