Turn on thread page Beta

ambitions...does anybody have them? watch

ReputationRep:
    Odd thread subject perhaps, but a lot of things I have heard on this site and elsewhere have got me thinking about this.

I am 18, going to university next year either PPE at Oxford or economics elsewhere. At my Oxford interview there was one chap who wanted to be a political journalist, another wanting to work in the Foreign Office... -that was the reason they wanted (felt they needed, even) an Oxbridge degree.

I myself have absolutely no ambitions of this sort whatsoever. That's not to say I am content to be a failure in life, but don't have a clue where I want to be in five years time, or what profession to enter...and at this stage, not even sure if I care.

What's the feeling on this forum? Do most people entering university have an idea of careers, or maybe some idea of which field to enter?

cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nero076)
    Odd thread subject perhaps, but a lot of things I have heard on this site and elsewhere have got me thinking about this.

I am 18, going to university next year either PPE at Oxford or economics elsewhere. At my Oxford interview there was one chap who wanted to be a political journalist, another wanting to work in the Foreign Office... -that was the reason they wanted (felt they needed, even) an Oxbridge degree.

I myself have absolutely no ambitions of this sort whatsoever. That's not to say I am content to be a failure in life, but don't have a clue where I want to be in five years time, or what profession to enter...and at this stage, not even sure if I care.

What's the feeling on this forum? Do most people entering university have an idea of careers, or maybe some idea of which field to enter?

cheers
    i would like to be a lawyer

ReputationRep:
    I have no specific plans, just a general direction.

ReputationRep:
    I have many but I never feel comfortable discussing them in case of failure I think. Its a feeling that I just cant discuss what is close to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by curryADD)
    i would like to be a lawyer
    and go to university of san diego.....where sand sun, fun and law rock everybodies boat.......

ReputationRep:

cheers
    For some people its quite obvious, e.g. medicine, law, vetinary science, etc. However for others it varies, some choose the degree because they enjoy the subject, e.g. English, Maths, History, Geography, careers these days allow a lot of scope for the many varied degrees available.

ReputationRep:

cheers
    I just want to make perhaps $80,000 per year. I'm sick and tired of being poor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhaal85)
    For some people its quite obvious, e.g. medicine, law, vetinary science, etc. However for others it varies, some choose the degree because they enjoy the subject, e.g. English, Maths, History, Geography, careers these days allow a lot of scope for the many varied degrees available.
    could you change your sig back to almighty schwimmer.....or perhaps americana....

go check the buddy ignore thread please.........

ReputationRep:
    My ambitions are a bit over the top and odd. I want to own a bus company bigger than stagecoach and also run a good multimedia development company. Oh and of course run a HIFI company.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    Dont you think just earning money is like not having an ambition? Just having money is no achievement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhaal85)
    Yes I suppose this is true, economics probably does fit the latter category. Still though I don't imagine I'll have a greater clue in 3 years time...I know people like this, stuck in jobs they hate.

(Original post by Sire)
    That's greed rather than an ambition.

ReputationRep:
    My ambition is to prove everyone wrong, especially a particular smart-ass who thinks i'm going to fail, because he thinks i have little drive.

ReputationRep:
    My ambitions involve doing things nobody has ever done before. Whats the point in doing something otherwise?

ReputationRep:
    I want to be a doctor, I'm not exactly sure how to define why - caring, scientific, powerful. Right now I don't care where I study, although Brighton & Sussex Med School would be good. But before all that, my ambition is to just do the best I can in my AS levels, and work hard - you can't expect to do well without the hard work.

And to prove everyone wrong.

Jo xx

ReputationRep:
    I want to achieve 10 Gcses above grade C
    Go to collage n get good alevel grades
    Go to the west end n go into professional shows for example Cats and chicago
    Travel the world
    In later life go into teachin Y6 pupils.
    RETIRE!!

Tribi18

sound good??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JuniperBlue)
    I want to be a doctor, I'm not exactly sure how to define why - caring, scientific, powerful. Right now I don't care where I study, although Brighton & Sussex Med School would be good. But before all that, my ambition is to just do the best I can in my AS levels, and work hard - you can't expect to do well without the hard work.

And to prove everyone wrong.

Jo xx
    Thats my feeling as well. Being a cardiologist more specifically.

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully living in Orlando/Florida with a nice american style house you know the wooden ones, and having a well paid job

ReputationRep:
    i don't think that it's crucial that you know what you
    want to do as a career. I've known since i was little that
    i wanted to be a teacher. Hopefully one day i will be.
    Some people have the instinct or a passion for a certain
    career - other people need to try a lot of different jobs
    to find the right one.
    Just follow your dreams

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michael Beaver)
    Dont you think just earning money is like not having an ambition? Just having money is no achievement.
    i agree, money is by no means an ambition. to succeed in something is an ambition but to just have money is not, you needed to specify what you meant so as not to amke it look like all you want is money, whe i know that you sire want more in life than that.

ReputationRep:
    for me i'm not sure on my ambitions i guess all i really want is to be happy. i think i'd like to end up after uni,doing something backdstage for the ballet (conrny u think, shut up then), i'm doing theatre studies in uni so i want to get into that, and just enjoy my life with my sweet husband simon by my side, thats when he proposes of course.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 1, 2004
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.