Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by curryADD)
    i said we didnt follow eithre, apparently we arent isolationist anymore....thats why i said we didnt follow that piece of advice...genius
    Sorry you mis interpreted what I intended, its basic philosophy is to be isolantionist.

Are you trying to claim that America is not very isolantionist?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefish_uk)
    America used to be isolationist before it joined the First World War. Imagine if it hadn't. The war could still be raging now! Also it wasn't looking that good for us until the Americans joined.

America is the opposite of isolationist! They try to get involved with all international affairs!
    They managed to successfully ignore the UN which is a main internation body in the current political leaders want to sort out Iraq.

ReputationRep:
    Would we say that the sum of benefits vs. damages that the US has contributed to

1) the UK
    2) the EU
    3) the World

is postive or negative?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)
    They managed to successfully ignore the UN which is a main internation body in the current political leaders want to sort out Iraq.
    hey, the UN doesnt control us, or anyone, george bush wanted to do what he did, congress passed it......it was perfectly legal in our justice system, maybe not in yours.....but america doesnt need to follow your rules!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edders)
    do countries have a duty to think through the consequences of their actions on other countries? or should, in a democratic country, a president/prime minister look after the interests of the people who elected him?
    Well isn't any country only ever acting in its own interests? America attacked Iraq because it was a threat and they wanted the oil - not for the people.

Isn't the whole idea of democracy that the leaders follow the will of the people? Doesn't that mean they'd have to have a country-wide vote on just about everything for it to be truly democratic?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)
    They managed to successfully ignore the UN which is a main internation body
    but is the majority always right?

ReputationRep:
    Like the majority that voted for Hitler?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)
    That's because the Americans think they have the right to police the world, right?

This debate is getting really deep, I think I'm out of my depth a bit but I'll manage, lol. Edders - you chose a great topic with all the political and American people on board here. Is somebody going to write a report at the end?

ReputationRep:
    That's because the Americans think they have the right to police the world, right?

This debate is getting really deep, I think I'm out of my depth a bit but I'll manage, lol. Edders - you chose a great topic with all the political and American people on board here. Is somebody going to write a report at the end?
    No, beacuse edders will moderate all the posts so only the cream remains.

ReputationRep:
    Well no, tyranny of majority (detocville sp?) - but in this case it was not such an issue in which they should of gone against worldwide opinion!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    In a huge depression? It could happen in this country under the right circumstances.

Some people said Hitler did nothing wrong inside his own country because it was his right to be there and he was elected.

You can't dispute that it is best to go with the majority though.

ReputationRep:
    A thread about America and I missed it! Damn!

I hate America because they seem to abuse their power and they think nothing of running 6 litre gas guzzlers casuing stupid amounts of C02 and wasting valuable fuel resources.

Did you know the USA generates more CO2 than the rest of the world put together?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    well, you might want to take such historical precedents into consideration when answering my question

ReputationRep:
    In a huge depression? It could happen in this country under the right circumstances.

Some people said Hitler did nothing wrong inside his own country because it was his right to be there and he was elected.

You can't dispute that it is best to go with the majority though.
    Yes, but do you dispute it not as well that teh majority of germans voted to have the jews persecuted?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)
    Well no, tyranny of majority (detocville sp?) - but in this case it was not such an issue in which they should of gone against worldwide opinion!
    in that case america is not technically a democracy....in democracy's the majority can take away the rights of the minority.....in america, that can't happen.....so there for we are a democratic republic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)

I hate America because they seem to abuse their power and they think nothing of running 6 litre gas guzzlers casuing stupid amounts of C02 and wasting valuable fuel resources.

Did you know the USA generates more CO2 than the rest of the world put together?
    well, perhaps we should consider the deliberate actions of america (eg. aid, war) seperately to its unintended actions (eg. pollution, arms races)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)

that would make sense.....everyone drives a SUV :rolleyes: my mom however is enviornmentally friendsly and drives a car that gets 27 miles to the gallon....

ReputationRep:
    well, perhaps we should consider the deliberate actions of america (eg. aid, war) seperately to its unintended actions (eg. pollution, arms races)?
    But its kind of connected because the USA could easily reduce the amount of pollution and other resource they waste. If Al Gore got in he was commited to joining some european commitee to help the USA drasticly cut down on resources but Bush is having none of it.

I think its just selfish and the main one of the main reasons the USA is probably so bothered about the middle east is because of vital fuel supplies at least with the Gulf war anyway.

I think what they have done in Iraq is probably right in theory but in practise I don't think it will solve anything. There are still far too many unstable countries out there that hate the USA.

ReputationRep:
    Pollution is almost as bad as war. Bush pulling out of the Kyoto Protocol (was that the one?) was a deliberate act of ignorance.

Arms races are caused by nothing but America being arrogant and wanting to stay on top of the world, I think.

Do America give a lot of aid?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    Did you also know that CO2 is not regarded by most as the green house gas. Water is...
    Therefore america is not to be blamed for its waste emissions

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 2, 2004
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.