uni - no a levels?? Watch

This discussion is closed.
HOL_ANGEL1
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Is There anyway of getting into uni without A-Levels? i am 18 an have been working for the past two years. now i really want to go to uni but can't face doing a-levels! help?!
LongGone
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
As far as I know, the only way Unis will let you in without A Levels (or equivalents) is if you're a mature student. I think then they prefer you to do something like an Access course, or something that shows you can handle university level work.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
You will either need one of the following:

A levels (including A2)
AVCE (at double award or single award if taken aslong side A2)
GNVQ Advanced
BTEC National Diploma
BTEC HND
Some other qualifcations may be ok for certain subject areas such as accounting.
H.E Access course.

You will either have to take on them above qualifcations or wait until your 21. However only the best mature students will get a place without A levels.
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by HOL_ANGEL1)
Is There anyway of getting into uni without A-Levels? i am 18 an have been working for the past two years. now i really want to go to uni but can't face doing a-levels! help?!
Well, here's my story!

I left school at 16 (way back in 1986 which makes me an old fart!) with 3 cse's at grade c and 2 at grade d. I was what you would call a regular thicky!

I worked as a laborer for a construction firm for a year before going to Luton College (now the University of Luton) to do a two year BTEC (are they still around?) OND in Building Studies.

I passed that and then joined a national construction company as an Assistant Quantity Surveyor while carrying on at Luton College to get a BTEC HNC, also in Building Studies.

So, I finally went to University at age 21 (University of Central Lancashire) with an HNC. I studied Quantity Surveying and got a BSc(Hons) with a 2/1.

I spent the next few years in the workplace rising to Managing Quantity Surveyor and becoming a Chartered Surveyor (MRICS) and a Chartered Builder (MCIOB) as well as sitting the membership exams for the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (MCIArb)

I got heavily involved in contracts and disputes during my work and really enjoyed the legal side of things and so in 2001 I joined the Open University's law program and have just got my LLb(Hons) in law by distance learning (also a 2/1)

In February I am starting an LLM in Commercial Law degree with the University of Northumbria, also by distance learning.

I know live in the US and think I'll probably hang out here for another 6 years at least but if I ever do come back to the UK it'll be to sit the BVC and become a Barrister.

I hope that gives you some encouragement. Sure, I never went to a fancy university (Oxford was never really an option for me!) but I hope my little story proves the point that there is hope for folks who really screw up at school, provided they stay enthusiastic and apply themselves.

So yes, I think you have options.

At 18, you could go to night classes and take your A levels. Or, you could do a BTEC (I think that was replaced by NVQ's) or you could apply directly to somewhere like the OU and do a degree by distance learning.

There are many ways to skin a cat.

Howard
Moog
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Fair play to you Howard! Well done!! Could be hope yet then.
trev
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
There is a way, you can study A-levels or a vocational qualification.
TheWolf
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
do an ib
trev
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by TheWolf)
do an ib
IB is hard. Rather do A-levels.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (232)
27.62%
No (608)
72.38%

Watched Threads