The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
edders
*cough* relevance to motion?

In answer to critiscsm to one of my points made by White.
Reply 41
corey
Yes it killed 'everybody' very well informed. No matter which way the war was ended it would of had to be ended someway and it would have resulted in many deaths...if not even more.

even more? it killed absolutely loads, the war would never have resulted in so many deaths.

not to mention the effect it had on the next 50 years coz of the nuclear radiaiton, deformed babies etc.

so u r saying that it is good to "get the masses dying over and done with in lesser time". thats what your last post seemed to say.

and anyway, how on earth was it america's business to randomly blow up a country?

unless japan did that to usa, i see no justifiable reason to do such a thing.
Reply 42
edders
isnt trade inherently conducted with an 'america first' attitude? and if america looks after its own interests first, does that limit the possibility that it can be a force for good?

Yes but all trade is in the interest of yourself, but it benefits others just as much as they are willing to do the trade.
The pursuit of too many 'america first' policies that ignore the consequences the the global community obviously limit the force for good.

This has been shown by Bush failing to sign the treaty (i forget its name) on global warming. This is yet another failing as america think of short term gain for themselves.
Reply 43
Mr White
I detest America and it's president, but I believe that the world we live in is an okay one, so I wouldn't change anything.

so america is not a force for good in the world? rightio
Reply 44
fluff

and anyway, how on earth was it america's business to randomly blow up a country?

so america is not a force for good because it violates countries' sovereignty?
Reply 45
edders
but in the wider picture, is spreading american power by foreign military bases a bad thing?

No. because it just makes the arms race tick over, again and again. Also In Kabul, they barracade themselves in their barracks. Whilst the civilians get no discernible benefits from the base.
Reply 46
edders

Like Hitler's Germany, yes.
Reply 47
fluff
even more? it killed absolutely loads, the war would never have resulted in so many deaths.

not to mention the effect it had on the next 50 years coz of the nuclear radiaiton, deformed babies etc.

so u r saying that it is good to "get the masses dying over and done with in lesser time". thats what your last post seemed to say.

unless japan did that to usa, i see no justifiable reason to do such a thing.

On reference to the motion - 'On the world today' , your arguement is irrelevant.
Reply 48
edders

america can never win public opinion....i almost wish we had followed washingtons 2 pieces of advice before he stepped down

1. never allow yourself to be tangled in european affairs
2. never split into parties

unfortunatly we didnt follow either!
Reply 49
edders

yes. :smile:

they just randomly step in and do what they want, if another country did that it would be "ohh my god, what on earth gives them the right to blow up another country".
Reply 50
curryADD
america can never win public opinion....i almost wish we had followed washingtons 2 pieces of advice before he stepped down

1. never allow yourself to be tangled in european affairs
2. never split into parties

unfortunatly we didnt follow either!

This is just proving the point that American is an isolantionist nation that does not care about the consequences of their actions on other parts of the world - surely this CANNOT be a good thing.
Reply 51
edders
so america is not a force for good in the world? rightio

Ha, of course it isn't! America only looks out for America. Still, life is ideal for anyone living in the rich western world, so I have no reason to complain.
Reply 52
corey
On reference to the motion - 'On the world today' , your arguement is irrelevant.

i was linking the iraq situation from my post earlier, to a similar example to 50 years ago, to emphasize america's persistent violation of a nation's sovereignty. :smile:
Reply 53
Like Hitler's Germany, yes.

can the violation of sovereignty be justified? eg. to spread democracy to iraq? or is it always wrong?
Reply 54
corey
This is just proving the point that American is an isolantionist nation that does not care about the consequences of their actions on other parts of the world - surely this CANNOT be a good thing.

i said we didnt follow eithre, apparently we arent isolationist anymore....thats why i said we didnt follow that piece of advice...genius
Reply 55
Mr White
Ha, of course it isn't! America only looks out for America. Still, life is ideal for anyone living in the rich western world, so I have no reason to complain.

Life would be better if I was a rich American.
America thinks that its system and thoughts should be held the world over. Sure, it gives aid and help to countries in need, but it also bombs and kills thousands of innocents. September 11th was a tragedy, but look at all the people that America have killed in other countries.
Reply 57
corey

do countries have a duty to think through the consequences of their actions on other countries? or should, in a democratic country, a president/prime minister look after the interests of the people who elected him?
Reply 58
edders
can the violation of sovereignty be justified? eg. to spread democracy to iraq? or is it always wrong?

Like spreading "demorcracy" to Somlia? Which is blood ridden as before?

To impose your views on another country is just as bad as Muslims who try to impose their extremeist views on their country.
corey

America used to be isolationist before it joined the First World War. Imagine if it hadn't. The war could still be raging now! Also it wasn't looking that good for us until the Americans joined.

America is the opposite of isolationist! They try to get involved with all international affairs!

Latest

Trending

Trending