Announcements

(Original post by xXMessedUpXx)
    yeah i second that one
    such a beautiful yet sad song
    JEW songs always get me depressed

ReputationRep:
    Various songs for various reasons...

Lifehouse - Simon

This song is one of my favourites ever. I heard this when I bought the album No Name Face. It's about a kid who is bullied, and his friend talks to him about it, telling him he's felt the same at one point. Also contains my favourite line from any song... "The arrogant build kingdoms made of the different ones/Breaking them 'til they've become/Just another crown". Incidentally the geek in our year at school was called Simon, but that's not related to why I like the song.

Billy Joel - We Can Start The Fire

Apparently this was the first song I ever managed to sing a line of (just the "We can start the fire" bit), only three weeks after saying my first word. Mind you, I didn't say it (the world "car") until I was two and a half!!!

James Blunt - You're Beautiful

I first heard of James Blunt when he released the song High, shortly before You're Beautiful came out. However, when I got the album and heard it, I couldn't believe it. I'm a songwriter, and the songs I generally write are quite "singer-songwritery", ie acoustic melodic pop/rock (although I listen to everything really). You're Beautiful is the song which is closest in it's overall style to anything I'd ever written. It was almost as though I had wrote it. I've always been told I write good catchy songs, but for this song to be so popular, it's given me a new found confidence in my songwriting which I've not had previously, which I hope to increase further at university.

Manic Street Preachers - A Design For Life

This song got me into my favourite band of all time. To me, the manics are like the musical version of my parents. Although I have other favourites nowadays, they are a band who's music will stick with me for life, and even when I don't want to listen to it, I'll always appreciate it. There's also a very sentimental link, in that although I always knew they came from the same town in Wales as my father, in 2002 my uncle was doing a family tree and I found out that I was blood-related to JD Bradfield (singer), and to happen to be related to my idol is one thing I will always cherish.

Lynyrd Skynyrd - Freebird

Quite possibly one of the greatest break-up songs ever. I've been going out with my girlfriend for 8 months, (my 1st long-term gf), and not only do we share in common that this is one of our favourite songs ever, it's about breaking up, and while my gf and I are breaking up because we won't be able to cope apart, this song seems to fit almost perfectly. It also has a bloody good guitar solo too, joint best with...

Free - All Right Now

This song is my favourite rock song of all time. It also has a guitar solo which makes me so high every time I play it, because it's simple yet liked by everyone. I also had the privilege of going to see Queen and Paul Rodgers earlier this year, and to hear this song played live by one of my favourite singers ever and one of the greatest guitarists ever, I could not have felt happier if I TRIED!!!

ReputationRep:
    The Smiths- 'This Charming Man' and 'Pretty Girls make gtaves'

ReputationRep:
    Boyd II Men - End of the Road. Everyone was singing it on Prom night and the last day of secondary school.

ReputationRep:
    Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb and Manic Street Preachers - 4st 7lbs have a lot of meaning for me, although quite depressing!

ReputationRep:
    Foo Fighters - Generator reminds me of when I was younger. Metallica - Enter Sandman reminds me of my time in secondary school and a lot of Interpol stuff has meaning for me recently.

ReputationRep:
    "This Year's Love" by David Gray has SO much meaning to me, and now I can't hear it without being taken right back to that time, which is rather depressing. After what I think was the very worst day of my life, when something really horrible happened on the bus on the way home from high school, I lay on my bed, curled up in a ball, shaking and listening to this song all night. I did nothing else; felt capable of nothing else, and cried myself to sleep in the early hours of the morning with this song on repeat. I think it's a brilliant, beautiful song, but I really can't listen to it closely now 'coz I want to put all that behind me. That's the danger with associating a song with a time in your life; the time will pass, but the song will be around forever, so if you don't want to be reminded of that time, don't listen to a song so much that you associate it with it!

ReputationRep:
    Metallica - Fade to Black.
    Once upon a time a little irish boy heard this song and picked up a guitar.
    9 years on he is the next Hendrix. Hell yeah.

ReputationRep:
    something corporate- konstantine, incredibly long, incredibly boring at first, but it is ****ing beautiful.

ReputationRep:
    Complicated by Good charlotte and i miss you by blink 182!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Run to the Hills - Iron Maiden. The song that introduced me to stuff heavier than The Beatles, pop music and whatever me Dad likes to listen to. Thank you Never Mind the Buzzcocks! Sorry if that seems a little irreverent compared with all the emotional things people have put but seriously, rock and metal are such a huge part of my life now and I attribute all of that to Iron Maiden.

ReputationRep:
    Death of a Clown by the Kinks, the first "old song" I ever liked. Oh and "I wanna dance with somebody" by Whitney reminds me of touring round Chichester aged 3 with my aunty and my mum in her mini cooper.

ReputationRep:
    Daddy - Jewel..pretty self explanatory if you hear the lyrics.
    Why- Annie Lennox..ditto.
    Goodbye my lover - James Blunt..helped me to get over certain people.

ReputationRep:
    The B52s album 'Good Stuff' never fails to cheer me up. Such a brilliant album with well written, quirky and funky songs.

ReputationRep:
    Hallelujah (Jeff Buckley version), Feels Like Home (Chantal Kreviazuk), and Drops Of Jupiter (Train)!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 26, 2005
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.