Turn on thread page Beta

International Applicant to Cambridge watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey! Are any of you doing anything special (email/phone) to try to find out what the Cambridge results are early? Or do you think they will be posted on UCAS too? I'm scared. More than anything, I just want the wait to be over. Good-luck to everyone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Girl234)
    Hey! Are any of you doing anything special (email/phone) to try to find out what the Cambridge results are early? Or do you think they will be posted on UCAS too? I'm scared. More than anything, I just want the wait to be over. Good-luck to everyone.
    I guess they won't tell you over the phone/email because of security reasons???

so all you can do is wait like what I am doing now

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh! Did you call and ask? Maybe it varies from college to college. I'd wonder though if security reasons is a good argument, if you can provide them with you applicant number/some other random info. wouldn't that be enough? I know I shouldn't be so rushed rushed rushed, but I have 4 college application for other schools which I don't want to go to and if I knew about Cambridge, I could decide if I should blow the application fee or not.

ReputationRep:
    Oh hey. I wanna know the results too! Where are you from btw? I'm an international student as well and I've been so restless since I came back from interviews.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Girl234)
    Ahhh! Did you call and ask? Maybe it varies from college to college. I'd wonder though if security reasons is a good argument, if you can provide them with you applicant number/some other random info. wouldn't that be enough? I know I shouldn't be so rushed rushed rushed, but I have 4 college application for other schools which I don't want to go to and if I knew about Cambridge, I could decide if I should blow the application fee or not.
    No I did not call and ask. Go and have a try then you have nothing lose if you really want to know! Which college did you apply for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by akk713)
    No I did not call and ask. Go and have a try then you have nothing lose if you really want to know! Which college did you apply for?
    You think it'd be weird though? Like I'd hate to call them and get an answer like "Umm.. err.. we're sorry yoou've been rejected".. that would be devastating! And I'd mumble a reply saying "Thanks so much for your help" and just pass out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilsunflower)
    You think it'd be weird though? Like I'd hate to call them and get an answer like "Umm.. err.. we're sorry yoou've been rejected".. that would be devastating! And I'd mumble a reply saying "Thanks so much for your help" and just pass out.
    then whyd you considering calling in the first place then? For me I just wanna know if I have been accepted or not instead of hanging it over in my head for ages!!

ReputationRep:
    Sorry lilsunflower I thought you were girl234

sorry! :P

ReputationRep:
    I applied to Clare - I'm from the United States, but I have EU citizenship. Okay, so if we all call, then maybe they'll feel bad and tell us? Also I was just considering having my mother call... I don't want to start crying on the phone to some stranger.

ReputationRep:
    I too have applications in progress for US universities...they are very stressful, with different essays to write for every university.
    If I could find out my reply from Cambridge, I could decide whether I would have to work really hard for these applications or just slack off. Don't think that's gonna happen since the deadline for these are on the 1st and 2nd of January...but then again, I've spent so much time on them already I might as well finish them...=P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wong)
    I too have applications in progress for US universities...they are very stressful, with different essays to write for every university.
    If I could find out my reply from Cambridge, I could decide whether I would have to work really hard for these applications or just slack off. Don't think that's gonna happen since the deadline for these are on the 1st and 2nd of January...but then again, I've spent so much time on them already I might as well finish them...=P
    The US system has always amazed me, with the huge emphasis on extra-curriculars and essays.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Radagasty)
    The US system has always amazed me, with the huge emphasis on extra-curriculars and essays.
    They are quite different indeed.
    Out of the 3 I am applying to...only MIT has interviews and those are optional as well! But obviously for such a competitive college, the more information you can provide, the better, so really, anything they say is optional really means you will be disadvantaged if you don't do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Radagasty)
    I KNOW! I had to write a 'peer evaluation' for my friend applying for a scholarship there. I swear it was harder than writing my own personal statement. It was so so stressful Poo

ReputationRep:
    I KNOW! I had to write a 'peer evaluation' for my friend applying for a scholarship there. I swear it was harder than writing my own personal statement. It was so so stressful Poo
    "Peer evaluation"??? like a reference from a FRIEND????

ReputationRep:
    "Peer evaluation"??? like a reference from a FRIEND????
    Yeppers. Like having to say all sorts of nice stuff about her from a peer's perspective. THey said it had to be personal with lots of examples and candid. Lolz.. such a bum.

ReputationRep:
    Yeppers. Like having to say all sorts of nice stuff about her from a peer's perspective. THey said it had to be personal with lots of examples and candid. Lolz.. such a bum.
    I wonder how useful it can be you can just write you yourself and get your friend sign it. I wonder if there's something like parent evaluation??

ReputationRep:
    I wonder how useful it can be you can just write you yourself and get your friend sign it. I wonder if there's something like parent evaluation??
    Yeh exactly. That is what most people do. But I did a pretty good job and she liked it and didn't even change it. It's pretty whacked. B ut then again, you could get a really smart friend to write all the essays too. Who would know right?

ReputationRep:
    Heh, I've never heard of the "peer evaluation" thing before.

I just finished my Brown application last night (11:15pm, new year's eve) and it was tough. The whole time I was just wishing that I could hear from Cambridge that instant and save myself all the trouble of writing my essays.

Good things about US applications:
    -unconditional offers
    -interviews are much less intimidating and much less formal. Usually they're done by university alumi over a warm cup of coffee in Starbucks or something similar
    -credit from A-levels (often you can skip your first year of uni)
    -the option of "early decision"

Bad things about US applications:
    -the sheer number of difficult essays you have to do
    -the lack of a UCAS "one application only" system
    -the graduate-only entry for courses such as medicine (i.e. a second round of applications)
    -SAT's! (and also the MCAT for medics)
    ...and of course, the legal drinking age is 21 in the US.

All in all, I still prefer the UK system much better than the US. One UCAS application is bad enough as it is, so why bother with more? (then again, the chance of getting an unconditional offer in December is nice )

ReputationRep:
    I don't know about peer evaluation...but I do know in the Princeton application you can submit an optional reference, and you can give this to practically anyone to write, your dad, your piano teacher, your best friend...whoever.
    there are also many who asks u short questions such as "Give us two words which your friends would describe you as"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wong)
    I don't know about peer evaluation...but I do know in the Princeton application you can submit an optional reference, and you can give this to practically anyone to write, your dad, your piano teacher, your best friend...whoever.
    there are also many who asks u short questions such as "Give us two words which your friends would describe you as"
    I didn't get any weird short ones like that, but I was asked some very vague essay questions. One in particular:

"What is your vision of a physician? What is your role as a future physician?" (3500 characters)

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.