The Student Room Group

D&D Theology's "Ask About Hinduism" Thread

Scroll to see replies

Are there any sort of messianic prophecies in the Hindu religion(s?) á la judeo-christian tradition?
Reply 101
Yes. The tenth avatar of Vishnu known as Kalki will come riding on a white horse to end kalyug.
Reply 102
QED
How and why did Ravana attain moksha, I don't fully understand that.

Did he? Where does it say that?
Reply 103
QED
Yes. The tenth avatar of Vishnu known as Kalki will come riding on a white horse to end kalyug.

However not all subscribe to this because it is comes from the Puranas which are heavily symbolic.
Reply 104
http://in.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071106065439AAiGBJ2

Found this in the end. I'm not sure exactly where it was said, but I'm sure I'd heard it before.
Reply 105
QED
http://in.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071106065439AAiGBJ2

Found this in the end. I'm not sure exactly where it was said, but I'm sure I'd heard it before.

Not convinced to be honest. Only one person said that he did and without any references. The question being posed is whether Ravana could have become enlightened if he had surrended himself to God, which is of course true.
Reply 106
Amit92
Well my Sikh friends class theseleves has Hindus :s-smilie:. because they follow the same Dharma as Hindus which is the Sanātana Dharma. So its more like Sikhism is a branch off Hinduism in a way!

Also Sikhs were the protectors off Hindus when India was under attack! In Punjab each family would have 3 sons, One that became Sikh, who went out and fought for the Sanātana Dharma, one a Hindu, who learnt the scriptures and kept the Hindu faith alive! and one who would farm to keep the Sikh son who went out and fought fit and strong when they came back after war!

Also the Sikh Gurus were Hindu or Muslim before they went off and became a Guru and followed Sikhism!

What religion are you anyway? You don't like the RSS/HSS do you LOL?

Think you'll find that isn't quite true. We have things in common, then we do with Islam too (some muslims say we're muslims etc just like you hindus)

Lets discuss this in the Sikh thread if required.
The Kalki figure riding on a white horse towards the end of times which is illustrated by the Hindu scriptures seems to me very similar to the ''Rider of the White Horse'' in the Bible, Revelations 19:11.
Reply 108
Charzhino
The Kalki figure riding on a white horse towards the end of times which is illustrated by the Hindu scriptures seems to me very similar to the ''Rider of the White Horse'' in the Bible, Revelations 19:11.

I don't know anything about the Rider of the White Horse, but Kalki doesn't appear at the "end of times", but at the end of a period of time called the Kaliyug. There is another period after Kaliyug but I forget the name.
Ye that age is called the Golden Era, but the description about the rider of the white horse carrying a sword and wiping out evil in the book of revalations has a very similar ressemblance to the character of Kalki.
Also I read somewhere today that it is believed that 2012 is the end of the current era, and theres alot of hype around that date as the end of the Mayan Calander.
Reply 110
Ok, this is just to clear up. Dr. Zakir Naik often cites these in his talks.

1. According to Bhavishya Purana in the Prati Sarag Parv III Khand 3 Adhay 3 Shloka 5 to 8.

"A malecha (belonging to a foreign country and speaking a foreign language) spiritual teacher will appear with his companions. His name will be Mohammad. Raja (Bhoj) after giving this Maha Dev Arab (of angelic disposition) a bath in the Panchgavya and the Ganga water (i.e. purifying him of all sins) offered him the present of his sincere devotion and showing him all reverence said, "I make obeisance to thee. O ye! The pride of mankind, the dweller in Arabia, Ye have collected a great force to kill the Devil and you yourself have been protected from the malecha opponents."

and

According to Bhavishya Purana in the Pratisarag Parv III Khand 3 Adhay 3 Shloka 10 to 27 Maharishi Vyas has prophesised:

"The Malecha have spoiled the well-known land of the Arabs. Arya Dharma is not to be found in the country. Before also there appeared a misguided fiend whom I had killed; he has now again appeared being sent by a powerful enemy. To show these enemies the right path and to give them guidance, the well-known Muhammad (peace be upon him), is busy in bringing the Pishachas to the right path. O Raja, You need not go to the land of the foolish Pishachas, you will be purified through my kindness even where you are. At night, he of the angelic disposition, the shrewd man, in the guise of Pishacha said to Raja Bhoj, "O Raja! Your Arya Dharma has been made to prevail over all religions, but according to the commandments of Ishwar Parmatma, I shall enforce the strong creed of the meat eaters. My followers will be men circumcised, without a tail (on his head), keeping beard, creating a revolution announcing the Aadhaan (the Muslim call for prayer) and will be eating all lawful things. He will eat all sorts of animals except swine. They will not seek purification from the holy shrubs, but will be purified through warfare. On account of their fighting the irreligious nations, they will be known as Musalmaans. I shall be the originator of this religion of the meat-eating nations."

Are these honest/true/Ancient/Scirptural quotes ?

I am asking because he has a habit of .... well sort of making things up.
Reply 111
Hashmi
Ok, this is just to clear up. Dr. Zakir Naik often cites these in his talks.

1. According to Bhavishya Purana in the Prati Sarag Parv III Khand 3 Adhay 3 Shloka 5 to 8.

and

According to Bhavishya Purana in the Pratisarag Parv III Khand 3 Adhay 3 Shloka 10 to 27 Maharishi Vyas has prophesised:

Are these honest/true/Ancient/Scirptural quotes ?

I am asking because he has a habit of .... well sort of making things up.

Ah, "Dr" Zakir Naik, my favourite standup comedian. Well the Bhavishya Purana is heavily scrutinised for being a doctored text and many of those who have studied it state that a lot has been added to the text up to and beyond the era of Muhammad. Also, remember the Bhavishya Purana is just that, a Purana, not part of the Vedas. It isn't from God and it isn't divinely inspired. If Naik wants to take what you have posted as being true, then it means he has to accept all of the Puranas and he has to believe in Krishna, Shiva etc and that Jesus went to India to learn Hinduism I could go on and on...

There's a small dismissal of his arguments here , I suggest you read it.
Reply 112
Amit92
Well my Sikh friends class theseleves has Hindus :s-smilie:. because they follow the same Dharma as Hindus which is the Sanātana Dharma. So its more like Sikhism is a branch off Hinduism in a way!

Also Sikhs were the protectors off Hindus when India was under attack! In Punjab each family would have 3 sons, One that became Sikh, who went out and fought for the Sanātana Dharma, one a Hindu, who learnt the scriptures and kept the Hindu faith alive! and one who would farm to keep the Sikh son who went out and fought fit and strong when they came back after war!

Also the Sikh Gurus were Hindu or Muslim before they went off and became a Guru and followed Sikhism!

What religion are you anyway? You don't like the RSS/HSS do you LOL?

No...just no
I bet you have only ever heard this from hindu's right? Not any Sikh leaders, scriptures or anything.. Think about it :rolleyes:
There are a lot of white hindu's. Just go to the temple and you can ask the pandit any question you want.
Mr. Arnold
How hard is it for a standard white guy to convert to Hinduism?

Not very. People have been doing it from 300 BC. David Frawley is perhaps the best investigator of Post-Vedic thought, although I disagree with his ideas on the Vedas themselves.

I've always been very interested and I keep on asking people about it, but I always feel like there would just be far too much information to take on board to ever get into it.

Asking the right people is always important.

If I went to my local temple, who would I want to speak to (the equivalent of a vicar) and do you think he/she would take me seriously?

Of course, but the priest at a temple is most likely to be the western equivalent of a cantor or lector. He reads the liturgy, and may not be best equipped to help you with any deep theological questions.

Are temples open all day and when would be the best time to get the attention of someone who knows what they are talking about? Thanks!

Temples can be good, but unfortunately temples can be very community centred. They can be a bit unwelcoming to people from outside the 'group.'

For a good perspective start by reading Vivekananda and Ramakrishna. They are simple, easy and great on getting a basic idea of true Hinduism.
Reply 115
Mr. Arnold
Hmm... Sounds good. Thanks!

Just pop down to the Hare Krishna in Aldenham and have a look, you can ask about anything there.
QED
Just pop down to the Hare Krishna in Aldenham and have a look, you can ask about anything there.

Going to a Hare Krishna to learn about Hinduism is a bit like going to a Mormon, Jehova's Witness or Unitarian to learn about Christianity.
Reply 117
SolInvictus
Going to a Hare Krishna to learn about Hinduism is a bit like going to a Mormon, Jehova's Witness or Unitarian to learn about Christianity.

Sorry what?! You mean Krishna isn't the only God and any other deity is only a demigod who's worship is only condemning the Supreme Personality of Godhead! Shame on you....
Reply 118
1 / Can a Shudar become a priest in the mandir?

2 / Do all the 360 millions dieties have names? if so is there a list?
Reply 119
CHAMON
1 / Can a Shudar become a priest in the mandir?

Seeing as priests are sudras most of the time it shouldn't be a problem. Also, are you asking about the caste, or the varna system?

2 / Do all the 360 millions dieties have names? if so is there a list?

I'm not aware of 1 million, let alone 360 million. Where did you get that figure from?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending