Turn on thread page Beta

Cambridge Pool watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    What will you do if you get pooled?
    I wouldn't mind accepting another college, but I don't think I want to do the whole interview thing again. I'm not even sure I could - getting there in the first place is hard enough, kindof expensive, and that's without the stress of the interview itself. I think if I have to do another interview I'll probably just say no and go with one of the offers I've had.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lurker)
    I think if I have to do another interview I'll probably just say no and go with one of the offers I've had.
    Fair enough and a perfectly acceptable choice.

My brother got pooled and he literally did nothing (got rejected in the end mind). There isn't much you can do - if you prepared for your previous interviews, your preparation should pretty much be fresh in your mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucy)
    Fair enough and a perfectly acceptable choice.

My brother got pooled and he literally did nothing (got rejected in the end mind). There isn't much you can do - if you prepared for your previous interviews, your preparation should pretty much be fresh in your mind.
    Well, it's not really the preparation, since I'd have a better idea what to expect second time round anyway - it's just the whole thing. The first one was scary enough, and I'm not sure it'd be worth it. Something like only 1 in 5 pooled applications end up with a place anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lurker)
    Well, it's not really the preparation, since I'd have a better idea what to expect second time round anyway - it's just the whole thing. The first one was scary enough, and I'm not sure it'd be worth it. Something like only 1 in 5 pooled applications end up with a place anyway.
    I think getting picked out from the pool (to be asked for interview) is the hardest thing just because so many applicants are placed in the pool so other colleges may not even get round to seeing your application. Once you get asked for a 'pool' interview, I think your chances are pretty good (all of the people I know who have been interviewed from the pool - not that many admittedly - have went on to achieve a place).

according to the prospectus about 1 in 5 people get pooled (I'm assuming this is of total applicants, but I'm not sure if it's of people not rejected... it's not very clear) and of those yes around 1 in 5 are eventually made offers.

i can see what you mean about not wanting to go to the extra effort, but if you look at what effort youve already put in, it might be worth it;if youre a strong candidate (or think you are ) then a 1 in 5 chance overall isn't bad.

just make sure whatever decision you make you wont regret it later - at least if you do go through the pool and are rejected you know theres nothing else you could ahave done, whereas if you decline it, you might think later "i wish I'd at least had a go.."

that said if youve applied for natsci decline decline decline - i need all the help I can get

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.