Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Wonder whether anybody has an experience in changing an allocated college? For example you have accepted to read PPE at Magdalen and just before the term starts, you request for a change to Merton.

If this has been done before, what conditions are attached to the change?

ReputationRep:
    I would seriously doubt that this was possible.

Why do you want to change?

And to get in for PPE at Magdalen why the hell would you want to move?

ReputationRep:
    I have come across this question before...i think someone answered that it was possible..but not easy! As each college get's money for the student and may not want to loose this income...search the forum i am sure it was here that i saw it!

ReputationRep:
    It's definitely possible but you need a good excuse

ReputationRep:
    Look at http://www.ousu.org/main/campaigns/a...ndbook/college

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kew62811)
    Wonder whether anybody has an experience in changing an allocated college? For example you have accepted to read PPE at Magdalen and just before the term starts, you request for a change to Merton.

If this has been done before, what conditions are attached to the change?
    People changing colleges is rare and from what I can gather you need a particularly strong reason. I'd imagine switching colleges before you begin is close to impossible. Once again you would need a very powerful reason why and then you would need both sets of tutors and college authorities to agree. Unless they have an unexpected gap then you would be asking another college to make an additional place. What might be more possible (but still unlikely I'd guess) would be to move from one college but to be placed somewhere else where there is a 'vacancy' eg from someone not getting grades taking a gap year etc. So you would have little or no choice. But have never heard of anyone doing this.

ReputationRep:
    I think a good way of swapping Cambridge colleges is to say you really want to change courses during the tripos; but that your current college doesn't offer that course. Then you can miraculously change your mind when the reallocation is complete and go with whatever route you want to take rather than the one you fed them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scanner)
    People changing colleges is rare and from what I can gather you need a particularly strong reason. I'd imagine switching colleges before you begin is close to impossible. Once again you would need a very powerful reason why and then you would need both sets of tutors and college authorities to agree. Unless they have an unexpected gap then you would be asking another college to make an additional place. What might be more possible (but still unlikely I'd guess) would be to move from one college but to be placed somewhere else where there is a 'vacancy' eg from someone not getting grades taking a gap year etc. So you would have little or no choice. But have never heard of anyone doing this.
    Let us say that we change a bit of the variables.

Assume that you are coming to Oxbridge through a scholarship. The doner of the scholarship is actually a charitable foundation which has historical ties with a certain Oxbridge college (e.g. Merton). And this college is not the same as your allocated college (Magdalen).

Would this then not be possible for a switch? here I am suggesting that "politics" could intervene.

Anybody care to comment?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seer)
    I think a good way of swapping Cambridge colleges is to say you really want to change courses during the tripos; but that your current college doesn't offer that course. Then you can miraculously change your mind when the reallocation is complete and go with whatever route you want to take rather than the one you fed them.
    I'm not sure this would work as well in Cambridge, where most colleges offer most courses, much more so than Oxford colleges.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kew62811)
    Let us say that we change a bit of the variables.

Assume that you are coming to Oxbridge through a scholarship. The doner of the scholarship is actually a charitable foundation which has historical ties with a certain Oxbridge college (e.g. Merton). And this college is not the same as your allocated college (Magdalen).

Would this then not be possible for a switch? here I am suggesting that "politics" could intervene.

Anybody care to comment?
    What do you mean a scholarship? Historical ties are part of Oxford's past and I think you will find that the vast majority of tutors, students and administrators are now hostile to any links that might distort the admissions process. It may be there are some areas like music or theology where different rules apply but I'd still expect changing colleges to be a rarity and only with an extremly strong and valid reason.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.