Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    It's so annoying, they always go to the good schools, with the better teachers and pick students that they know will get A's. It frustrates me alot. Some of us average students are happy with our D's, because we don't go to a good school we don't expect to get high grades.

ReputationRep:
    Yup Sky news was at my college, getting the cameras up in everyones faces, he was nearly taking a close of up of his colon after id missed my offer by a few marks (ABC, needed ABB) but got in anyway.

One of my old school mates made it on but he did get 4 A's and fair play to the guy he worked hard and defo got what he deserved, most people that get those sort of grades have had to work extremely hard for them.

ReputationRep:
    Oh god... i was in the paper for GCSEs... i'll type what it said that I said. Which i can assure you i DIDNT... how embarrassing...

"I'm really pleased and hope to continue my successes in my A levels next year"

I think what they'll find i ACTUALLY said was "no thanks i dont really want to be int he paper".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ncfcanna)
    It's so annoying, they always go to the good schools, with the better teachers and pick students that they know will get A's. It frustrates me alot. Some of us average students are happy with our D's, because we don't go to a good school we don't expect to get high grades.
    It's not always the case, I go to a local college which is considered to be average with hardly any good teachers. But my college wants to build up a good reputation so called in the local newspapers as did a near by college which is known as the worst college in town! But the newspaper also interviewed people who got B's, C's and D's.

ReputationRep:
    Hehe well i don't know if I'm actually gonna be in the paper (they go to print on a wednesday) but the NWN took my pic and i got on the website... I look like i'm crying hehe
    What I'm actually doing is saying WHAT THE FRENCH CONNECTION?!?! I got an A in GERMAN?!?! HOW??!?!!
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    I managed to get in beacuse we all got into Uni - yay! Feel free to look . . .
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    If that thing about the good college was in my direction... then I can just clear up a few details.

-I go to a state comprehensive school, and studied A levels at its non-selective internal college.
    -My college on the whole gets average results across the A level and GCSE spectrum, we are nothing special. My head of college was called and asked if anyone had achieved more than 5A grades, and thats why a couple of reporters showed up.
    -My teachers were far from amazing, I taught myself Physics A2, and History AS and A2, because of the low quality for Physics and because I couldn't be timetabled for History. I also taught myself half of the Chemistry modules and AS further maths. And even taught myself other random modules from English and Maths due to having to work ahead of time to fit things in... So its hardly like I was spoonfed.
    -I never expected such good grades, but as someone has already said I worked so hard for them the memories of some nights revising actually makes me feel the mental strain still. So whatever I got I know I earned it with elbow grease, rather than having the natural gifts to sail through.

Hopefully that clears some things up.

ReputationRep:
    i also got into the paper for the 3rd year running yey. See craig 610s pic im on the left at the front lol

ReputationRep:
    for GCSEs last year, i only found out that my school wanted me in 2 local papers when there was a hand written note scribbled on my results envelope saying The first was a group one, which was fine. Actually, it was quite fun! The photo was of everyone who got A*s/As, but one of my friends (who hadnt got all A*s/As, but still did really well) just walked and sat herself down right in the middle. When the reporter asked what she was doing, she said: 'well, i'm happy with my results, why can't i be in the photo?'. The look on the reporter's face was worth a picture in itself, he looked completely offended that someone that in the newspapers eyes hadnt acheived 'top grades' could do that!

But the second paper - oh i'm cringing as i remember this - me and my friend were asked to have a photo as a pair and were interviewed along with it. The photographer asked us to stand at the top of the school steps whilst he took the photo from the botom... but he progressed up the stairs taking pictures as he went from different angles, until he was ONE step away.

Guess which photo ended up in the paper? The one where he literally had the camera in our faces. Literally! We were so shocked when he came up so close, both of us backed away, but he said 'no no, come closer than that!!!'

Not only that, but the interviewer twisted our words completely. My friend's grandad had been really ill, so she happened to say that he was 'especially pleased'. The interviewer quoted her as saying 'my grandfather broke down and wept with joy'. You get the idea....

ReputationRep:
    Alas, no local paper. Though I did end up in some weird Egyptian news site, amongst other things...

ReputationRep:
    The papers came to results day and started taking photos without asking for permission.So I threatened the photographer with,"Take another photo of me and I'll rip the film out of your camera..."

He stopped.Lol.

I wouldn't have minded if he'd asked!

ReputationRep:
    I was in my local paper too - so thats twice ; GCSEs and now A-levels

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...ndom/chich.jpg

Im on the far left

ReputationRep:
    I was for GCSE but not for AS.

ReputationRep:
    Robbie, why did your college allow you to do so many subjects? Especially since you couldn't even be timetabled for them? Did they just realise you were OBVIOUSLY VERY INTELLIGENT :p: and want to make the most of it? My school (a grammar) would never let any of us do that. We're not even allowed to do four A Levels, we HAVE to drop an AS

ReputationRep:
    I did a n*zi salut :eek: in my group photo at school to offend those readaing it, rather gay! School took a photo of me and my twin friends, both standing either side of me, as our teacher just told us to stand there while talking to us and some idiot photo guy took our photo before i knew what happened.

ReputationRep:
    is nazi a swearword on here??

edit: ok not!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leona)
    is nazi a swearword on here??

edit: ok not!
    Some may be offended!

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.