Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefish_uk)
    Pollution is almost as bad as war. Bush pulling out of the Kyoto Protocol (was that the one?) was a deliberate act of ignorance.

Arms races are caused by nothing but America being arrogant and wanting to stay on top of the world, I think.

Do America give a lot of aid?
    America gives very little aid in terms of aid given per capita.

ReputationRep:
    Pollution is almost as bad as war. Bush pulling out of the Kyoto Protocol (was that the one?) was a deliberate act of ignorance.

Arms races are caused by nothing but America being arrogant and wanting to stay on top of the world, I think.

Do America give a lot of aid?
    1) not really, as said before water vapours is the main source of green house gas. The rest only absorbs a minor amount, but water I've read somewhere allows the whole spectrum through.

Also ozone is not being depleted by CFCs. They are too heavy to reach teh atmosphere. and also as edders would know there is an equilibrium reaction between ozone and oxygen, so basically we can do no harm to teh ozone protection.

2) That is correct, a main part

3)Yes tehy do, almost int eh top 3 if I remember rightly, one of teh most aid/person givers int eh world. Thoug most are linked to political aims...

ReputationRep:
    what if america made efforts to reduce pollution, but they still remain high? is their intention the most important thing in considering the motion?

note: everyone please stick to debating the motion please...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    3)Yes tehy do, almost int eh top 3 if I remember rightly, one of teh most aid/person givers int eh world. Thoug most are linked to political aims...
    but in terms of aid as a % of their GDP, they are one of the lowest in the developed western world... is this important?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    3)Yes they do, almost in the top 3 if I remember rightly, one of the most aid/person givers in the world. Though most are linked to political aims...
    Trying to get people to like them more? Well that's the only reason they'd have for giving aid... It does seem wierd, the idea of America (of all countries, giving aid...).

If they reduce pollution a bit... well, at least they're trying, we can give them a pat on the back and a pack of colouring crayons for that, can't we?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edders)
    but in terms of aid as a % of their GDP, they are one of the lowest in the developed western world... is this important?
    as i said, i dont a single person who doesnt give through the red cross personally....and the red cross tries to help all over the world....

see my above post....

my family gives at least 5000 of charity a year....

ReputationRep:
    Of course it is. They have the potential to offer so much more, but just fail to do so.

ReputationRep:
    per capita is different.

For example, do you give more if you are rich to poor people than when you are a student?

Is this important?-No, they are better than some countries, if the other countries improve tehior aid donations tehn I might reconsider american's aid donations. What happens if america decides to not give aid at all?

ReputationRep:
    It is really in my opinion, well a bit selfish of them.

It all goes to the military probably, trying to stay on top. Or the space programmes... I can't think of any more places they'd spend it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by curryADD)
    as i said, i dont a single person who doesnt give through the red cross personally....and the red cross tries to help all over the world....

see my above post....

my family gives at least 5000 of charity a year....
    please try and move from the personal to the global in your focus.

is america a force for good in the world today?

ReputationRep:
    America is just selfish and wants only what is best for them. I don't think this is fault of its citizens but probably more a fault of how their government system allows these selfish people to rule it. Quite clearly America shoudl give more aid than it does. Its the richest country in the world (unless Japan has taken over).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    America is just selfish and wants only what is best for them. I don't think this is fault of its citizens but probably more a fault of how their government system allows these selfish people to rule it. Quite clearly America shoudl give more aid than it does. Its the richest country in the world (unless Japan has taken over).
    True but then compare it with teh top 10 richest people int eh world. Do they give as mush per % capita as other people? I guess not.

Same with america. The % may be low. But it is a hellva lot of aid none the less.

ReputationRep:
    It is really in my opinion, well a bit selfish of them.

It all goes to the military probably, trying to stay on top. Or the space programmes... I can't think of any more places they'd spend it.
    What would happen if America gave up on maintaining its military/space lead etc? I'm curious here.

ReputationRep:
    I guess everything that America does has a political or paranoid motive, and it happens that some people get off better along the way.

Why not look at recent world events and imagine America hadn't have been involved at all? What would the world be like then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    What would happen if America gave up on maintaining its military/space lead etc? I'm curious here.
    They won't. It is written in a declaration that America must be a superpower and retain its lead by "principle"...So they are basically screwing everyone up and trying to be a world dominat force...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    They won't. It is written in a declaration that America must be a superpower and retain its lead by "principle"...So they are basically screwing everyone up and trying to be a world dominat force...
    Is it really?

I could imagine it. That every US President must try and make America as powerful as possible, and keep the lead.

ReputationRep:
    a question: would we have the same attitude to any country that was the world's only superpower? is it the power that the country has, rather than the country itself, that we dislike?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    True, but as I've said before. 150-200 years from now. America will be nothing more than a memory of power. It is sad to think that they just haven't realised it, and refuse to be told anything.

ReputationRep:
    a question: would we have the same attitude to any country that was the world's only superpower? is it the power that the country has, rather than the country itself, that we dislike?
    Yes. But America is putting its nose into other peoples business it is just asking to get a whack.

It is by priniciple the human trait to get a bit turned on over another person's advancement

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    True, but as I've said before. 150-200 years from now. America will be nothing more than a memory of power. It is sad to think that they just haven't realised it, and refuse to be told anything.
    They plan for the future alright, they import oil form other country like mad, whilst staving off their own oil exploitation in their country. So in about 200 years time, when oil is depleted, if not rare commidity, america can still barracade itself in its "zone" and demand high price for its oil...maintaing a global power control

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 2, 2004
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.