The Student Room Group

Ib Musical Investigation Help!

I'm not sure of what to compare and the rough draft is due sometimes soon! please help! my first idea was to compare balinese gamelan with european court music from medieval times, but i really can't find any similarities! please help! maybe you could help me find something i can compare to pop punk music? but really i would appreciate ANY two songs i can compare for my IB musical investigation, thx!
Reply 1
no one to help me with this one? any suggestion guys! i still have no clue on what to compare :frown:
carveysando
no one to help me with this one? any suggestion guys! i still have no clue on what to compare :frown:

I don't know, but Thingeh might:

Thingeh
Hey, can you help?
Reply 3
ragnar_jonsson
I don't know, but Thingeh might:

Hehe. Would've been here sooner had my internet not went to hell.

carveysando
I'm not sure of what to compare and the rough draft is due sometimes soon! please help! my first idea was to compare balinese gamelan with european court music from medieval times, but i really can't find any similarities! please help! maybe you could help me find something i can compare to pop punk music? but really i would appreciate ANY two songs i can compare for my IB musical investigation, thx!

Hello. Your first idea might have potential; do you have two examples of this? You can focus on how they're different throughout the investigation, though a "link" is necessary.

Your second idea however might be the wiser choice (in my opinion, that is); I personally compared a Baroque operatic aria (BLURGH!) by Purcell with a modern day pop song by Taylor Swift (BLURGH!) and got a 7 in the musical investigation. They're both from different musical cultures even though they're from the same geographical location; one is modern day pop music, the other was seventeenth century fine arts music.

Suggestions: compare your example of "21st/20th century electronic pop/punk music" with something like a Schubert song for voice and piano accompaniment (this would be a "ninteenth century fine arts song" by the way) or maybe an operatic aria by Mozart.

Whatever you decide to do though, the first piece of advise I feel obliged to give is that you emphasise how they're from two different cultures. Also, for the format of your investigation; I suggest a powerpoint or an article. Finally, get yourself a copy of the mark scheme, and get those little boxes ticked*!

If you need any further help/advise, feel free to quote me!

*Seriously, you don't want to produce a painstakingly brilliant investigation to then lose marks for the ridiculous stuff.
Thingeh

Hello. Your first idea might have potential; do you have two examples of this? You can focus on how they're different throughout the investigation, though a "link" is necessary.

Your second idea however might be the wiser choice (in my opinion, that is); I personally compared a Baroque operatic aria (BLURGH!) by Purcell with a modern day pop song by Taylor Swift (BLURGH!) and got a 7 in the musical investigation. They're both from different musical cultures even though they're from the same geographical location; one is modern day pop music, the other was seventeenth century fine arts music.

Suggestions: compare your example of "21st/20th century electronic pop/punk music" with something like a Schubert song for voice and piano accompaniment (this would be a "ninteenth century fine arts song" by the way) or maybe an operatic aria by Mozart.

Whatever you decide to do though, the first piece of advise I feel obliged to give is that you emphasise how they're from two different cultures. Also, for the format of your investigation; I suggest a powerpoint or an article. Finally, get yourself a copy of the mark scheme, and get those little boxes ticked*!

*Seriously, you don't want to produce a painstakingly brilliant investigation to then lose marks for the ridiculous stuff.

:smile: Congrats on the 7 in the investigation! :smile:
Reply 5
ragnar_jonsson
:smile: Congrats on the 7 in the investigation! :smile:

Ah thanks my love. I got 7 in everything in music apart from performance, annoyingly xd.

How's after-IB life going?
Thingeh
Ah thanks my love. I got 7 in everything in music apart from performance, annoyingly xd.

How's after-IB life going?

Oh wow! (aww, so close to a 7 then?) :frown:

I'm good, just working (as we speak :ninja: ), moving in two weeks, saying goodbye to so many people, packing, etc. etc.

hectic next 2 weeks for sure.
Reply 7
ragnar_jonsson
Oh wow! (aww, so close to a 7 then?) :frown:

I'm good, just working (as we speak :ninja: ), moving in two weeks, saying goodbye to so many people, packing, etc. etc.

hectic next 2 weeks for sure.

Yep. In fact I'm close (in biology and maths, a single %) to a 7 in three subjects (and a 6 in another), yet no one at my ex-school (and our IBC has left to teach elsewhere) so I haven't been able to get remarks done, which bugged me for quite awhile but past caring now.

Hehe, hard at work eh? xd. What is your job? Theoretically, that is xd.

Ah, I can imagine indeed. Goodluck with the busyness and st0f.
Thingeh
Yep. In fact I'm close (in biology and maths, a single %) to a 7 in three subjects (and a 6 in another), yet no one at my ex-school (and our IBC has left to teach elsewhere) so I haven't been able to get remarks done, which bugged me for quite awhile but past caring now.

Hehe, hard at work eh? xd. What is your job? Theoretically, that is xd.

Ah, I can imagine indeed. Goodluck with the busyness and st0f.

I'm working in a marketing division for a newspaper.

Wow! :frown: That sucks!
Reply 9
Thingeh

finally someone answered! yay! hahaha, well thx very much for your help, i'll take this into consideration. if i may ask, what was your link between the baroque and taylor swift song? perhaps you could send me a copy of your investigation? i won't plagarise don't worry, i just haven't seen an example of a 7 musical investigation :tongue:

another idea i have is to link balinese gamelan music with northern philipines tribe 'kalingga' music as i beleive they both use interlocking rhytms in their music pieces, but traditional tribe music are just really hard to find a copy of!
Reply 10
carveysando
finally someone answered! yay! hahaha, well thx very much for your help, i'll take this into consideration. if i may ask, what was your link between the baroque and taylor swift song? perhaps you could send me a copy of your investigation? i won't plagarise don't worry, i just haven't seen an example of a 7 musical investigation :tongue:

At the moment I can't due to it being on a different computer, maybe at another point though. My link was structural; that a principal section of thematic material (a refrain/chorus) recurs inbetween contrasting sections.

another idea i have is to link balinese gamelan music with northern philipines tribe 'kalingga' music as i beleive they both use interlocking rhytms in their music pieces, but traditional tribe music are just really hard to find a copy of!

This is the problem: choose something you can get copies off and make a link between.

Meow.

Latest

Trending

Trending