ambitions...does anybody have them? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Sire
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Michael Beaver)
Dont you think just earning money is like not having an ambition? Just having money is no achievement.
and also to whoever said that my ambition was just 'greed'...

My ambition in life is a little more clearly explained as this. Getting the qualifications required in order to get the job that pays me $80,000 per annum. To find that job that fulfills me, keeps me going etc, and most of all allows me to live comfortably. My parents could never afford that much for me, and if I want to work my arse off to live slightly better than your average joe blow. Then good on me, and **** the rest of ya basically. It isn't as though anything was handed to me on a silver platter. Got it?
DevilsDoor
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Ambitions are great to have in life, providing you dont base your all on them and leave no room for change or what ifs. Having a contingency plan is always a good idea.

My ambitions have altered now I want to see my children grow up, reach their full potential, whilst enjoying my life, happy, with peace of mind and if I succeed with my psychology then hopefully a counsellor in the not so distant future, but its not my be all and end all. My health means more than wealth as wealth doesnt have to come by monetary means, wealth is a state of mind.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Career wise I wouldn't mind being a teacher but the idea of having to teach people who don't want to learn puts me right off. I'd like to be a careers adviser but have no relevent experience to get in in a training role (and have no free time to get some and can't afford the paycut of training full time). However I do enjoy my current job and would be happy to carry on with it and see where it leads.

Money wise I'd like to pay off my mortgage and possibly be able to afford to do all my food shopping at M&S or Waitrose . I'd also like to pay the £2000 my parents gave me when buying a house (+ the money they gave me to support me throgh uni)...I haven't told them about this so it will be nice to one day surprise them with either a nice big cheque or a paid for holiday to somewhere they've always wanted to go. I'd also like to be earning enough money to allow hubby to go part time/retire early should his health demand it.

Social wise I'd like to have a big party/wedding and spoil my entire extended family to a weeks holiday in the process (along with free childcare (for all the kids including the autistic ones)).

Personal wise I'd like to adopt a child (probably a disabled one considering all our experiences) and raise it to be happy. I'd like to continue being happy and loving and loved. I'm likely to outlive hubby though - so I hope I'll be strong enough to cope and recover and continue my life. I'd also like to start baking again.
JuniperBlue
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by 2776)
Thats my feeling as well. Being a cardiologist more specifically.
Ah, for me I think I'd like to be in emergency medicine, then when I get older, become a GP or a lecturer

Jo xx
pedy1986
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by nero076)
Odd thread subject perhaps, but a lot of things I have heard on this site and elsewhere have got me thinking about this.

I am 18, going to university next year either PPE at Oxford or economics elsewhere. At my Oxford interview there was one chap who wanted to be a political journalist, another wanting to work in the Foreign Office... -that was the reason they wanted (felt they needed, even) an Oxbridge degree.

I myself have absolutely no ambitions of this sort whatsoever. That's not to say I am content to be a failure in life, but don't have a clue where I want to be in five years time, or what profession to enter...and at this stage, not even sure if I care.

What's the feeling on this forum? Do most people entering university have an idea of careers, or maybe some idea of which field to enter?

cheers
Cabinet Minister or published poet
Harry Potter
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Sire)
and also to whoever said that my ambition was just 'greed'...

My ambition in life is a little more clearly explained as this. Getting the qualifications required in order to get the job that pays me $80,000 per annum. To find that job that fulfills me, keeps me going etc, and most of all allows me to live comfortably. My parents could never afford that much for me, and if I want to work my arse off to live slightly better than your average joe blow. Then good on me, and **** the rest of ya basically. It isn't as though anything was handed to me on a silver platter. Got it?
Maybe they thought you meant £80 000, which is very high.
material breach
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
not to be run over by a bus tomorrow
Linda
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I don't have any career plans... I just want to study for the rest of my life (oki, maybe teach as well).
curryADD
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Linda)
I don't have any career plans... I just want to study for the rest of my life (oki, maybe teach as well).
thats crazy. i want to work in a top notch law firm, and some day become the attorny general
Linda
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by curryADD)
thats crazy. i want to work in a top notch law firm, and some day become the attorny general
Why is it crazy?
CrzySxyCool
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
i want to be an actress more than anything on this earth.
curryADD
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Linda)
Why is it crazy?
because, studing is like a edath sentence for the soul, you have to do it 24/7 for the first 18 years of your life......why do it for the rest? *shakes head* i would die, become suffocated by the knowledge, i wouldnt be able to get up in the morning.....day after day. research *sighs* but if thats what you want then
aliel
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I mean no offence..but,..it seems that series like 'Ally McBeal' have caused a worrying amount of people to now aspire to becoming 'lawyers'. Without really knowing of the dullness that many a solictor/barrister (there's strictly no such applicable term as a 'lawyer' in uk) experience everyday in their jobs...Everyone i seem to speak to these days cite their aspiring profession to be in Law.. :rolleyes:
Linda
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
because, studing is like a edath sentence for the soul, you have to do it 24/7 for the first 18 years of your life......why do it for the rest? *shakes head* i would die, become suffocated by the knowledge, i wouldnt be able to get up in the morning.....day after day. research *sighs* but if thats what you want then
I thrive on knowledge...
curryADD
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by aliel)
I mean no offence..but,..it seems that series like 'Ally McBeal' have caused a worrying amount of people to now aspire to becoming 'lawyers'. Without really knowing of the dullness that many a solictor/barrister (there's strictly no such applicable term as a 'lawyer' in uk) experience everyday in their jobs...Everyone i seem to speak to these days cite their aspiring profession to be in Law.. :rolleyes:
i want to be a lawyer to defend innocent people from being prosecuted unfairly.....and i have never seen ally mcbeal....
curryADD
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Linda)
I thrive on knowledge...
i die much happier with ignorance.......

jk.

just seems like to me, school without friends would suck
material breach
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
why wouldnt she have friends? do u know her?
CrzySxyCool
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
i die much happier with ignorance.......

jk.

just seems like to me, school without friends would suck
i could never go to school if i didnt have friends there. Would be to boring.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices? (November update)

Yes I know where I'm applying (166)
70.94%
No I haven't decided yet (40)
17.09%
Yes but I might change my mind (28)
11.97%

Watched Threads