Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have no idea how much the Law freshers week package is this year, it varies year on year. It sounds good though, will be my last one!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UCL_Law)
    I have no idea how much the Law freshers week package is this year, it varies year on year. It sounds good though, will be my last one!
    Its 99 pound for the package, and then Trocadero and the Duck Ride are extra [9.95 and 14.00]. The package includes t-shirt, Law Soc membership, France, Paintballing and other events

I'm so excited!

Did you get the Cohen article before you came up UCL_Law? How will it be discussed/used? What should I do to understand it more? [Any obvious points for discussion etc]

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    HEy...Medicine for me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomcoolinguk)
    Did you get the Cohen article before you came up UCL_Law? How will it be discussed/used? What should I do to understand it more? [Any obvious points for discussion etc]

Cheers
    Yeah we had the Cohen article for Property, and yes I'd def advise reading it. Well, we had Alison Clarke but she's not back until Dec, so I'm not sure how other lecturers use it, but she was asking people why they thought they owned their bodies etc! Always be prepared to talk in Property! It was a while back, I don't remember it too well! Property is notoriously difficult to understand, I'd wait until you're there, flick through a few books in the library and see which you like, because I don't think they actually told us to get a text, it was all done by handouts.

ReputationRep:
    If it's any consolation. I just had a skim through it once and I think I'll be revisiting it a few times with a dictionary.

ReputationRep:
    Ive read through it once (broken into about 5 train journeys to work of reading).
    I got my Fresher's pack today and there's even MORE reading! :rofl:

Has anyone bought the books yet (the ones that we were asked to buy in the letter with the Cohen article)? How fat are they (in pages rather than millimetres :rolleyes: )?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phonicsdude)
    Ive read through it once (broken into about 5 train journeys to work of reading).
    I got my Fresher's pack today and there's even MORE reading! :rofl:

Has anyone bought the books yet (the ones that we were asked to buy in the letter with the Cohen article)? How fat are they (in pages rather than millimetres :rolleyes: )?
    I've not got the Law Machine yet [and I'm reluctant to do so having got Learning the Law, Understanding the Law, English Legal System and Introduction to Law], but the textbook is just over 800 pages. Don't stress though- we're not meant to read it all! [It actually covers the second year course Public Law II as well!].

Am I a complete loser or are Lord Denning's judgements loads better than the other judges!?

ReputationRep:
    Good old Lord Denning ... you either love him or you hate him

I've just finished the Law Machine... literally... I'm on the last page right now. It's 204 pages, average-sized text pretty easy to read. It shouldn't take you long.

And it's very different to learning the law, I think! :| Learning the law is specifically aimed at law students whereas the Law Machine can be read by anyone who wants an insight into our legal system.

I just got the big text book... it's actually not as bad as I'd expected

ReputationRep:
    What other reading did they give you with the freshers pack?!

And you'll come to enjoy Denning's judgments a lot, they break up what can otherwise be some very tedious reading!

ReputationRep:
    Well they only made us et 2 books... the other 10,000 were all recommended as horizontal reading ranging from Lord Denning's autobiography to the recollections of Thomas Aquinas...

ReputationRep:
    Oh horizontal reading! haha! Ignore!

ReputationRep:
    Oh horizontal reading! haha! Ignore!
    Really? See this is why I PMed you :p: You know what I should really do

ReputationRep:
    You should ignore me, I got away with the bare minimum in my first year and my grades showed it!

ReputationRep:
    You should ignore me, I got away with the bare minimum in my first year and my grades showed it!
    Ah. But you passed right?

ReputationRep:
    Roughly how many people get 2.i's in their first year? I really want to get one!

Oh- and I just found out I'm in James Lighthill

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomcoolinguk)
    Roughly how many people get 2.i's in their first year? I really want to get one!

Oh- and I just found out I'm in James Lighthill
    Did you phone up the Accommodation office or did you get it via the post?

ReputationRep:
    I did indeed pass, I'm still there right!

As for how many people get 2.1's in their first year, I really couldn't say! People aren't all that forthcoming with their results!

ReputationRep:
    ye im in for economics!!!

ReputationRep:
    i'm definately in. got my results last year! anyone else in john dodgson house? or is anyone doing archaeology?

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.