Rich
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by elpaw)
I would just like to say this:

RESULT!!!!!!!!!!

i looked up http://www.ntfs.com to get some more info on ntfs drives, and they had a link to this nifty tool for recovering data (it even seeks out any filesystems and deleted partition tables and things like that). so now I know that my data is on the disk and hasn't been corrupted. all i now need is some way of saving all the important stuff on a new hard drive or CD/DVD-RW and reformatting the hard drive.
Well done.

I hope it all works out.
elpaw
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
just a final update

i used DiskPatch to scan my HDD for any partitions. it found my NTFS bootsector, but it said it was corrupted. fortunately NTFS stores a backup of the bootsector at the end of the drive and i managed to just copy this last sector into the bootsector (after i had backed up all my *cough* files using the nifty tool - see post from a few days ago). I then used the windows Recovery Console to repair the boot sector and to repair the MBR, and plugged my HDD into the primary Master, and bingo, windows loaded and everything was there as it was last week. no losses or anything.

It's been emotional

/* Over and Out */
Rich
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by elpaw)
just a final update

i used DiskPatch to scan my HDD for any partitions. it found my NTFS bootsector, but it said it was corrupted. fortunately NTFS stores a backup of the bootsector at the end of the drive and i managed to just copy this last sector into the bootsector (after i had backed up all my *cough* files using the nifty tool - see post from a few days ago). I then used the windows Recovery Console to repair the boot sector and to repair the MBR, and plugged my HDD into the primary Master, and bingo, windows loaded and everything was there as it was last week. no losses or anything.

It's been emotional

/* Over and Out */
Congrats, now I'm sure you'll go backup-crazy for a few months at least.
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Nice one elpaw. At least you people are quite clever with this sort of thing, otherwise you would just go buy a new PC...
elpaw
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
(Original post by rahaydenuk)
Congrats, now I'm sure you'll go backup-crazy for a few months at least.
yeah, ive already backed up all the important stuff like the MBR, MFT and bootsector *wipes brow*. if only i had done that before.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (38)
8.07%
Confident (64)
13.59%
Indifferent (65)
13.8%
Unsure (117)
24.84%
Worried (187)
39.7%

Watched Threads