D&D Theology's "Ask About Hinduism" Thread

Watch
SolInvictus
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Well cor blimey, the Sikh thread has boomed off to a great start, encouraging me to attempt this thread. Ask and ye shall learn.
USingh
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Thanks for starting it
Is there a concept of a God similar to that in other religions? Like I know hindus believe in multiple god's but is there one unseen one above all? I've heard that some hindu's choose one god as the greatest, but then others chose another one, sorry if I'm wrong, could please explain?
thanks
Suave
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by USingh)
Thanks for starting it
Is there a concept of a God similar to that in other religions? Like I know hindus believe in multiple god's but is there one unseen one above all? I've heard that some hindu's choose one god as the greatest, but then others chose another one, sorry if I'm wrong, could please explain?
thanks
There is only one God in Hinduism but you can worship It using various forms. Some people use Vishnu, some Shiva etc, which ever Ishta Devata it's called pleases you.
USingh
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
oh I see. So is there any thing which is considered the main, original form, or like God as a formless being?
SolInvictus
Rep:
?
Thanks for starting it
thanks
Hinduism believes in one God, present in all things seen and unseen, known and unknown. God, however, is completely outside our perceptions, and to even get a basic understanding of divinity, scholars have had to resort to negative theology (ie saying what God is not, because we really can't say what God is)

However, the vedas teach the worship of the singular as many, lest imbalance find its way into our devotion. For example, many monotheists masculinise their deities. We here a whole lot about almighty fathers, kings and lords.... yet never about mothers, queens and ladies. This is why, therefore, a system of polytheistic worship is maintained to give balance and richness to a monotheistic theology.

The Orthodox schools of thought teach that no worshipped form of God is greater than another. However, once again I have to rehash my idea that Hinduism is a complete misnomer. Its like the word Paganism, which covered everything from dancing drunk in an orgy to worship Bacchus to Neo-Platonism and Gnosticism. Similiarly, Hinduism consists of a rather conservative Vedic/Vedantic religion, which was always limited to the elites, and several pagan religions followed by most people, which varied with ethnicity, geography and even class. Compounded with Heterodox tendencies in the subcontinent, it is therefore not difficult to see how a clan or village deity becomes associated with a Vedic figure, and develops a following proclaiming it to be 'the figure of Godhead.'

However, I make my opinions from a rather priestly conservative view, and many Hindus will follow a rather different form of worship.
NathanL
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Oh man you gotta put an apostrophe in 'Religions'. Please, please, please - don't make me slit my wrists because i'm so abnormally anal! ^o)
Downesey
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Whats the hindu take on white bfs? Cus my gf is hindu and after almost 15 months her parents still dont know. Shes convinced they will force us apart and her family will hate her if they find out, but i couldnt imagine parents/family being able to do this to a relative because of a bf. She is very close to and loves alot of her family and i cnt imagine them just throwing that away because shes goin out with a white guy. Its not like iv changed her atall, over the last year shes still as close to her family. Has anyone gone through this and how did your/your gf/bf parents react?
Suave
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
oh I see. So is there any thing which is considered the main, original form, or like God as a formless being?
It's referred to as Brahman and it is neither formless nor with form, it is said to be beyond all dualities. It is perfect etc etc and also impersonal.
Suave
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Downesey)
Whats the hindu take on white bfs? Cus my gf is hindu and after almost 15 months her parents still dont know. Shes convinced they will force us apart and her family will hate her if they find out, but i couldnt imagine parents/family being able to do this to a relative because of a bf. She is very close to and loves alot of her family and i cnt imagine them just throwing that away because shes goin out with a white guy. Its not like iv changed her atall, over the last year shes still as close to her family. Has anyone gone through this and how did your/your gf/bf parents react?
All to do with culture and tradition my friend.
prospectivEEconomist
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
how many hindu gods are there?
Rei
Badges: 13
?
Report 13 years ago
When did Hinduism start..?
Suave
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by prospectivEEconomist)
how many hindu gods are there?
One but a potentially infinite number of forms to view it as.
Downesey
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Suave)
All to do with culture and tradition my friend.

Well her uncle has just got married to a white woman, and her family accepted this, nd thinking this would open a door for us, she asked her parents and they still said no, because apparantly a bf would **** up her school work (however over the year shes done exceptionally well)

I just cnt see how you cnt see what makes your children happy nd accept it, rather than forcing them to make choices based on what would make their parents happy
prospectivEEconomist
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
are shah's one of the lowest caste and members of the hindu society?
Suave
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Lol, not sure about that. However, caste system isn't a Hindu system.
Joanna May
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
they still said no, because apparantly a bf would **** up her school work (however over the year shes done exceptionally well)
Well then it's not a hinduism issue is it? A lot of parents have rules like this.
Suave
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Well her uncle has just got married to a white woman, and her family accepted this, nd thinking this would open a door for us, she asked her parents and they still said no, because apparantly a bf would **** up her school work (however over the year shes done exceptionally well)

I just cnt see how you cnt see what makes your children happy nd accept it, rather than forcing them to make choices based on what would make their parents happy
Everyone's different and parents have their own personal expectations of their children.
SolInvictus
Rep:
?
Whats the hindu take on white bfs?
Very varied. Let us not forget that Northwest Indian had a massive Greek presence, and many converted to Hinduism.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heliodorus_pillar

Cus my gf is hindu and after almost 15 months her parents still dont know. Shes convinced they will force us apart and her family will hate her if they find out, but i couldnt imagine parents/family being able to do this to a relative because of a bf. She is very close to and loves alot of her family and i cnt imagine them just throwing that away because shes goin out with a white guy. Its not like iv changed her atall, over the last year shes still as close to her family. Has anyone gone through this and how did your/your gf/bf parents react?
There is no reason in Hinduism why the union should be forbidden, unless she is of Priestly blood, in which case she must marry someone of a priestly bloodline in order to maintain the traditions of the priesthood like the Kohenim in Judaism.

Her family may have stupid ideas in their head, but you need to show yourself as someone understanding and open to her heritage. The major fear many Hindu parents have is that the faith and traditions of the religion will not be passed on to the next generation.
SolInvictus
Rep:
?

Well then, that really isn't religion, is it.
SolInvictus
Rep:
?
I don't know. But Patels keep telling me that Shahs are Kunjoos (tight fisted misers)

However, from my perspective, they're all tight fisted cheapos who can't live without a bargain.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (152)
55.07%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (38)
13.77%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (31)
11.23%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (26)
9.42%
I haven't started researching yet (16)
5.8%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (13)
4.71%

Watched Threads