Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I received my Northumbria Uni welcome pack and it is trying very hard to sell me a £50 'freshers pass', without which I can't attend the daytime activities like paintballing and city tours....Is it worth buying? I'm completely broke at the moment, no money!!

The only fresher's activities that really appeal to me are the club nights etc that are open to the general public and that I go to all the time anyway! Plus I don't need stuff like city tours, trips to the beach, as I'm local and know my way around. But I think I need the pass to go to the freshers ball which I suppose I would like to attend. Any tips/ideas?

ReputationRep:
    ^^Same as above, the Pete Andre and Girls Aloud didnt really seem appealing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarah1987)
    I received my Northumbria Uni welcome pack and it is trying very hard to sell me a £50 'freshers pass', without which I can't attend the daytime activities like paintballing and city tours....Is it worth buying? I'm completely broke at the moment, no money!!

The only fresher's activities that really appeal to me are the club nights etc that are open to the general public and that I go to all the time anyway! Plus I don't need stuff like city tours, trips to the beach, as I'm local and know my way around. But I think I need the pass to go to the freshers ball which I suppose I would like to attend. Any tips/ideas?
    Maybe find out if you can just buy a ticket to the freshers ball on its own?
    The student union might be helpful if you get in touch with them.

ReputationRep:
    They said there was only 2,000 for 7,000 first years, so i doubt the other 5,000 are going to be miserable. I dunno whether to get one though

ReputationRep:
    I remember being sent something like this when I started uni. We had the option to buy the pass which would get us into all the events. I decided not to buy it (because I was skint) and when I got there there was only one girl I knew who did buy it and didnt end going to any except the freshers ball. We were able to buy the tickets for the ball even if we didnt get the pass. I would just wait until you get there and see what your course mates or flatmates are doing. Otherwise it could be a waste of £50

ReputationRep:
    Thats crazy, my freshers pass was free! Then we paid seperately to get into our ball. Im sure you could just buy it there if you found alot of people had one.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm...I don't know! I suppose the 5000 other students will have to make their own fun (which sounds much better than cheesy dance music and going paintballing) so I think I'll join them. But, even though I wouldn't enjoy Peter Andre (at the last ball), I probably would go to the ball. However the info I was sent does not make it clear if you can buy tickets seperately. Agh! I'll try and find out if the ball is for everyone.

Can't wait til I get to uni as you have to get the pass before 12th September :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarah1987)
    Hmm...I don't know! I suppose the 5000 other students will have to make their own fun (which sounds much better than cheesy dance music and going paintballing) so I think I'll join them. But, even though I wouldn't enjoy Peter Andre (at the last ball), I probably would go to the ball. However the info I was sent does not make it clear if you can buy tickets seperately. Agh! I'll try and find out if the ball is for everyone.

Can't wait til I get to uni as you have to get the pass before 12th September :rolleyes:
    Why font you email your student union president, or the person in charge of freshers! Theyre usually honest and can tell you if its worth getting now! look on your unis student union website
    AND omg ul LOVE freshers

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.