Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Where is the best place to study philosophy? Cambridge is certainly good for analytic phil but ignores so many other disciplines. Where has everyone else applied and what are your fave's?

One more thing. Where would you prefer to go out of Bristol, Durham and Warwick to study philosophy?

Cheers and good luck to everyone especially the Cambridge applicants - not long now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Perdurabo)
    Where is the best place to study philosophy? Cambridge is certainly good for analytic phil but ignores so many other disciplines. Where has everyone else applied and what are your fave's?

One more thing. Where would you prefer to go out of Bristol, Durham and Warwick to study philosophy?

Cheers and good luck to everyone especially the Cambridge applicants - not long now!

I use to want to read Philosophy at uni...in my opinion Heythrop College is the PLACE to go

ReputationRep:
    I would recommend choosing any top twenty university. Philosophers are generally good teachers. Their research will seem like another universe to you as a first year, so take it easy. Study hard, get a good degree; you will learn all you need to, and the doors will be open to post grad anywhere.

ReputationRep:
    I'd agree that a lot of places will be fine to read Philosophy.

However, the best are considered to be Oxford, Cambridge, King's, Warwick and LSE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ReturnofGnostic)
    And Warwick is overrated.
    How so?

ReputationRep:
    It's a 1960s poly that has produced not one single person of note, and has contributed absolutely nothing towards civilisation. Warwick is only popular amongst a-level students.
    lol, so it is purely history that it is lacking?

heh, perhaps it should merge with King's, given history seems to be the only thing it has!

ReputationRep:
    KCL philosophy is great for ancient philosophy, but it's not considered a pillar of analytical philosophy that dominates the Anglo-Saxon academic world. And Warwick is overrated. Out of Bristol, Warwick, and Durham pick Durham.
    Lol there's more to philosophy than the purely analytical side of things. I wish yourself and Gnostic would actually come to realise this.

ReputationRep:
    I'd suggest looking really really carefully at the modules that the unis offer. Any uni in the top twenty will give you a good grounding in the subject, good enough to go on to postgrad. They offer very different courses, with different modules available, though. Read around the various modules, perhaps have a glance at some of their recommended reading list, to get an idea of the sort of philosophy they do. It sounds a little stupid, but perhaps you could have a look at the professors' research interests? When you come to third year and want to do a dissertation then it would be useful to have someone who knows about the area you're interested in.

Of course, I haven't studied Phil. at uni yet, so I can't really give all that much information. This is just what I looked at a lot when making my choices. I'm probably going to Durham so, uh, *waves flag*.

ReputationRep:
    OK, but your post implies that just because KCL may not have a particularly strong analytical tradition it isn't 'world class', which is just plain wrong.

ReputationRep:
    I picked Warwick. The department has the best reputation out of those three, and it has a broader syllabus than most. Plus, being a campus uni, your department will almost certainly be closer to your accomodation (trust me, I live in Bristol and some of the housing is on the other side of the city).

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone, although i did start this thread 3 months ago!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone, although i did start this thread 3 months ago!
    What did you decide in the end???

ReputationRep:
    Well,
    I completely blew my cambridge interview as mentioned on a previous thread so i was left stick between Bristol, Durham and Warwick.

Bristol made a great offer of ABC and really seemed to want me.
    Durham - ABB from Grey college.
    Warwick - AABb. A lot of pressure for a laid back sort of chap like me.

Tied between Durham and Bristol. Bristol have loads of applicants and in the end only 20 places for philosophy so id feel really wanted there. Plus its a nice place. But then so is Durham. I dunno, still got a month left!

Any opinions would be great (but no durham/bristol bashers!).

ReputationRep:
    Hmmmmm......well I personally would go for Bristol, but it depends on what you want to do in the future. If you want to go into academia then I would definitely go for Bristol, but Durham is also excellent. It's a tough one....good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hildabeast)
    If you want to go into academia then I would definitely go for Bristol, but Durham is also excellent.
    Why is that?

ReputationRep:
    Why is that?
    It has just developed a more solid reputation in recent years in graduate as well as undergraduate courses, but that's still a completely subjective observation.

ReputationRep:
    Well it's a helpful observation all the same, so here... have some rep!

ReputationRep:
    Well it's a helpful observation all the same, so here... have some rep!
    Awwww, that's really sweet
    In case you were wondering, in the RAE Durham got 5, Bristol got 5a, but I wouldn't pay too much attention to that if I were you.

ReputationRep:
    Well,
    I completely blew my cambridge interview as mentioned on a previous thread so i was left stick between Bristol, Durham and Warwick.

Bristol made a great offer of ABC and really seemed to want me.
    Durham - ABB from Grey college.
    Warwick - AABb. A lot of pressure for a laid back sort of chap like me.

Tied between Durham and Bristol. Bristol have loads of applicants and in the end only 20 places for philosophy so id feel really wanted there. Plus its a nice place. But then so is Durham. I dunno, still got a month left!

Any opinions would be great (but no durham/bristol bashers!).
    Are you really only rejecting Warwick because the offer is too hard, or are there other reasons?

Because, its philosophy department is better than the other two by a definite margin, IMO.

Not sure about your apps/places logic with Bristol. The figure you want to look at is the apps/offers ratio - unusually the prospectus has these too. IIRC, straight philosophy ain't terribly competitive.

Durham's philosophy department is alright, though, generally the uni is considered a step down from the other two.

So, er, yeah, go to Warwick.

Oops, that isn't actually what you asked, is it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llama boy)
    Are you really only rejecting Warwick because the offer is too hard, or are there other reasons?

Because, its philosophy department is better than the other two by a definite margin, IMO.

Not sure about your apps/places logic with Bristol. The figure you want to look at is the apps/offers ratio - unusually the prospectus has these too. IIRC, straight philosophy ain't terribly competitive.

Durham's philosophy department is alright, though, generally the uni is considered a step down from the other two.

So, er, yeah, go to Warwick.

Oops, that isn't actually what you asked, is it?
    I was pretty sure it was 20 places in total last year from 400 applicants, offers 144. Either way, what i meant was, its a small cosy department, and i think i would like that.
    Warwick just doesn't float my boat. One reason grade-wise, is that they wanted a b at AS. I dont have a b at AS! Im doing 4 A2's and biology will get me a C it looks like. The AAb though should be fine.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.