Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    OK chaps, debate contemporary issues in this thread and i'll do my best to erase the detritus, leaving sparkly-clean arguments for us to peruse.

Note: I have freewill to delete anything I deem irrelevant in this thread, so don't moan if I tidy things up!

ReputationRep:
    First motion for debate:

The United States are a force for good in the world today.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edders)
    First motion for debate:

Depends how you define good: the American good, or common sense good.

ReputationRep:
    First motion for debate:

Can we have a definition for the word "force" please. Economic? Poltitcal? Military? Influence?

ReputationRep:
    First motion for debate:

of course we are (when were not off fighting pointless wars) we send food and first aid to countries who need it thats good!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    Can we have a definition for the word "force" please. Economic? Poltitcal? Military? Influence?
    work the definition out amongst yourselves

ReputationRep:
    work the definition out amongst yourselves
    OK then, America is a good "force" for the world in the aid it gives out. HOWEVER, most of the aid is tied to political motives, so maybe it is not so good...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ensocopier)
    Depends how you define good: the American good, or common sense good.
    common-sense good? as in utilitarian good :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    OK then, America is a good "force" for the world in the aid it gives out. HOWEVER, most of the aid is tied to political motives, so maybe it is not so good...
    In the short term, sure America is preventing terrorism etc. But in the long term its just stoking up resentment for the future.

ReputationRep:
    First motion for debate:

Hmmm I do not like the current political temperament, but I think history will have to judge the US positively.

Can you tell I'm not too bothered about heated debate? :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    even if its for political reasons, someone is still getting help.....i can personally remember several times when the state gov. called for donations of teddy bears and stuff to go to kosovo.....i gave half of my really good ones away......

but i liked to think some poor kid who had to leave their teddy bear behind at their old house who was a refugee would have one again....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ensocopier)
    In the short term, sure America is preventing terrorism etc. But in the long term its just stoking up resentment for the future.
    But it actually gives aid out! otehr countries just don't have the monetary poweer to do that. The aid is beneficial to the people that recieves it. No doubt aboutt hat. But the main thing as you correctly said, it is for short term gain only.

ReputationRep:
    common-sense good? as in utilitarian good :confused:
    Edders, will you chair the debate? Will you join the debate?

ReputationRep:
    Well at this very moment in time if America stopped existing the world would be a worse place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    But it actually gives aid out! otehr countries just don't have the monetary poweer to do that. The aid is beneficial to the people that recieves it. No doubt aboutt hat. But the main thing as you correctly said, it is for short term gain only.
    the question is, is giving aid inherently 'good' or is it only 'good' if its for humanitarian relief? what about aid to governments eg. israel?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    Edders, will you chair the debate? Will you join the debate?
    ill chair by asking thought-provoking questions

ReputationRep:
    American because it is the only superpower and has complete dominance economically is resulting in less devolped countries not being able to properly devolp due to firms undercutting etc etc.

The problem does not lie in America itsself but the way the people within it misuse the power America as a nation as accumulated.

(edders sooo stole my idea !)

ReputationRep:
    First motion for debate:

the united states are murderers and are hated by the majority of the world's nations for obvious reasons.

i dont call a country who destroys another nation (iraq) then sends them supplies as "kind".......they only do that to try and show that they mean good when they attack a country. its rubbish really.

and another point: what was the excuse for the hiroshima bomb?

ohh yes, it was to try out a weapon that could wipe out a nation, so i suppose thats good. (sarcasm 4 any who didnt get that. )

the united states use and create these terrible weapons, they encourage dodgy people to use them, then cheat on them 15 years later (hint hint!) and make up rules 4 themselves. its all so hypocritical it takes the mick.

i think the united states r a force, but just a force with terrible motives that are not "for good in the world".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seer)
    Well at this very moment in time if America stopped existing the world would be a worse place.
    America as in the land? Or the people?

Course it will be disaterous! America has links to all countries, and frankly, if America was to suddenly disappear overnight, it will do more harm than good, because the Americans have intergretated it self into our society.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    America as in the land? Or the people?

Course it will be disaterous! America has links to all countries, and frankly, if America was to suddenly disappear overnight, it will do more harm than good, because the Americans have intergretated it self into our society.
    of course it has.....now who had mcdonalds for lunch?

when we went to england there were McDonalds everywhere (in London) and it drove my brother crazy because that was his favorite fastfood place!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 2, 2004
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.