Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Stumbled upon this article. lol.

A MAN who was arrested by police for being drunk in charge of a motorised scooter escaped a driving ban yesterday because magistrates accepted his claim that it was a toy, not a motor vehicle.
    Ben Stringer, 18, borrowed the toy, a motorised version of a child’s scooter usually pushed by foot, from a friend. He wanted to travel 50 yards to a chip shop. Police pulled him over and asked him whether he had a licence and insurance for the 20cc scooter, which has a top speed of 10mph.

He was charged with driving with excess alcohol after being found to have 81mg of alcohol in 100ml of blood. The legal limit is 80mg. He was also charged with riding the motorised scooter without a licence or insurance.

Mike Edwards, for the prosecution, said: “The defendant was swaying to and fro. There was a clear risk that someone could have been injured.”

Mr Stringer admitted drink-driving and riding the scooter without a driving licence and insurance. His lawyer, Colin Jongman, said the scooters were seen as “playthings” and were often sold in toy shops. He said: “When we were boys we had scooters we pushed with our feet. Then someone had the idea of putting a 20cc engine on the back.”

The magistrates at Bridgend, South Wales, gave Mr Stringer a conditional discharge. Lyndon Griffiths, the chairman of the bench, said: “We are satisfied the vehicle is classed by many as a toy, not a motor vehicle.” There was no need to ban him from driving, they said. Instead he will have six points on his licence, when he gets one, and was ordered to pay costs of £35.

A South Wales Police spokesman said: “It has been firmly established that these machines have been defined as motor vehicles and, as such, come under the 1998 Road Traffic Act.”

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhaal85)
    Stumbled upon this article. lol.

A MAN who was arrested by police for being drunk in charge of a motorised scooter escaped a driving ban yesterday because magistrates accepted his claim that it was a toy, not a motor vehicle.
    Ben Stringer, 18, borrowed the toy, a motorised version of a child’s scooter usually pushed by foot, from a friend. He wanted to travel 50 yards to a chip shop. Police pulled him over and asked him whether he had a licence and insurance for the 20cc scooter, which has a top speed of 10mph.

He was charged with driving with excess alcohol after being found to have 81mg of alcohol in 100ml of blood. The legal limit is 80mg. He was also charged with riding the motorised scooter without a licence or insurance.

Mike Edwards, for the prosecution, said: “The defendant was swaying to and fro. There was a clear risk that someone could have been injured.”

Mr Stringer admitted drink-driving and riding the scooter without a driving licence and insurance. His lawyer, Colin Jongman, said the scooters were seen as “playthings” and were often sold in toy shops. He said: “When we were boys we had scooters we pushed with our feet. Then someone had the idea of putting a 20cc engine on the back.”

The magistrates at Bridgend, South Wales, gave Mr Stringer a conditional discharge. Lyndon Griffiths, the chairman of the bench, said: “We are satisfied the vehicle is classed by many as a toy, not a motor vehicle.” There was no need to ban him from driving, they said. Instead he will have six points on his licence, when he gets one, and was ordered to pay costs of £35.

A South Wales Police spokesman said: “It has been firmly established that these machines have been defined as motor vehicles and, as such, come under the 1998 Road Traffic Act.”
    i didnt think it was funny at all....

however a shenandoah cop arrested a bike rider for going two miles above a 15mph speed limit :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by curryADD)
    i didnt think it was funny at all....

however a shenandoah cop arrested a bike rider for going two miles above a 15mph speed limit :rolleyes:
    Agreed- not too funny...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dracos_Goddess)
    Agreed- not too funny...
    and i was expecting a laugh.......i was so dissapointed!

ReputationRep:
    and i was expecting a laugh.......i was so dissapointed!
    I was dissapointed because I wasted time from my miserable life to read that and didn't get the laugh....*sighs* after all that...grr

ReputationRep:
    I was dissapointed because I wasted time from my miserable life to read that and didn't get the laugh....*sighs* after all that...grr
    i feel the pain sista!

ReputationRep:
    i feel the pain sista!
    LoL I have no good reply to that so this message can be considered SPAM.....:eek:

ReputationRep:
    Oh well, I'm whole heartedly dorry that it did not make you laugh. It made me laugh, cause it was probably some skally who did it.

ReputationRep:
    Oh well, I'm whole heartedly dorry that it did not make you laugh. It made me laugh, cause it was probably some skally who did it.
    again....dorry?

skally?

english are funni...... but alas *wipes forehead dramatically* im a continent to far away, and an accent short* :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    again....dorry?

skally?

english are funni...... but alas *wipes forehead dramatically* im a continent to far away, and an accent short* :rolleyes:
    Heh, I think he/she/it (sorry don't know the gender..) meant "sorry" not "dorry"...as for "skally"- no idea.

*raises hand* I have the accent! Proud of it too..well I don't have it, but I can speak w/ it if I want to..

ReputationRep:
    I found it funny.

I can't believe how stupid our laws are. Fancy treating a toy as a motor vehicle. The policeman who arrested this man should be arrested himself and charged with "wasting police time".

ReputationRep:
    Heh, I think he/she/it (sorry don't know the gender..) meant "sorry" not "dorry"...as for "skally"- no idea.

*raises hand* I have the accent! Proud of it too..well I don't have it, but I can speak w/ it if I want to..
    lol....i have the accent you hear in american movies 100% pure californian honey!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_musical_guy)
    I found it funny.

I can't believe how stupid our laws are. Fancy treating a toy as a motor vehicle. The policeman who arrested this man should be arrested himself and charged with "wasting police time".
    I mean, its funny the mentality of police these days. Where they just sitting on their arses in a parked car, and spotted the 'assailant', and just thought they would arrest him, lol.

ReputationRep:
    lol....i have the accent you hear in american movies 100% pure californian honey!
    I don't think I have an accent- depends on what you would say is an "American accent" cuz it's only on some words...I don't know how to explain.

ReputationRep:
    I mean, its funny the mentality of police these days. Where they just sitting on their arses in a parked car, and spotted the 'assailant', and just thought they would arrest him, lol.
    It's kind of funny like that, but it didn't make me laugh..but that's just me..and curryADD.

ReputationRep:
    hehe, I think that's funny, it must be an English thing curryADD

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, or maybe it's just male humour. Men and women are supposed to have completely different sense of humours.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_musical_guy)
    Yeah, or maybe it's just male humour. Men and women are supposed to have completely different sense of humours.
    male= perverted humor
    woman= funny humor

ReputationRep:
    C'mon, that was bloody hilarious. Though on a similar note of police trying too hard. There is this true story of a bloke in Queensland Australia who was arrested outside a pub on his way home. The charge, intent to drive a vehicle whilst under the influence. He was pretty damn drunk, and did have his car keys on him at the time, yet it was only when the case went to court that he was finally let off owing to the fact that the car was in his wifes possession some 400km away at the time. Hooray for coppers, they can't catch a cold 9/10 times, and when they do its only a sneeze.

ReputationRep:
    It's not exactly something to laugh out loud to, only slightly amusing.

It's still stupid though, a toy scooter!

Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.