The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Do you mean problem questions? I tend to follow these steps:

1. Identifying the issues
2. Select the relevant law
3. Apply the law
4. Conclude with advice

Whilst using the relevant cases to back up my points. I'd suggest reading some model answers and see how they are structured. Also, doing practice exam questions will definitely help!
Reply 2
remember ILAC
Issue
Law
Application
Conclusion

some general tips
- don't start with a conclusion e.g. he is guilty because.... this will restrict you in the rest of the essay
- work through it logically, read the question carefully, every piece of info is given for a reason!
- try to use case law / statutes wherever possible to back up your answer
- there may not always be an answer to the problem, this is not necessarily the main thing the marker will be looking for, as long as you have a reasoned argument, explore both sides to the argument
- APPLY TO THE FACTS

hope this helps x
Reply 3
I use IDEA. Identify, Define, Explain, Apply. Any of these should do ok though.
Reply 4
would a person be under a duty of care to a stranger, for example, i got a problem question about a defendant who places a bomb in a van and a stranger dies from this. would he owe him a duty of care?
thankyou for your help :smile:
Reply 5
megg10
would a person be under a duty of care to a stranger, for example, i got a problem question about a defendant who places a bomb in a van and a stranger dies from this. would he owe him a duty of care?
thankyou for your help :smile:

I'm pretty sure that would be Miller - creation of a dangerous situation - which creates a duty of care, so yes there would be a duty there.

Latest