Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have this friend in my year who was a compulsive liar, she made up what she did every weekend and a whole group of non existant friends. I knew she was lying because she always contradicted herself. She even said when she was 14 that she got engaged to her boyfriend, Spike, (who she described just like spike out of Buffy) who then went to fight in Iraq. His parents apparently then got a letter telling them he had died and she pretended to be really upset and everything but then she said that spike had come home and they all had a big party and that Spikes Mom and Dad had played a trick on her saying he had died! What kind of sick parents would do that? There was a whole bunch of other stuff to like pretending to be 6months pregnant when she had a totally flat stomach!

Me and my other mate thought it was time to put a stop to it cos we were fed up so we confronted her about it. she got really upset and although she didn't cry infront of us aparently she went to 3 other people really upset and crying her eyes out? Although she completely denied lying about anything to us.

I was just wondering if it was the right thing to do because some people say it was really harsh. She dosen't hang around with us anymore.

(Sorry about it being so long) :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I used to have a friend who lied all the time, from stupid things such as going out with someone in our class (who had no idea!) to bigger things like being pregnant, needing an operation, her gcse grades...I think people like these are just aiming to get attention. I'm not friends with her anymore, as she moved away, but if I was I'd explain that sometimes people exaggerate or make things up for attention, but 'you know, you don't need to, cos you're interesting enough anyway, and I like you, you're my friend...' something like that might work. If on the other hand you don't feel you can ever trust her again, it might just be a 'friendship' not worth fighting for, if that makes sense?!

ReputationRep:
    Isn't there a disease like that? Sth in the head? Maybe she doesn't mean to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by * gemchicken *)
    I used to have a friend who lied all the time, from stupid things such as going out with someone in our class (who had no idea!) to bigger things like being pregnant, needing an operation, her gcse grades...I think people like these are just aiming to get attention. I'm not friends with her anymore, as she moved away, but if I was I'd explain that sometimes people exaggerate or make things up for attention, but 'you know, you don't need to, cos you're interesting enough anyway, and I like you, you're my friend...' something like that might work. If on the other hand you don't feel you can ever trust her again, it might just be a 'friendship' not worth fighting for, if that makes sense?!
    Well we weren't nasty to her when we told and we did say we still wanted to be friends and told her she just didn't need to lie to feel like she fits in because none of us are that interesting anyway. But i guess she just couldn't face the fact that we knew that most of what she said were lies so she stopped hanging around with us. I dont think she would be able to stop lying anyway because she has been doing it for too long.

ReputationRep:
    I have no respect for compulsive liars, although in this case the girl you're talking about may be a histrionic.

ReputationRep:
    I've experienced a similar situation with 3 different people over the years. When I was in primary school, a relatively unpopular but very nice girl decided she wanted to make friends, and thought lying would be the best way. It started off with things like her parents had divorced, and then she said her dad died. Then one day, it was break and she sat all the girls in our class down in a circle and told us all she had brain cancer, and we all believed her. When it came out she'd been lying everyone hated her at first but we forgave her because it was obvious why she had done it, and we figured maybe if we had just made a bit more time for her in the first place, she wouldn't have felt the need to lie. Anyway, after primary school she moved away so she could get a fresh start, which I think was probably for the best. The second person is a girl I became friends with in secondary school. We've never been best friends, but we have some lessons together and we get on well. Anyway, she just felt the need to lie about everything, and everyone knew she was lying, but it was quite funny because of the lengths she was going to to convince us. Every week she had a different medical problem, whether it was diabetes or endometriosis(sp)! She even tried to convince us she had appendicitis, when two years before she'd told us all she had her appendix removed!
    The third girl is someone I've been friends with since primary school, but we got closer in secondary school. Anyway, she's constantly lying, and it does my and my friends' heads in. It's ridiculous because she lies about the stupidest things, that we don't even care about, like when someone says "Did you watch the simpsons last night?" And she'll automatically say yes, but then when we start talking about it, she starts saying "Oh, I missed that bit". She also had a teacher convinced that she had serious problems at home and that was why she she never did any work, when we knew fine well things weren't as bad as she was making out. Sorry about the lengthiness, just needed a bit of a rant!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i know how you feel, it does get frustrating doesn't it. I just think it is really weird how many people feel they need to lie to impress, get sympathy or fit in. I had another friend called Jackie who lied about her Dad having cancer. And once she made up that her older sister had a baby called Shannon i was only little then and i told my mom when it was Shannons 1st birthday because she knew my friend s mom. She went and spoke to her mom asking her how Shannon was and she didn't know what my mom was going on about! But they both must have figured that jackie had been lying!
    When she was 15 she also told me she was going out with this lad we both knew which is the most stupid thing she could ever do because i spoke to him every week so i was bound to find out it was a lie. He got really freaked out by her and has ignored her ever since!

(its difficult not to write a lot when you talk about peoples lies because you could write a book on all the different lies they tell lol! :p: )

i'm sorry lollie,i have a friend like that.when my friends and i confronted her,she cried and told us she couldn't understand why we wouldn't believe her and that she thought we were her friends and made a whole big fuss.

i'm still not sure whether she's lying about the issuei think she is,she's terribly insecure

ReputationRep:
    It makes you feel soooooooo bad when they start crying though doesn't it? Well i ended up having an argument with this other girl in my year when Amy ( the girl i wrote about right at the start of the thread) had gone to her crying saying we had had a go at her telling her she is a liar, but it wasn't like that we said it in the nicest way possible. I just told her to get lost because it was nothing to do with her but you know what people get like when they stick their noses into other peoples buisness just to get in on the argument.

I do feel really sorry for poeple like that because they must be so insecure to feel that they need to lie all the time just to have something to talk about.

(Original post by lollie)
    It makes you feel soooooooo bad when they start crying though doesn't it? Well i ended up having an argument with this other girl in my year when Amy ( the girl i wrote about right at the start of the thread) had gone to her crying saying we had had a go at her telling her she is a liar, but it wasn't like that we said it in the nicest way possible. I just told her to get lost because it was nothing to do with her but you know what people get like when they stick their noses into other peoples buisness just to get in on the argument.

I do feel really sorry for poeple like that because they must be so insecure to feel that they need to lie all the time just to have something to talk about.
    my problem is i don't know if she's lying so it's really hard to have a normal conversation without her bringing up her stuff about it

ReputationRep:
    Isn't it something that people usually grow out of?

ReputationRep:
    i really dislike compulsive liars. they just make you wanna punch the truth outta them!

i dont know any liars well, but some exxagerators. UUGHH!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yo-less)
    my problem is i don't know if she's lying so it's really hard to have a normal conversation without her bringing up her stuff about it
    I know, once you have realisied that they are liars you dont know if you should believe anything they ever say, even if it is just little things. You just stand there when you are talking to them thinking: "Hmmm i wonder if that is true." Or "Thats probably a lie" I think some people lie so much they even start to belive their own lies.

(Original post by lollie)
    I know, once you have realisied that they are liars you dont know if you should believe anything they ever say, even if it is just little things. You just stand there when you are talking to them thinking: "Hmmm i wonder if that is true." Or "Thats probably a lie" I think some people lie so much they even start to belive their own lies.

you're absolutely right about the mistrust it creates i hardly believe anything she says now and the way she acts really...i dunno,i find it very hard to deal with people like this cos i don't understand them

ReputationRep:
    ive got such a friend too. i dont think u can do anything abt it. and since u are friends with her she shouldnt have at least lied to u and ur other pal .

ReputationRep:
    like peter and the wolf!!!!! when the truth is told after lies and lies, the truth will become fib.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 18, 2005
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.