may be helpful
Reply 2
didgeridoo12uk
www.yini.org.uk

may be helpful

Thank you!
Refina
Thank you!

other than that and ringing round companies. its going to be quite hard to find somewhere, especially as he's 16. unless you have contacts in industry, i wouldn't hold up huge amounts of hope
Reply 4
Headstart
Reply 5
bluenoxid
Headstart

I second this one. Went on civil engineering one at birmingham last year and it was brilliant
Reply 6
Does he want experience in a design office or on site? Health and safety shouldn't apply so much in the office obviously... but the recommendations above are good.
Refina
Hi my friend wants to do civil engineering and is wondering where to do some work exp. he has tried calling up some companies but the say that cos he's 16 it would cause a problem with health and safety!

Hmm... they may be worried about child protection issues? Even if it isn't actually an issue, if they've never taken on a kid before they might have never even looked into it. Also you'd be surprised how much of an issue office H&S can be (they are terrified of being sued), though I do find it amusing that civil engineers have to worry about proper H&S issues on site then come back and still worry about a treacherous environment where paper cuts, eye strain, RSI and back injuries lurk round every corner, if you're to believe the training videos. So H&S is an issue in the office as well as on site, as far as they are concerned.

TBH I wouldn't be surprised if they just can't be bothered, but are too polite to say it. The construction industry has been hit particularly badly by the recession, and even though they won't actually be paying him he'll still cost them money as they're going to have to spend a lot of their own time looking after him for him to get much out of it. (Most of the knowledge that engineers apply on a daily basis is degree level or above, and quite a bit above someone who hasn't even studied for A-levels yet). Of course they could get him doing CAD, but then they have to find him a desk, a computer, an AutoCAD license... etc.

If he's been trying small companies, he might have better luck trying big ones or vice versa. He might also want to try his local authority as they often employ a few engineers to do projects involving roads / their own buildings - I did my yr10 work experience in the council electrical engineering office and they seemed pretty happy to take me on, perhaps they have more of a public-serving attitude.

Otherwise Headstart / similar things (does his school do Engineering Education Scheme) ftw!
Reply 8
thanks everyone for the help!!!

Latest