Turn on thread page Beta

Most important British band/artist of the last 90s watch

ReputationRep:
    Please don't vote for your favourite band. That's not the idea of this poll. Which band out of these 10 do you think had the most impact in the 90s and early 00s?

Some people might vote for Oasis right away but bear in mind that Oasis' international sales were never that huge and they never really breaked into the US market.

This explains why artists like Spice Girls and Dido are there even though some people might question their musical importance.

If people can suggest other bands, and aren't happy with these 10 bands, then we can already start a different poll: bear in mind: it's not about who is your favourite band. The band must have had an international impact.

ReputationRep:
    This started well :rolleyes: I made a mistake in the thread title. Can a mod change it to "of the last 10 years"?

ReputationRep:
    Spice up your life! Girl power!

ReputationRep:
    radiohead. cos they are the best generally :p:

*favouritism always gets in the way*

ReputationRep:
    ooh, first to vote. It has to be Oasis. No other band has had as many classic songs that are still national favourites 10 years on! Admittedly they did never manage to "break America" but looking at some American artists maybe thats not such a bad thing. Radiohead and Blur have to be a close 2nd and 3rd for me!

ReputationRep:
    ok, maybe not first

ReputationRep:
    Oasis and the spice girls probably.

ReputationRep:
    Suede.

Placebo aren't British.

ReputationRep:
    oasis never had success in america so they dont count :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxpinkaxx)
    ooh, first to vote. It has to be Oasis. No other band has had as many classic songs that are still national favourites 10 years on! Admittedly they did never manage to "break America" but looking at some American artists maybe thats not such a bad thing. Radiohead and Blur have to be a close 2nd and 3rd for me!
    Well I've always hated the whole Britpop movement: it announced the decline of the importance of British music. Until then, British artists litterally competed with American aritsts on the international scene. Ok, it's not only about the sales but the Britpop artists were just too British to appeal to that many people. Music should be able to travel across borders and unite people. Britpop did everything but that.

I think if I were to choose Oasis, Radiohead and Blur, Radiohead would come out winners. But I choose Bush :rolleyes: Just because they went from being to "Nirvana-wannabes" to defining modern alternative rock.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Euripides)
    Suede.

Placebo aren't British.
    They're a London band and started off on a British label.. It doesn't matter that one's American, one's Swedish and the drummer is British. Plus Brian Molko has hardly lived in the US anyway. If they belong to a country it's the UK.

Edit: At the Kerrang! Awards (ok hardly the best example), Placebo are nominated as best British band.

ReputationRep:
    Molko spent most of his life in Europe (I think it was Luxemburg or somewhere around there).

pah! Kerrang readers know nothing about music.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Euripides)
    Molko spent most of his life in Europe (I think it was Luxemburg or somewhere around there).

pah! Kerrang readers know nothing about music.
    That's right. He grew up in Luxembourg because his Dad was a banker there. But the band only existed once they had all met in London (at the start, for the first album, none of the members were British until they fired the drummer).

The lead singer of Garbage is Scottish. They're not much of a Scottish band though. There are quite a few American bands with British lead singers but they're not British. There are British bands fronted by Americans: The Pretenders probably being one of the most famous. The Brand New Heavies being another...

ReputationRep:
    Radiohead all the way. No other modern british band have defined and develop music like them and they are true legends.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bowie88)
    Radiohead all the way. No other modern british band have defined and develop music like them and they are true legends.
    For musical influence, I'd agree with that. None of those other bands come close.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamTheMan)
    For musical influence, I'd agree with that. None of those other bands come close.
    Hello?! Do you not remember wannabe... I really really really wanna ziggazigaaaahhhhhh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellie4)
    Hello?! Do you not remember wannabe... I really really really wanna ziggazigaaaahhhhhh.

hehe

I think the Spice Girls are a valid choice (otherwise I wouldn't have put them up as an option). Musically, they spawned a load of lookalike bands, but even then, they never really broke into the American market. It was at the time of "Spice Up Your Life" that they started getting a lot of success, but then Geri had to leave and mess things up!

ReputationRep:
    hehe

I think the Spice Girls are a valid choice (otherwise I wouldn't have put them up as an option). Musically, they spawned a load of lookalike bands, but even then, they never really broke into the American market. It was at the time of "Spice Up Your Life" that they started getting a lot of success, but then Geri had to leave and mess things up!
    I cried the day she left But they had a massive influence on me. I wanted to be Geri, and I bought the union jack dress. Ooo and I had bufallos until baby spice fell of hers and broke her ankle, and my rents stopped me wearing them :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellie4)
    I cried the day she left But they had a massive influence on me. I wanted to be Geri, and I bought the union jack dress. Ooo and I had bufallos until baby spice fell of hers and broke her ankle, and my rents stopped me wearing them :p:
    ummm that's.... interesting. Did your friends pretend not to know you in the street?

ReputationRep:
    ummm that's.... interesting. Did your friends pretend not to know you in the street?
    :eek:

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 20, 2005
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.