But Western women you've got it wrong-
    You're the weak and I'm the strong,
    For I've rejected the trap of man.
    Fancy clothes - low neck, short skirt,
    These are devices for pain and hurt,
    Always jumping to the male agenda,
    Competing on his terms.
    No job share, no baby-sitting facilities,
    No feeding and diaper-changing amenities.
    No equal pay for equal skill-
    Your job they can always fill.

It's a shame that i post it as a male though....

ReputationRep:
    :rolleyes:

Not sterotypical or pathetic in the slightest :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I suppose they have to be free to make a choice, but only in environments where they are allowed to make that choice, not in schools with dress regulations that should be adhered to.

ReputationRep:
    Western women have the choice to wear what we want. That is why religions that force the women to cover up are oppressive. But it's a good poem and I do like it and agree with what it's saying. :yy:

ReputationRep:
    Post your crap somewhere else.

ReputationRep:
    ditto, altho its not her crap, i dont think.

Its annoying though

ReputationRep:
    Cool.

Here's my version.

When you look at me
    all you can see
    Is the big rucksack on my back
    My word you can't hear
    Because its not in a language you understand,
    Mouth gaping, all you do is stare.
    Your worried about getting blown up,
    In our "liberation" we rejoice.
    You're so thankful that you're not me.
    You wont be thankful when I explode,
    Trapped, oppressed and subjugated.
    You're so thankful that you are free.
    But Western women you've got it wrong-
    You're about to go BOOM BOOM, your not free.
    For I've rejected the trap of man.
    Fancy pashmina's - high neck, long skirt,
    These are devices for pain and hurt,
    Always jumping to the male agenda,
    along with being nothing more than an object (which I am, Praise allah, peace be upon him.)
    No job share, no baby-sitting facilities,
    No feeding and diaper-changing amenities.
    No equal pay for equal skill-
    I've exploded them all.

ReputationRep:
    :wtf?: :confused: :wtf?:

ReputationRep:
    I found that poem really insulting.

The 'trap of man'? Is that what Islaamic women think? I wear what I feel comfortable in and what I think looks nice, but not simply to attract men and definitely not always short skirts or low tops. How ridiculous. What makes me weak exactly when I wear what I choose to wear? Western society is gradually getting more and more equal between the genders, which is more than can be said for many Islaamic countries.

And I do not stare at women who choose to cover up, nor do I feel 'fear'. If it is their own choice, then that's great. But surely most women do not have a choice?

By the way, I am not competing on ANY man's terms. Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jelkin)
    I found that poem really insulting.

The 'trap of man'? Is that what Islaamic women think? I wear what I feel comfortable in and what I think looks nice, but not simply to attract men and definitely not always short skirts or low tops. How ridiculous. What makes me weak exactly when I wear what I choose to wear? Western society is gradually getting more and more equal between the genders, which is more than can be said for many Islaamic countries.

And I do not stare at women who choose to cover up, nor do I feel 'fear'. If it is their own choice, then that's great. But surely most women do not have a choice?

By the way, I am not competing on ANY man's terms. Thank you.
    i agree with exactly what you said, and well put aswell

ReputationRep:
    cheers

ReputationRep:
    lol no problem

ReputationRep:
    this should be in the Chat forum...
    it's hardly bringing up a discussion other than offending people...

i'm Asian and i'm sorry,i don't feel the same way.two different cultures,let them each live in peace
    'But Western women you've got it wrong-
    You're the weak and I'm the strong'

do western women really think that?and whats with saying 'i'm the strong'?

ReputationRep:
    That's ridiculous - fair enough, we have a western point of view towards eastern/asian/muslim whatever women, but just because we wear short skirts (well not me personally) or low cut tops doesn't mean we are trying to attract men, we may just like it! It doesn't make us in any way weak, and that poem is basicallly just using the same kind of prejudice people have against asian women, but the flip side.
    I liked the principle, that asian women aren't oppressed and forced to wear certain clothes, but I find it quite insulting.

Also shavenwookie, are you trying to make some kind of terrorist point? Because you'll find that very unwelcome here! i hope i've got it wrong but that's how I perceive your version of the poem!

ReputationRep:
    So arranged marriages and being followed by your husband continuously represent freedom more? Fair enough...

As for the way girls dress here: Of course, if a girl chooses to wear skimpy clothes, it's to attract men or at least attract people's attention but that's her choice just as men are free to show off.

(Original post by ~Raven~)
    That's ridiculous - fair enough, we have a western point of view towards eastern/asian/muslim whatever women, but just because we wear short skirts (well not me personally) or low cut tops doesn't mean we are trying to attract men, we may just like it! It doesn't make us in any way weak, and that poem is basicallly just using the same kind of prejudice people have against asian women, but the flip side.
    I liked the principle, that asian women aren't oppressed and forced to wear certain clothes, but I find it quite insulting.

Also shavenwookie, are you trying to make some kind of terrorist point? Because you'll find that very unwelcome here! i hope i've got it wrong but that's how I perceive your version of the poem!
    i live in sri lankan - i am a sri lankan infact - and all the people here,teens in particular,are hugely influenced by western culture.it's terrible,the poem makes it sound as if we resent westerners or something,ridiculous! :mad:

ReputationRep:
    Poem = rubbish. On both sides of the coin.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yo-less)
    i live in sri lankan - i am a sri lankan infact - and all the people here,teens in particular,are hugely influenced by western culture.it's terrible,the poem makes it sound as if we resent westerners or something,ridiculous! :mad:
    i know, I didn't think for a minute that everyone in eastern countries thought like that, as no-one would believe that everyone in western countries dresses in skimpy clothing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Woodsy)
    Post your crap somewhere else.
    Yeah - Like a bin or something?? :rolleyes:

Crap poem matey!! :mad:

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.