The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by RubberDinghyRapid
If you're paying for braces, which you will be at this age, you might as well pay a slight premium and get Invisalign treatment done privately. It costs about £6000, as opposed to the £5000 for the train track braces, but they're almost completely invisible (!), and more hygenic too. Basically, they look and work a bit like those retainers you get at the end of a course of braces, except you change braces every couple of weeks to tighten your teeth further and these "retainers" are your braces. Meanwhile, since they're totally removable (allowing you to enjoy the same food and drinks you always do as long as you temporarily remove them), you can get in between the teeth and behind the braces much easier and really floss and clean properly.

I haven't got it done yet, but I'm saving up for it. Sure, it costs an extra grand... but pretty!

I dont know which dentists have been quoting you those prices, but Ive paid just over £2000 for my train track braces (clear, ceramic so you cant see them) and thats a flat cost my orthodontist charges everyone regardless of severity/tooth extractions etc.

All the Invisalign consultations I had were rubbish, every dentist said something different about my teeth and there was just no consistency. Which is why I decided to go for the traditional braces in the end.
Original post by hannahhi
There probably is a way of getting your treatment transferred but for me I didn't really want to - my orthadontist has been working with me for about 6 years now and because he's preparing me for the surgery, I felt that moving orthadontists at such a late stage wouldn't be a wise idea. But maybe that's just me - it is a hassle, and it is expensive but I'd rather have that than have to get used to someone new etc.

My appointments are generally 6-8 weeks apart, just for check ups now really as my braces are pretty much as tight as they can go. Again, probably depends on the orthadontist.

I'll have had mine on for a year if i go over to another part of the UK for uni.. so I can't see it being difficult seeing as it's just a basic braces treatment. Still really worries me though :frown: how much does i cost you on average if you dont mind me asking- for travel.
Reply 22
Original post by ohohnicolio
I'll have had mine on for a year if i go over to another part of the UK for uni.. so I can't see it being difficult seeing as it's just a basic braces treatment. Still really worries me though :frown: how much does i cost you on average if you dont mind me asking- for travel.

Yeah, I doubt there'll be much hassle transferring to somewhere nearby :smile: And it's pretty expensive as I have to fly - can be anything between £30-£50 depending on when I book them etc. But thankfully my parents help me out and I get a visit home out of it. It is a pain, but as I said probably best I stay with my home one for now. Just can't wait til it's all over :smile:

Latest