The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
the workload is not as bad as everyone thinks, so long as you don't do homework. Which I didn't, to be honest. I'm on A2 level History now.
Reply 2
MJlover
the workload is not as bad as everyone thinks, so long as you don't do homework. Which I didn't, to be honest. I'm on A2 level History now.

You mean do the homework right? Thanks for the advice.:smile:
I'm still in my AS year but I thought I'd contribute anyway. Your achievement shows you can cope.

The material/content is easy to get the hang of like it always is.

I suppose what people find most difficult are the essays. They require immense detail and wide knowledge. It's a big step up from GCSE but once you do a few practice essays, you begin to realise what the happy medium is in terms of detailed answers..

I find it very easy simply because I explain and analyse my points naturally.. it's not something I have to think about. Anyway this is a hurdle which can easily be overcome! :smile:

So far I've had B's in my practice essays without revision and I'm hoping with revision this will easily step up to an A.

In terms of workload, so long as you work from the very beginning, you'll be fine. Make sure that when you get home you've understood what you did in class that day and have all the necessary notes on the topic discussed.. I often find we don't manage to get everything down and by the next lesson we've already moved on!

Take it, it's amazing. :ahee: :love:
I really had to work at it, because the syllabus we took was so dry. Basically all revolutionary Russia for two years!

I found the AS a struggle, and had to resit a couple of papers; but overall I came out with an A with 100% in four out of six papers.

I got an A at GCSE, and I struggled initially. I would say you really need to work at developing your essay technique in order to "step up" to the right level. It takes time.
Reply 5
Marshmellow.
I'm still in my AS year but I thought I'd contribute anyway. Your achievement shows you can cope.

I suppose what people find most difficult are the essays. They require immense detail and wide knowledge. It's a big step up from GCSE but once you do a few practice essays, you begin to realise what the happy medium is in terms of detailed answers..

I find it very easy simply because I explain and analyse my points naturally.. it's not something I have to think about. Anyway this is a hurdle which can easily be overcome! :smile:

So far I've had B's in my practice essays without revision and I'm hoping with revision this will easily step up to an A.

Take it, it's amazing. :love:

Thank you. That clears up a lot.:smile:
Vampire90210
:biggrin:

I would recommend taking it. Unis love History A-Level :smile:. I'm currently in my A2 year of OCR History and I'm really enjoying it. I didn't take it for GCSE, though, which I regret.

For AS, I got 89% in the British History exam and 100% in the American History exam.
Reply 7
Choccielatte
I really had to work at it, because the syllabus we took was so dry. Basically all revolutionary Russia for two years!

I found the AS a struggle, and had to resit a couple of papers; but overall I came out with an A with 100% in four out of six papers.

I got an A at GCSE, and I struggled initially. I would say you really need to work at developing your essay technique in order to "step up" to the right level. It takes time.

Yes. It appears that the technique required is the major hurdle to overcome. Thanks.:smile:
Reply 8
Vampire90210
You mean do the homework right? Thanks for the advice.:smile:

I didn't do it!!! Did me well, son.
Reply 9
I don't find it that difficult. In terms of workload, depending on your teacher you will probably get set quite a lot of essays (although it shouldn't be any worse than any other essay-based subject like English Lit or whatever) and for the exams, a lot of knowledge, and therefore revision, is needed. I got A* at GCSE and an A at AS, haven't sat my A2 exam yet :smile:

Oh, and check which course you're doing, as some are more interesting than others. At AS I did Russian History (Tsarist to Stalinist) and 19th century British History. I found the former fascinating, the latter boring as, so if all of my modules had been about the British Empire or something I'd have hated it.
Reply 10
hayyleyy
It's alright, takes up quite a lot of revision time though. But if you organise your time through the year and keep reading over things so that there isn't this big scary mass of facts and dates waiting for you in june, it's fine. I didn't think it was that different to GCSE tbh. I got a few marks off an A in the end.

Thanks.:smile:
I found the workload easy enough. Only one bit of coursework each year, and a few exams in each June. Not too bad. It depends on your exam board though, mine was Edexcel.
Reply 12
The workload is only slightly more than some other subjects. Well worth being able to say you take History A level imo :smile:
Reply 13
.PaperDoll.
I would recommend taking it. Unis love History A-Level :smile:. I'm currently in my A2 year of OCR History and I'm really enjoying it. I didn't take it fot GCSE, though, which I regret.

For AS, I got 89% in the British History exam and 100% in the American History exam.

Ha ha, yes:biggrin: Congrats on your brillant result!:smile:
Reply 14
xmarilynx
I don't find it that difficult. In terms of workload, depending on your teacher you will probably get set quite a lot of essays (although it shouldn't be any worse than any other essay-based subject like English Lit or whatever) and for the exams, a lot of knowledge, and therefore revision, is needed. I got A* at GCSE and an A at AS, haven't sat my A2 exam yet :smile:

Oh, and check which course you're doing, as some are more interesting than others. At AS I did Russian History (Tsarist to Stalinist) and 19th century British History. I found the former fascinating, the latter boring as, so if all of my modules had been about the British Empire or something I'd have hated it.

Thanks:smile: Well, my board is CIE. Units are probably the Russian revolution, the Cold War and Hitler's Germany(according to current students at my school).
Reply 15
James4d
The workload is only slightly more than some other subjects. Well worth being able to say you take History A level imo :smile:

Thank you.:smile: I'll take your word on that.:smile:
Some people say it's loads of work. It isn't at my school, they can't be arsed. I got 97% in both AS exams and 94% in my A2 coursework.
It was the most boring subject I have ever taken. I loved GCSE history but A-Level history was nothing but agriculture, all we learnt was about agriculture.

I ended up with a U because it so was mind numbingly boring my mind refused to remember anything. That was 7/8 years ago now though :P
Reply 18
By the way, I also have Economics, Psychology , Sociology and General Studies( compulsory) Do you think it's manageable?
Marshmellow.

In terms of workload, so long as you work from the very beginning, you'll be fine. Make sure that when you get home you've understood what you did in class that day and have all the necessary notes on the topic discussed.. I often find we don't manage to get everything down and by the next lesson we've already moved on!

Take it, it's amazing. :ahee: :love:

Thanks, I know this isn't my thread or anything but this is really useful as I've been thinking the same thing! Also I'm taking Biology & Chemistry with History & English literature next year - which everybody at my school thought was weird. (I hope to study Biological Sciences)

Latest