(Original post by Bhaal85)
    I cant see.
    LOL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhaal85)
    I cant see.
    niether can i, im practically blind w/o my contacts

ReputationRep:
    What is the difference between an optometrist and an optician then? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dazmanultra)
    What is the difference between an optometrist and an optician then? :confused:
    Its the same thing really, an optometrist is a person that checks your vision and the health of your eye. An opticians is usually refered to as Specsavers or Vision express. But on the whole, there both mean the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SIMZZ)
    Its the same thing really, an optometrist is a person that checks your vision and the health of your eye. An opticians is usually refered to as Specsavers or Vision express. But on the whole, there both mean the same.
    Righto then, but how did they go from the word 'optometry' to 'obstetrics'???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    Righto then, but how did they go from the word 'optometry' to 'obstetrics'???
    NOWTHEN, IVE GOT NO IDEA ABOUT THAT!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SIMZZ)
    NOWTHEN, IVE GOT NO IDEA ABOUT THAT!!
    No probs, was just curious about how medical terms move along the scale

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    No probs, was just curious about how medical terms move along the scale
    LOL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SIMZZ)
    LOL
    hehe, I triez

ReputationRep:
    One of my friends is doing optometry at Cardiff, do you have any specific questions I might forward to her?

She doesn't seem to enjoy it much at the moment, a lot of A-level-like stuff, i.e. Physics, Biology and Chemistry and boring practicals... that's what she told me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B00kwOrm)
    One of my friends is doing optometry at Cardiff, do you have any specific questions I might forward to her?

She doesn't seem to enjoy it much at the moment, a lot of A-level-like stuff, i.e. Physics, Biology and Chemistry and boring practicals... that's what she told me.
    Can you just ask her what cardiff is like, for student life, by the way what A-level grades did she get.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SIMZZ)
    Can you just ask her what cardiff is like, for student life, by the way what A-level grades did she get.
    Will do. But I really can't tell when I will get a reply, she's usually very slow in answering. And I doubt that I can get her to join the forum.

No idea about the grades, I'll ask. I reckon she got at least ABB. Yeah, I think that was it, I remember they gave a her low offer.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Will do. But I really can't tell when I will get a reply, she's usually very slow in answering. And I doubt that I can get her to join the forum.

No idea about the grades, I'll ask. I reckon she got at least ABB. Yeah, I think that was it, I remember they gave a her low offer.

Good luck!
    Cheers, im retaking a year, because i didnt get the grades first time round. But the thing is that, cardiff rejected me in the first year and accepted me this year, which is really weird. most of my Unis are asking for AAb which is what you sort of need for medicine or dentistry, but i think ill get lower grades oh well. Thanks anywayxxxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SIMZZ)
    Cheers, im retaking a year, because i didnt get the grades first time round. But the thing is that, cardiff rejected me in the first year and accepted me this year, which is really weird. most of my Unis are asking for AAb which is what you sort of need for medicine or dentistry, but i think ill get lower grades oh well. Thanks anywayxxxx
    I'll pm when I get a reply, but again, it may take very long.

ReputationRep:
    I'll pm when I get a reply, but again, it may take very long.
    no problemsxx Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SIMZZ)
    no problemsxx Thanks
    I think you have a lucky day, SIMZZ, here's the reply for my friend: (I quote her):

"You have to organise your time well since we dont spend all our time in classes and we have to work on our own a lot more. In our first year in optometry we have about 17 hours a week which include lectures, clinics and practicals. In clinics we learn to use the instruments like the ophthalmoscope and retinoscope etc, the practicals involve optic pracs and anatomy and physiology pracs. We have 6 modules to study in the first year and we take exams for all of them at the end of the year. The subjects i took at A level were math, chemistry and biology, the grade i got were ABB. The course lasts 3 years and in the 4th year we do a pre-registation year, at the end of the 4th year there is an exam to take, if we pass this exams then we can practice on our own."

Hope that's all the information you wanted. All the best and happy new year!!!

ReputationRep:
    I think you have a lucky day, SIMZZ, here's the reply for my friend: (I quote her):

"You have to organise your time well since we dont spend all our time in classes and we have to work on our own a lot more. In our first year in optometry we have about 17 hours a week which include lectures, clinics and practicals. In clinics we learn to use the instruments like the ophthalmoscope and retinoscope etc, the practicals involve optic pracs and anatomy and physiology pracs. We have 6 modules to study in the first year and we take exams for all of them at the end of the year. The subjects i took at A level were math, chemistry and biology, the grade i got were ABB. The course lasts 3 years and in the 4th year we do a pre-registation year, at the end of the 4th year there is an exam to take, if we pass this exams then we can practice on our own."

Hope that's all the information you wanted. All the best and happy new year!!!
    Thats mate i really appreciate it.xxxxxxx

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 31, 2003
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.