Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've always preferred Biology to Physics/Chemistry in school, and while I didn't get straight As at GCSE (two Cs at Double Award) I'm interested in looking at Human Biology as an A Level course.

I'm looking at a few websites and it does look manageable, but I was wondering if anyone can give me a first hand opinion on it. What's it like? How did you do in your exams?

ReputationRep:
    To be honest it is quite hard, but i really enjoyed it! i didnt get straight A's at GCSE science either and managed to get a B in Human biology A-level - found out today !! The syllabus i did (edexcel) involved some plant biology and ecology. We had to learn about Human evolution and population growth, as well as the more biological stuff like kidneys, circulatory system, nervous system etc.

ReputationRep:
    So if you enjoy it, it helps (to state the obvious lol)? I always seemed to enjoy that side of things rather than the mathematical-looking Physics and to a certain extent Chemistry at GCSE. I think HB would be good to have in terms of university - I'm hoping to go into Occupational Therapy and work with the NHS.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    yeh, personally i cant get on with subjects i dont enjoy :rolleyes: . It would probably be best to do Human Bio for a course like Occupational therapy - im going to do Pharmacy and was told doing human bio would be beneficial for that. but i would assume human biology is actually harder than straight biology - as the percentage getting higher grades in human biology is lower, however there might be another explanation for this :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Biology, that's more general, yeah? More plants and environment?

I might go and look at some books at a local bookstore - not buy them but just have a swift peek. Revision websites only offer so much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lostinfantasies)
    Biology, that's more general, yeah? More plants and environment?
    Yes, for example in biology if you were learning about homeostasis - you would learn about temperature control etc in mammals as well as humans and go into less detail about humans. Also in normal biology you would learn in detail about photosynthesis. In my human bio course we also did the environmental stuff but we did human impact on the environment rather than animals in the environment.

ReputationRep:
    I think I'd prefer the HB to the normal Biology course then :/. I'll have a flick through a few books and s few practice exams, and see what it's all like .

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing Human Biology and if you enjoy it and get into it its very interesting. It is hard work though and i made the mistake of leaving a lot of it until the last minute. I still got high Bs on my exams though but there was a big mix up at our school with coursework and i only got like a D on that which brought me down to a C overall.

ReputationRep:
    Had my first lesson today.

I LOVE IT!

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 5, 2005

University open days

• Southampton Solent University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Sun, 18 Nov '18
  • University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.