Turn on thread page Beta

Fee rise for International Student ?? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    For home student

Fee change will be : 1100 to 3300 ( i think)

So.. for international student

8000 to ..........

using simple maths 24000 ???

it's ridiculous . or not ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illumintai)
    For home student

Fee change will be : 1100 to 3300 ( i think)

So.. for international student

8000 to ..........

using simple maths 24000 ???

it's ridiculous . or not ?

I'm not actually sure that international students' fees will change... I'll look it up and see. But you guys pay loads towards your education already, I'm not sure that they're actually talking about raising your fees.

ReputationRep:
    It would bring you inline with US colleges at any rate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)
    It would bring you inline with US colleges at any rate.
    US universitites are about $29,000 for tuition....but the cost of living is alot cheaper.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matouwah)
    US universitites are about $29,000 for tuition....but the cost of living is alot cheaper.....
    US unis have a need blind policy, which means you only pay what you can afford.

It's different for International students in UK. Science courses are more expensive than art courses. Medical science is a lot, I mean A LOT, more expensive. approx. 17000 a year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Camford)

It's different for International students in UK. Science courses are more expensive than art courses. Medical science is a lot, I mean A LOT, more expensive. approx. 17000 a year.
    and should be too, cause it costs the government a lot to train a medic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Camford)

we have need based grants from the government......

PLUS....most state universitys only cost about 7000 a year if you are a RESIDENT of the state.....to go to an out of state its going to cost you about 13000 for tuition, not a bad deal really...... and the private universitys dont charge a non residents fee.

also most american universitys have need based grants that they give out, so you could end up with a university grant PLUS a government grant.......

ReputationRep:
    generally depends for diff subjects......
    but generally if it has to increase...it increass at the rate of 2-3 % due to inflation !!!

ReputationRep:
    I talked with the Durham admissions ppl and they said the fee rise would not affect me (international student).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadNatSci)
    I'm not actually sure that international students' fees will change... I'll look it up and see. But you guys pay loads towards your education already, I'm not sure that they're actually talking about raising your fees.
    I sure hope not, because the 17k-20k medical fees are already painful enough - especially for the integrated, PBL courses where you pay the clinical fee for five whole years. It's interesting though, how Cambridge is actually one of my cheapest unis (after UWCM/Cardiff).

ReputationRep:
    I don't know this for sure, but I'm pretty certain that there will be no top up fees for international students. Why the f**k should there be? The reason we're paying much higher fees anyway is coz our families don't pay taxes to the British government. UK and EU citizens/residents pay a fee of course and our the added bit foreigners have to pay is equivalent to what the UK/EU students pay in their taxes. The British gov't introduced top up fees for internal economic reasons to do with THEIR citizens/residents so I don't see why international students whouls be affected. If I'm wrong someone correct me instantly...

ReputationRep:
    Exactly. I had this discussion last night with some people on my corridor. I'm considered international, as is the guy from china, and everyone else isn't. We had 3 lawyers-to-be arguing it out while everyone else interjected with little comments. If you want good debates, make sure you're friends with prospective lawyers, it's great!

ReputationRep:
    International fees wont change above the normal yearly rise cos they pay the majourity of the cost alredy, maths will never rise that much but medics alredy pay on the way to £30000 a year

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.