linkdapink
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Hey Guys!

I've had a look on the interview tips thread, and there really is a lack of Maths people on it! Can anyone help me out at all? How hard is the Maths test? I've been told I'll need to explain some basic Maths skills in my interview... but does anyone know how hard they will be?

I've applied with the intention of doing an extension course (written in my personal statement and everything) so hopefully they're not expecting TOO much from me. But does anyone have any help with this? GCSE? or A-Level work?

And, side question, I'm wearing a high waisted skirt with a purple/pink top, my hair up in a bun, high heels (or flats, if they don't get fixed).... what kind of tights? Are the lace effect ones too much?

Cheers,

xxx
Mr M
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
No-one will care what you wear so long as it isn't outrageous.

Is this a secondary mathematics interview? You haven't been particularly clear.

Most institutions do not test you (but if they have said they are going to it will be KS3 and KS4 knowledge).

It is common to ask you to explain a couple of things that cause children great confusion.

How would you convince a child that one quarter plus one half does not equal two sixths?

How would you explain that 3 - -2 = 5 ?

I can't cover all the possible questions as there are too many! Give yourself a few seconds thinking time before you speak.
linkdapink
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mr M)
No-one will care what you wear so long as it isn't outrageous.

Is this a secondary mathematics interview? You haven't been particularly clear.

Most institutions do not test you (but if they have said they are going to it will be KS3 and KS4 knowledge).

It is common to ask you to explain a couple of things that cause children great confusion.

How would you convince a child that one quarter plus one half does not equal two sixths?

How would you explain that 3 - -2 = 5 ?

I can't cover all the possible questions as there are too many! Give yourself a few seconds thinking time before you speak.
Yeah it's secondary. I was just worried incase it was stuff like "explain a sine curve" and honestly... I'd be buggered. I'm quite a visual learner myself so would only really be able to explain those things with a board and a pen, which hopefully, i'll be given.

Thanks for the help
zxczxc
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
The questions we were told to prepare for the IoE interview were:

1) Explain why "turn the second fraction upside down then multiply" works for dividing by fractions
2) How do you know whether a quadratic equation is solvable? How do you go about solving it?
3) Compass and straight edge constructions, both showing how to do them and explaining why they work
4) A question about the validity of statistical inferences (so, at a basic level, explaining how outliers may skew your results)

It's good that you're thinking about the different learning styles... I was only asked about dividing by fractions, but I was able to suggest ways of appealing to visual and kinesthetic learners, which they really liked!

We also had to work through a massive pack of questions, which no one really got far into. It had things like explaining what pupils have done wrong, spotting their mistakes, as well as explaining things yourself. The topics covered all of KS3, KS4, and a little bit of A-Level.
linkdapink
Rep:
?
(Original post by zxczxc)
The questions we were told to prepare for the IoE interview were:

1) Explain why "turn the second fraction upside down then multiply" works for dividing by fractions
2) How do you know whether a quadratic equation is solvable? How do you go about solving it?
3) Compass and straight edge constructions, both showing how to do them and explaining why they work
4) A question about the validity of statistical inferences (so, at a basic level, explaining how outliers may skew your results)

It's good that you're thinking about the different learning styles... I was only asked about dividing by fractions, but I was able to suggest ways of appealing to visual and kinesthetic learners, which they really liked!

We also had to work through a massive pack of questions, which no one really got far into. It had things like explaining what pupils have done wrong, spotting their mistakes, as well as explaining things yourself. The topics covered all of KS3, KS4, and a little bit of A-Level.
Just a quick question about the constructions, were these simple ones? All I can remember to do is a hexagon and a triangle
zxczxc
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by linkdapink)
Just a quick question about the constructions, were these simple ones? All I can remember to do is a hexagon and a triangle
Bisecting an angle and bisecting a line segment, I think.
linkdapink
Rep:
?
Bisecting an angle and bisecting a line segment, I think.
Cool lol. For some reason all I could think about was making a triangle. But now I get what you mean lol
zxczxc
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Remember it's not a triangle, it's an equilateral triangle!
linkdapink
Rep:
?
Remember it's not a triangle, it's an equilateral triangle!
Of course. And its a regular hexagon

Thanks so much by the way!
Small123
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Hey Guys!

I've had a look on the interview tips thread, and there really is a lack of Maths people on it! Can anyone help me out at all? How hard is the Maths test? I've been told I'll need to explain some basic Maths skills in my interview... but does anyone know how hard they will be?

I've applied with the intention of doing an extension course (written in my personal statement and everything) so hopefully they're not expecting TOO much from me. But does anyone have any help with this? GCSE? or A-Level work?

And, side question, I'm wearing a high waisted skirt with a purple/pink top, my hair up in a bun, high heels (or flats, if they don't get fixed).... what kind of tights? Are the lace effect ones too much?

Cheers,

xxx
I would say relax, think before you answer and make sure you don't say anything like 1+1=3 accidentally under pressure . Apart from that I can't see what else you could do!
zxczxc
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Of course. And its a regular hexagon

Thanks so much by the way!
Just remember to use technical language and to use it properly. In the booklet of questions we had to work through, there was a section where we had to say what the difference was between equations and expressions, sequences and series, etc. And also how to properly pluralise mathematical words! Just do your best to think logically and make sure you don't rush yourself.
linkdapink
Rep:
?
Hi Guys!

I didn't get a place after the interview I thought it went well, but I must have messed up pythagorus more than I thought! Does anyone know how to get feedback on an interview afterwards? Email? Phone?

Thanks
blairwitchgirluk
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Hi Guys!

I didn't get a place after the interview I thought it went well, but I must have messed up pythagorus more than I thought! Does anyone know how to get feedback on an interview afterwards? Email? Phone?

Thanks
Sorry to hear that....... I emailed for feedback at birmingham when i didn't get in after interview.. they sent me quite a detailed report regarding where I had gone wrong and what I had done right, and I used it to improve and get my self a place at Sheffield! Tbh though, I didn't agree with all aspects of the negative feedback lol, as I thought it had gone ok, but just worked on what they said. So chin up, and fingers crossed that you get into your next place
linkdapink
Rep:
?
(Original post by blairwitchgirluk)
Sorry to hear that....... I emailed for feedback at birmingham when i didn't get in after interview.. they sent me quite a detailed report regarding where I had gone wrong and what I had done right, and I used it to improve and get my self a place at Sheffield! Tbh though, I didn't agree with all aspects of the negative feedback lol, as I thought it had gone ok, but just worked on what they said. So chin up, and fingers crossed that you get into your next place
Thanks

What email did you use? The email I got sent was from a "do not reply" email address... so was going to use the PGCE head one?
blairwitchgirluk
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Thanks

What email did you use? The email I got sent was from a "do not reply" email address... so was going to use the PGCE head one?

I knew the names of my interviewers, and cos I did my undergrad at bham it was pretty easy to figure out the email address as it's the same format for all lecturers there, and they all have pages on the uni website too, so it can be obtained from there as well. If you look up on the uni's website the people that interviewed you, it might come up with their email? Otherwise maybe contact admissions and ask them, I can't imagine they wouldn't give it to you if you explain it's just to obtain feedback. It is really worth getting it, as I felt it really helped me focus on key things for my next interview. Good luck
nazzu
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi,I have got interview coming up for the IoE and they have given the same above quesitons: what ways you suggest in terms of kinesthetic learners and visual learners.Can you please help me what to include and what type of answers they expect. I would really appreciate.
Mr M
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by nazzu)
Hi,I have got interview coming up for the IoE and they have given the same above quesitons: what ways you suggest in terms of kinesthetic learners and visual learners.Can you please help me what to include and what type of answers they expect. I would really appreciate.
That's astonishing. It has been well established for 15 years that learning styles are complete rubbish. I can't believe that training providers are still promoting this guff!

https://www.tes.com/news/school-news...earning-styles
nazzu
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Thanks for your reply. My thoughts are same as yours. But I am really confused like what to write in explanation of those questions? Do I have to make a lesson plan, which I don't think so. And when I explain these topics do they expect me to use visual methods as well. I mean in a question where I need to explain how to factorise quadratic expression I am giving three examples and explaining the method how to do it in a simple language. Is this ok? or do I need to mention what props can I use while explaining it to class. Also, in question 1) Explain why
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (64)
21.84%
Excited but a bit nervous (132)
45.05%
Not bothered either way (36)
12.29%
I'm really nervous (61)
20.82%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

Oops, nobody has posted
in the last few hours.

Why not re-start the conversation?

Start new discussion

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise