Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    After just watching channel 5 news, how can anyone say A-levels arnt easy. An A grade student got a U in the 1970's a level exam.

ReputationRep:
    How do you know that?

ReputationRep:
    It said it on the news, they did a test with 32 student they all got U's.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but its hardly a fair test. Far too many flaws, it proves nothing.

ReputationRep:
    How can you measure? The teaching methods are different. The technology is different. The important aspects are different. These comparisons in which student take an older paper mean naff all due to the above facts!

ReputationRep:
    An A student educated in the 1970s would probably fail to gain the same marks nowadays as well. Factors have changed over the years, including teaching methods, revision practises, technological and teacher training advancement and the syllabuses themselves.

ReputationRep:
    well duh it's a different syllabus

ReputationRep:
    That's ridiculous....everyone from the 70's would have failed our exam...plus CH5 is the equavilent of the Sun in terms of programmes and news....

Britain's worst toilets....sigh

ReputationRep:
    OK maths has changed that much in 30 odd years. Forget about the fact that most of it was created thousands of years ago. And lastly yes things have changed but surely not by that much (apart from they have got a lot easier).

ReputationRep:
    How do you know what's on the 2005 and 1970s sylabusses. Maths is a subject where if you haven't been taught something and understand it, then it's very hard to pull something from the air in the heat of an exam to get the correct answers.

ReputationRep:
    You do understand what a syallbus is, right?

ReputationRep:
    An A student educated in the 1970s would probably fail to gain the same marks nowadays as well. Factors have changed (you can say that again) over the years, including teaching methods (they do it with a smile), revision practises (you use the internet instead), technological (the calculator does even more for you) and teacher training advancement (they dont need to bother) and the syllabuses themselves. (no need to be able to add and take away calculators can do it gor you).

ReputationRep:
    If it was me, I'd much prefer to have a calculator than have to look up trig tables.

ReputationRep:
    The students in the exam said it was the style of the exam not the method that threw them. P.S. no i've never heard of a syllabus do you eat it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1w)
    well duh it's a different syllabus
    yea ditto, I thought that would be obvious :|
    I can just imagine what we have next
    'A grade History 05, = U in 70' -- "20 History A level students attempted to sit a 1970's Physics paper, and they all got U's, this shows beyond shadow of a doubt that A levels are easier, and young kids now possess no intelligence or work ethic"

Not happened yet, but that about how reasonable the press are being, sensationalism is getting in the way of fairness, and makes those of us who just got our results after putting loads of effort into our subjects, feel really bad

ReputationRep:
    I really do hate the way journalists purport this nonsense, until they have sat both a 1970 and 2005 A2 paper in equal conditions they have no right to assume that, simply because figures are pointing in that direction, the exams are getting easier. All of this nonsense simply serves to further alienate those who haven't done so well, deceiving them into believing that they truly are thick which is most likely not the case, and also rains down on the parades of those who have achieved some outstanding passes by implying that it was a 'sit-off' all the way through. Anybody who has taken these A levels understands that in order to achieve high grades hard work and constant effort need to have been applied for two years - anybody who says different is either a genius or a liar.

ReputationRep:
    The difficulty of a Maths A Level has decreased so much over the past few years, as my Maths teacher likes to remind our class... all the time.

I have a paper from 1986 and I cannot do that paper at all, yet I can get 100% on an exam now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TomX)
    The difficulty of a Maths A Level has decreased so much over the past few years, as my Maths teacher likes to remind our class... all the time.

I have a paper from 1986 and I cannot do that paper at all, yet I can get 100% on an exam now?
    I think thats down to fewer topics being covered. Maths doesnt attract as many students as it used to so they've had to cut down on the topics. The topics you DO cover, aren't any easier really. This does mean its easier to get an A, but those talented at maths are now judged by their further maths grades too.

ReputationRep:
    All i can say is kindly **** off, go and piss on someone elses fire.

ReputationRep:
    teach them the same syllabus for 2 yrs and make them sit the exam and then thats a fair test. Otherwise come on its just scare mongering.

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.