Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edders)
    ill chair by asking thought-provoking questions
    Such as what I wonder?

ReputationRep:
    the question is, is giving aid inherently 'good' or is it only 'good' if its for humanitarian relief? what about aid to governments eg. israel?
    Exactly, thats what I was trying to say. America isn't stupid. Think about ti, just giving $20 million to a country askign for nothing back is stupid. All aid is linked politically. Even if it is for a future favour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fluff)
    and another point: what was the excuse for the hiroshima bomb?
    It ended the war.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)
    American because it is the only superpower and has complete dominance economically is resulting in less devolped countries not being able to properly devolp due to firms undercutting etc etc.

The problem does not lie in America itsself but the way the people within it misuse the power America as a nation as accumulated.

(edders sooo stole my idea !)
    i dont see which side youre arguing for corey?
    and yes corey has the credit for this thread

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by curryADD)
    of course it has.....now who had mcdonalds for lunch?

when we went to england there were McDonalds everywhere (in London) and it drove my brother crazy because that was his favorite fastfood place!
    Minor point. If Macdonalds didnt exist, there would be more thin people today. HOWEVER, the tax raised by MacDonalds would have been used to buy a respitator that would have saved someone's life. So...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    Exactly, thats what I was trying to say. America isn't stupid. Think about ti, just giving $20 million to a country askign for nothing back is stupid. All aid is linked politically. Even if it is for a future favour.
    so is your answer to the motion dependant on your political allegiances? or can they objectively be described as 'good' or 'bad'?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by curryADD)
    of course it has.....now who had mcdonalds for lunch?

when we went to england there were McDonalds everywhere (in London) and it drove my brother crazy because that was his favorite fastfood place!
    but does integration = a force for good?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)
    It ended the war.
    Yes, and so will storming Japan, causing loads of American troop deaths. The thing is, what will America do so that it can win by expending least amount of damage to itself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    Minor point. If Macdonalds didnt exist, there would be more thin people today. HOWEVER, the tax raised by MacDonalds would have been used to buy a respitator that would have saved someone's life. So...
    It makes no difference whether or not the undiscerning masses want to feed themselves fatty poisons, as long as the money keeps flowing in the form of tax, then I'll be satisfied that this is a decent world.

ReputationRep:
    i dont see which side youre arguing for corey?
    and yes corey has the credit for this thread
    I am arguing that saying America is a force for good as a nation is undenyable because without them as previously stated things wouldn't be too good.

However, people within American (large corperations,whitehouse etc etc) do not always use the power that America has to benefit the world and make it a better place. One such example being economically destroying countries markets by undercutting them.

So, America is good due things such as trade, but their power is often misused in interests of 'america first' policies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr White)
    It makes no difference whether or not the undiscerning masses want to feed themselves fatty poisons, as long as the money keeps flowing in the form of tax, then I'll be satisfied that this is a decent world.
    but whats your stance on the motion mr white?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)
    It ended the war.
    ys coz it killed everybody and spread disease.

ReputationRep:
    so is your answer to the motion dependant on your political allegiances? or can they objectively be described as 'good' or 'bad'?
    Humanitarian aid on itself (no polticial connections etc, like us giving money to the poor, we don't ask for something in return) = good. (it saves peoples lives...)

Aid connected to political motives = good/bad

Because, good= saves peoples life, improve peoples living conditions etc.

Bad, because it normanlly has to do something in return, i.e. Philippenes, has US army base in return for monetary aid.

Poltical aid= giving technical help to Israel for nuclear bombs etc.

Bad, as just makes its neighbours mad...

ReputationRep:
    but does integration = a force for good?
    you mean difussion (the geographic term for one aspect of a culture appearing in anouther)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)
    So, America is good due things such as trade, but their power is often misused in interests of 'america first' policies.
    isnt trade inherently conducted with an 'america first' attitude? and if america looks after its own interests first, does that limit the possibility that it can be a force for good?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fluff)
    ys coz it killed everybody and spread disease.
    Yes it killed 'everybody' very well informed. No matter which way the war was ended it would of had to be ended someway and it would have resulted in many deaths...if not even more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr White)
    So would I, but what if teh fatty posions happened to be fed to your offspring? And it dies due to the fatty poisions? Will your views change then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    Bad, because it normanlly has to do something in return, i.e. Philippenes, has US army base in return for monetary aid.
    but in the wider picture, is spreading american power by foreign military bases a bad thing?

ReputationRep:
    but whats your stance on the motion mr white?
    I detest America and it's president, but I believe that the world we live in is an okay one, so I wouldn't change anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    So would I, but what if teh fatty posions happened to be fed to your offspring? And it dies due to the fatty poisions? Will your views change then?
    *cough* relevance to motion?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 2, 2004
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.