How good is Heriot Watt for mathematics? Watch

alizaheer
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hello,

I am now really worrying what university to put down as my insurance, I have got all offfers, but for me personally I think that this unconditional I have for maths is really tempting me for it as god knows what might happen to my grades if i do something stupid

With this in mind, I really want to find out what is Heriot Watt uni like for freshers, has it a good atmosphere and good student union etc

Finally what is its reputation like for maths graduates from Heriot watt and job prospects for maths grads???

thanks
surfista
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I have put Heriot-Watt as FIRM for Actuarial Science. I have been there for a visit day and I would say that it is very nice place especially the city. Student union is a bit small, but I liked the atmosphere at the uni. There are lots of international student, what I personally really like about it. People I met there were nice. By what I have heard, the job prospects should be pretty good, for maths, finance and economics graduates. Heriot-Watt has long reputation for Actuarial Science and Mathematics. I think that there are many work job opportunities in Edinburgh.

I hope that helps, I dont know that much about it, but the University and the city appealed to me enough to put it as my FIRM.
CalumII
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Just completed 2nd year Actuarial Science. The campus is great, and the student mix is fantastic, both ethnic and gender wise, even in stereotypically male dominated courses. There is a very low proportion of basement-dwelling nerd types. If you're a serious clubber type, the campus is obviously a bit out the way, but you don't have to live there...

The maths tuition is good; of course I can't compare it to anywhere else, but it was more or less as expected, challenging but achievable. You can't skip lectures and cram for exams. If you've done A-level, you may want to consider skipping first year as you will find it a drag.

As for prospects, HW has a strong outward-facing focus, so your prospects out of here as a mathematician are as good as anywhere. The opportunities to move sideways into related courses (financial maths, say) are also good.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Edinburgh Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 8 Nov '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (153)
59.3%
No I haven't decided yet (60)
23.26%
Yes but I might change my mind (45)
17.44%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed