riotgrrrl
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
yes I have read the other threads but they dont quite cover this,

I just bought this product

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...343830-8379859

as well as an exfoliating scrub (which I read in a thread I should use 2 - 3 days after?) and I was wondering what advice people give and who uses one. Tried it on some hairs (although I shaved most this morning grrr) and it didn't seem too painful...

so yeah, here is a discussion thread for epilators
SammyD
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I have one and it's rubbish, about half of the hairs just break so they grow back quite quickly. It's quite good for my underarms though, and I use it on my bikini line sometimes, but it takes too long to do my legs and never ever leaves them smooth.

You should exfoliate every 2 or 3 days, as well as preventing ingrown hairs it makes your skin much nicer.
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I have one and can I just say ouch so painful never again.
mangomaz
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I have one its great I use it all the time. The hair comes out pretty thin, none of that stubbly stuff that you get with razors.
True though about never leaving your skin perfectly smooth.... though it does give the appearance of smoothness which is ok if you know noones going to be touching them i guess :rolleyes:
If I epilate and then have a shower I always exfoliate anyway.. should I not do this and wait a couple of days instead? Its never caused me any problems...
AngelofnoColour
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
see here for more info http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/t94601.html

I bought an epilator and its the best invention ever, yeah it hurts, but once youve done it once, you can go over the same spot and it doesnt hurt no more. But always exfoliate, which I never did at the start.
hazzawazza
Badges: 0
Report 13 years ago
Haha, epilators. Jus reminds me of that knaff advert on the telly!
riotgrrrl
Rep:
?
(Original post by BlueAngel)
see here for more info http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/t94601.html

I bought an epilator and its the best invention ever, yeah it hurts, but once youve done it once, you can go over the same spot and it doesnt hurt no more. But always exfoliate, which I never did at the start.
it was that thread that made me decide which one to get, although I did end up getting a slightly different one becuase it was in the shop, cheep and ready!
Adhsur
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
The idea of epilators really scares me. Just the thought of switching it on, looking at it whizzing about menacingly, and putting it on my skin. :eek:
Juno
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Adhsur)
The idea of epilators really scares me. Just the thought of switching it on, looking at it whizzing about menacingly, and putting it on my skin. :eek:
Don't look at it whizzing about menacingly then!

And it hasn't got any blades and is just loads of mini tweezers, so it's perfectly safe.
Adhsur
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Juno)
Don't look at it whizzing about menacingly then!

And it hasn't got any blades and is just loads of mini tweezers, so it's perfectly safe.
Mini tweezers which will pluck at your leg crazily? :eek:
mangomaz
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
And if you listen carefully enough, you can hear the hairs screaming 'not me not me I promise I'll stop growing!!' but by the time you get them loudspeakers its too late and they decide to get their revenge so theyll keep growing forever just to piss you off.
Thats right - just to spite you.
I hate them they smell.
Cant wait to laser them into oblivion.
Golden_Touch
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
We've got an epilator hanging around in the cupboard, long abandoned by my mother. I have never been able to let the hair on my legs grow long enough to actually use it though. I sometimes think they are long enough and give it a go, but it never actually seems to grip the hair! I fight a losing battle with leg hair; shaving doesn't seem to last long enough and my attempts at home waxing were a disaster. I should get it professionally done really, but never seem to have the time/money to do it.
mangomaz
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Golden_Touch)
We've got an epilator hanging around in the cupboard, long abandoned by my mother. I have never been able to let the hair on my legs grow long enough to actually use it though. I sometimes think they are long enough and give it a go, but it never actually seems to grip the hair! I fight a losing battle with leg hair; shaving doesn't seem to last long enough and my attempts at home waxing were a disaster. I should get it professionally done really, but never seem to have the time/money to do it.
Maybe because its a really old one? The new ones can pick hairs that are even 2/3mm long.
Golden_Touch
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by mangomaz)
Maybe because its a really old one? The new ones can pick hairs that are even 2/3mm long.
That's an excellent point, and something I'd never actually considered. God knows how old it actually is. Things tend to hang around our house for years and years. My parents hung on to the same microwave for 25 years even though it was the size of a small three bedroomed house and the noise level when it was in use was roughly comparable to living under the flight path to Heathrow airport.
mangomaz
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
That's an excellent point, and something I'd never actually considered. God knows how old it actually is. Things tend to hang around our house for years and years. My parents hung on to the same microwave for 25 years even though it was the size of a small three bedroomed house and the noise level when it was in use was roughly comparable to living under the flight path to Heathrow airport.
:eek: they had microwaves 25 years ago?
Golden_Touch
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
:eek: they had microwaves 25 years ago?
Well I overdid that slightly, apparently my mum says they got it in about 1984/85, so about 20 years ago. We gave it to my grandma a few years back though, and as far as I know it still works perfectly.

God only knows how they acquired it or how much it cost them. Although, thinking on, it might have been a wedding present.
mangomaz
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Well I overdid that slightly, apparently my mum says they got it in about 1984/85, so about 20 years ago. We gave it to my grandma a few years back though, and as far as I know it still works perfectly.

God only knows how they acquired it or how much it cost them. Although, thinking on, it might have been a wedding present.
But still, even 20 years I didnt know they made them back then!
I'm at my grandparents house and theyr so behind with the times they dont even have a kettle... let alone a microwave! But they have broadband.... how odd.
Golden_Touch
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
But still, even 20 years I didnt know they made them back then!
I'm at my grandparents house and theyr so behind with the times they dont even have a kettle... let alone a microwave! But they have broadband.... how odd.
That definitely says something about the sheer weirdness of the modern world when you can choose broadband over a kettle!

My grandparents are a bit like that though, for years and years they didn't have a toaster. My nana always made her toast on a weird little gas grill that sort of hung above the main hob. And it always tasted absolutely fantastic, even though she usually burnt it a bit.
riotgrrrl
Rep:
?
And if you listen carefully enough, you can hear the hairs screaming 'not me not me I promise I'll stop growing!!' but by the time you get them loudspeakers its too late and they decide to get their revenge so theyll keep growing forever just to piss you off.
Thats right - just to spite you.
I hate them they smell.
Cant wait to laser them into oblivion.

its funy you should say that... I got mine what two three days ago now and I shaved my legs normally the day before, normally I have stubble the next day (sometimes that evening, stupid genes) so I am quite suprised how my legs are still smooth, I'm having to wait to use it, maybe they are trying to scream at me? lol
RieLouise
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
When you put it like that it sounds rather like an instrument of torture.
Give me beauty or give me death!
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1621)
79.15%
Leave (427)
20.85%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise