The Student Room Group

What's the One Thing they don't tell you to pack...

Scroll to see replies

Thinking 'outside the box'
popadoms..
I'm telling ya

You'll get a curry with mates, and one of them will be like "DAYYUMMM no popadoms" and you can whip a packet from behind the couch and save the day :colone:
This thread makes me petrified I will forget something important o.o
Reply 123
LIQUID for laundry - powder doesn't work in our dispensers.
COLOUR CATCHERS - epic money savers, means you can just chuck it all in and not worry.

UNDERWEAR - bring twice as many pairs as you think you need. I have around 30 just at uni.
COAT HANGERS - again, you need twice as many as you think you do.
PENS - same, you will lend and not see them again, you will drop them, they will run out... mare.

A TRAY - even if you're catered, it's just so useful for keeping your tea/coffee making equipment in one place and not spilling stuff.
FOOD - the kind you will only eat when REALLY randomly hungry (if catered) such as raisins and digestives. Saves going to the vending machine.

PRINTER - I'd say it's an essential, not a luxury. But I do live 30 minutes from university.
Reply 124
Original post by Zoombini
this thread has inspired me to make a little box of things for my friend when she goes away in september

I wish I had friends like you. Ha ha :smile:
Reply 125
100000 bottles of washing up liquid if you're self-catered
Kitchen towel- Loads off
Toilet Paper
1. / A few boxes of Co-Codamol (for when paracetamol/ibuprofen just ISN'T enough!)
2. / Big studio headphones (for when you really want to listen to loud music / watch movies and somewhat care about the sleep of your fellow housemates)
3. / A Cocktail Shaker
4. / If you drive, a breathalyzer is useful for finding out when you really shouldn't be driving anywhere
5. / A fire blanket
6. / Sugar
7. / Passport (random holidays can happen!)
8. / An external pocket Hard Drive filled with 100's of Movies and TV Shows. Handy.
9. / A coffee machine and large supply of filter coffee
10. / An Epi-pen.
Original post by sundogs
100000 bottles of washing up liquid if you're self-catered

Or you could just buy like 1000 paper plates etc. Saves on washing up...

To OP - Excellent thread
It's important to remember that most universities are actually in an area where you can access shops. You can buy things.
One of my friends arrived with about 6months worth of sanitary items. Really not necessary!

Chopping boards are useful.
Oven gloves
String. We always needed string for some reason in first year.
Batteries.
Several sets of headphones. They'll always get lost, usually down the back of the sofa.
No-one ever told me to take scissors, bugger. For trimming toe-nails, pubes, bits of paper etc.
Reply 131
Hey, just a general question, do you need to bring like plates, cutlery etc? and toasters and ketteles? juts wondering me and my friends were questioning this!
Original post by RosiL
Hey, just a general question, do you need to bring like plates, cutlery etc? and toasters and ketteles? juts wondering me and my friends were questioning this!

Plates/cutlery yes.

Toasters/kettles no.

In halls anyway...
This thread is depressing. I'm coming from overseas so I'll have to buy everything there D:
Original post by RosiL

In our halls, we had to bring plates, cutlery, toasters and kettles. I think it'll depend on the university and the type of halls. :smile:
brain
Flip-flops. Especially if you have you share a wet-room shower with 10 people...
Reply 137
- Plug adapters, if you are coming outside of UK

- Drive license

- Sponge

- Alarm clock

- Dust wipes

- Photos of your loved ones!

- Cell phone charger

- Comb

- Small mirror

- Hair dryer/Hair straightener

- Ruler!

- Dictionary

- notes from old classes

- Pajamas!
Reply 138
Also, thermometer!!
Original post by tehsponge
This thread is depressing. I'm coming from overseas so I'll have to buy everything there D:

Same here... :/ :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending