Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    I would just like to say this:

RESULT!!!!!!!!!!

i looked up http://www.ntfs.com to get some more info on ntfs drives, and they had a link to this nifty tool for recovering data (it even seeks out any filesystems and deleted partition tables and things like that). so now I know that my data is on the disk and hasn't been corrupted. all i now need is some way of saving all the important stuff on a new hard drive or CD/DVD-RW and reformatting the hard drive.
    Well done.

I hope it all works out.

ReputationRep:
    just a final update

i used DiskPatch to scan my HDD for any partitions. it found my NTFS bootsector, but it said it was corrupted. fortunately NTFS stores a backup of the bootsector at the end of the drive and i managed to just copy this last sector into the bootsector (after i had backed up all my *cough* files using the nifty tool - see post from a few days ago). I then used the windows Recovery Console to repair the boot sector and to repair the MBR, and plugged my HDD into the primary Master, and bingo, windows loaded and everything was there as it was last week. no losses or anything.

It's been emotional

/* Over and Out */

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    just a final update

i used DiskPatch to scan my HDD for any partitions. it found my NTFS bootsector, but it said it was corrupted. fortunately NTFS stores a backup of the bootsector at the end of the drive and i managed to just copy this last sector into the bootsector (after i had backed up all my *cough* files using the nifty tool - see post from a few days ago). I then used the windows Recovery Console to repair the boot sector and to repair the MBR, and plugged my HDD into the primary Master, and bingo, windows loaded and everything was there as it was last week. no losses or anything.

It's been emotional

/* Over and Out */
    Congrats, now I'm sure you'll go backup-crazy for a few months at least.

ReputationRep:
    Nice one elpaw. At least you people are quite clever with this sort of thing, otherwise you would just go buy a new PC...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rahaydenuk)
    Congrats, now I'm sure you'll go backup-crazy for a few months at least.
    yeah, ive already backed up all the important stuff like the MBR, MFT and bootsector *wipes brow*. if only i had done that before.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 7, 2004
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.